CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Don't make me talk about what happened with your vVv Skyline team...   :walshy:  

Throwback: gallery_7276_302_11920.png

lol vVv, which for some reason never stood for Veni Vedi Vici

• Upvote (+1) 1

i dont think it will crash and i don't think it will damage esports as a whole if it fails. this is something else @@GoldenboyFTW mentioned in that twitch video which i agree with: you aren't going to get the people who have been investing to put $20mil on the line without a clearly defined direction and strong opportunity for growth. i'm glad a lot of sports team owners like robert kraft are involved, because they know how to build and market a brand within a city based league. they might be shitty people who can't build a good football team (kroenke) but they know how to make it profitable. not only will they be looking for tv licencing (HotS is on Disney XD and another disney owned company has the rights to LoL) but they will use their 5 local events/year to create a type of grassroots/local scene that can even act as a farm league for the OWL team

do i wish the buy out was lower? of course. i can't find the espn article, but some prospective teams have stated that they wished the price of the OWL buy in (20) and the NALCS expansion buy in (~10) were reversed and they'd go for both instead of just NALCS. but if someone like hecz and some of the other participants see something worthwhile here, then i think it will be a good league that will hopefully become something much larger

My concern with Overwatch is that I don't see it as the right game for this type of league structure...

Halve the buy-in and make it CS and you have a winner.  Incredibly popular.  Very simple to understand for casual and new viewers but very deep for people that want to get into that. Easier to cast with some really great casters. Longer history of growth and good viewership numbers.

• Upvote (+1) 7

-good post snip-

that's a good point, the people involved in OWL are no joke

my biggest concern is that there won't be enough fan interest to sustain this thing

My concern with Overwatch is that I don't see it as the right game for this type of league structure...

Halve the buy-in and make it CS and you have a winner.  Incredibly popular.  Very simple to understand for casual and new viewers but very deep for people that want to get into that. Easier to cast with some really great casters. Longer history of growth and good viewership numbers.

valve needs to do this, i would be so hype for a geolocated CSGO league

• Upvote (+1) 3

while i agree that a more popular game could pullit off better, an established community like CS, LoL, Dota would shit itself if pushed into a change like this. EULCS is moving this direction though so it could be a tester to see if riot can revive a shrinking scene. i doubt they'd change the LCK and the NALCS is currently in expansion so that could be an option, but i would imagine most games will not like such a drastic change.

with OW you have a scene that is fairly new and unestablished that is going to be anchored by a shit ton of money that should guarantee a few years of operation and owners who should know what they are doing. it'll just have to play out to see if it works well. hopefully they learned from fucking up starcraft. maybe, maybe not. i don't think it'll hurt esports, just blizzard if it blows up. people will still want to watch cod, LoL, dota, halo (hopefully) which is more important to esports as a whole

• Upvote (+1) 1

while i agree that a more popular game could pullit off better, an established community like CS, LoL, Dota would shit itself if pushed into a change like this. EULCS is moving this direction though so it could be a tester to see if riot can revive a shrinking scene. i doubt they'd change the LCK and the NALCS is currently in expansion so that could be an option, but i would imagine most games will not like such a drastic change.

with OW you have a scene that is fairly new and unestablished that is going to be anchored by a shit ton of money that should guarantee a few years of operation and owners who should know what they are doing. it'll just have to play out to see if it works well. hopefully they learned from fucking up starcraft. maybe, maybe not. i don't think it'll hurt esports, just blizzard if it blows up. people will still want to watch cod, LoL, dota, halo (hopefully) which is more important to esports as a whole

NALCS is switching to franchising next year, and they've had over 100 teams apply for it, including some EU teams.

• Upvote (+1) 2

NALCS is switching to franchising next year, and they've had over 100 teams apply for it, including some EU teams.

but they don't have to be based out of a certain locale, at least as far as i understood. ant the 4 eu teams applying to na have all opted to play in london

Thought this was a more fun way of announcing Bravo's return for London, than how things are normally done. Event is shaping up beautifully; hyped to get in the booth! 

who the fuck is Bravo

Seriously what is this tweet even talking about? There was 5 posts about him and they were either complimenting him or being sympathetic. Then a completely different OW discussion formed that has nothing to do with him?

I just read so many tweets of his.  Odds of that being shitlin are high.

Don't make me talk about what happened with your vVv Skyline team...   :walshy:  

Throwback: gallery_7276_302_11920.png

Don't know what you're talking about. Never heard of it. 

Everyone just needs to embrace our new bridge troll status at Team Beyond.

We did it, boys.

Does that replace or go alongside our toxic status?