CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

the argument i dont like is that some people like halo's current direction. i'm sure there are people who could play this game all day and love every minute of it, but there is no denying that the majority of the player base is gone. hell im sure a lot of them left xbox after mcc.

i miss struggling in h3, because when i pulled off a double with sniper or went crazy positive i felt like i accomplished something and felt like i improved. with halo:r/4/5 i felt like i was handed good stats to entice me to stay. i mean cool i got a triple by no scoping but i'm pretty sure i should have missed one of those and the other shot hit a foot but was a head shot. 

take this with a grain of salt b/c im the guy who plays the witcher and mass effect on narrative mode (i have a wife and 2 kids. when i can play i want to story and to explore the world in those game, not grind a corridor) but when i play multiplayer games, i want to be challenged and improve myself. i don't want my competitive shoot to hand me good numbers and a smiley face sticker, i want to grind till i progress and rank up based on my merit alone. i miss that type of halo.

anyways, thank you TB for keeping me interested in this game. this community is top tier and i promise i won't forget my password

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

the argument i dont like is that some people like halo's current direction. i'm sure there are people who could play this game all day and love every minute of it, but there is no denying that the majority of the player base is gone.

I've always said 343s opinion polling methods/ways of collecting data are completely flawed in that they avoid the fact that they have alienated the vast majority of Halos fanbase. They've essentially pushed away 90% of Halo players with poor decisions and then polled the remaining 10% on how they like the decisions- well obviously those people like the new mechanics, they're the minority that has stuck around for them!

• Upvote (+1) 3

bruhhhhhhhhhh Toby Carvery is the shit, I rarely have roast dinners but when I get one from there I go all in, get literally everything

Literally as much as i can fit on the plate, swimming in gravy. 

Got to stop thinking about it, not at all conducive to getting shit done.

• Upvote (+1) 1

While it's cool that Ninja's clip about Halo esports sucking might be getting media coverage, I wish it were someone else. Ninja is not a very well spoken person, he isn't able to organize and present his thoughts in a way that clearly illustrates the problems we are facing. If someone were to watch that video they would not walk away with a good understanding of what we are dealing with in the HCS. But it's something, anyway.

I would understand this if it were a video solely on the purpose of the current state of Halo, but it isn't. This is his personal update on his situation as well why he is stepping. Hard to blame him(I know you aren't) for not having a structured list and examples(he and others have done these types before). It'd probably send more of a message if other pros used this time to make their own opinion. A series of frustration from current guys instead of one dude who is leaving and that's that. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

While it's cool that Ninja's clip about Halo esports sucking might be getting media coverage, I wish it were someone else. Ninja is not a very well spoken person, he isn't able to organize and present his thoughts in a way that clearly illustrates the problems we are facing. If someone were to watch that video they would not walk away with a good understanding of what we are dealing with in the HCS. But it's something, anyway.

What Halo Pro could ?. Most are not very smart.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Also, is anyone here from Florida? We got some weird ass food last night that was like raw dough marinara sauce and some mozzarella cheese? It tasted like card board but I think you guys call it something like pizza. Different cultures are crazy.

Watch yourself!  :ace:

Pretty decent Pizza in Florida bro.... maybe not close to NY or Chicago but Sarasota has a joint called IL Panificio's that is like crack and in Titusville there is a place called Valentino's that is straight legit.

They've essentially pushed away 90% of Halo players with poor decisions and then polled the remaining 10% on how they like the decisions- well obviously those people like the new mechanics, they're the minority that has stuck around for them!

We hired people who hated Halo, to make Halo!  :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey buddy, they don't have to be.

8sTaqaj.jpg

I tried very hard to remove this memory from my brain. It always comes back.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tilted from the very start of it where it says Crimsix was a Halo pro player that switched to CoD.  He played competitive CoD before he played Halo Reach at MLG. :/

Semantics really. He was a Halo pro that did switch(back) to CoD. It doesn't state that he started there. 

Edit: What about it..works for you? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Note on the feedback situation with HCS London coming up, im always open to feedback / ideas etc when it comes to the event. I'm on this forum multiple times per day so just tag me and ill make a note or give you a response if I can, or seek out the answers as quickly as possible. 

Less stream downtime.

Stick to a schedule - no "stay tuned" or resetting countdowns.

Secondary stream.  Doesn't even have to have casters or be a quad view, just show us a single POV if need be.

Crowd mics.

No HW2 ads.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I work tech support for an online company, and sometimes I have to deal with people who are very angry about our product and hate certain aspects about it. Talking with these people sucks, it feels like they're attacking you sometimes (even though that's a stupid thought [although sometimes they are actually attacking you]) - but that's part of the job. Our company takes pride in our support and communication, and believes it's even more important to talk to the openly negative people than the people who love everything. If I just ignored everyone who had a problem with our product, or was angry about an issue, that would be the opposite of productive.

343 should listen and communicate with those who are angry or obnoxious, cause those are usually the ones with something to say. And then when they're done talking to those people they can look at their coworkers and do the jerk off motion and point to the screen - that's fine, it helps. But at least they learned something or at least defused a situation.

I just moved from support to QA (thank god) and know how that is.  A LOT of the time, simply acknowledging that you hear someone even if the fix they need is a ways off decreases tension immeasurably.  You need to back that up and fix things though so the next time there is an issue they have more faith.

Of course some people are just dicks period, and you need to learn to recognize that and not engage.

People skills lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Im actually glad to read that thread. It's a prime example of big companies being data driven and risk adverse impacting their ability to operate in industries that feed off of flexibility.

By actively not taking risks (in this case open communication, and streamlined feedback loops) they are actually lowering the likihood of success- making the endevour riskier.

If you want success in esports, and gaming in general you HAVE to be immediately responsive to the consumer. We are fickle, and have a million other choices. The competition is running laps around Halo, while 343 are still in committee, figuring out how to do what's already been done.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Tilted from the very start of it where it says Crimsix was a Halo pro player that switched to CoD.  He played competitive CoD before he played Halo Reach at MLG. :/

Yeah I noticed this, later on in the article they say 'Enable and Formal' so I think they got the wrong Ian. Least they didn't get the wrong Karma.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm convinced Bungie sabotaged Reach so Destiny would be huge and people would follow Bungie not Halo after the abysmal game Reach was. Genius in a way ... but Reach was the least appealing game ive ever played. Halo should have strayed away instantly but instead we followed along and somehow made settings worse.. Halo couldn't code KoTh, made oddball the weight of a piece of paper, the flag couldn't be dropped and always had an indicator above their head, and strayed even further away from what everyone chose to love early on in Halo's history. Then we get H2A, broken game on launch, 3 maps, but at least we had gametypes that worked.. only for H5 to come out and remove the best new gametype we saw from H4, completely trash Oddball and KoTh, two of the most iconic gametypes from Halo and now we have been stuck playing the same 3 gametypes on a ton of different maps that have all become stale because there are literally no good replacement maps. I really am just hoping all of our complaining goes into H6 and we can get a solid launch with a game that creates constant content keeping people around. There is way too much public info for H6 at launch to be a bust if they listen, I am just hoping they find ways to keep people interested if the game is going to be on another 3 year lifecycle. I read all of what I typed above and just ask myself .. "how many conflicting ideas are going on at 343" it's like no one is on the same page when designing these game traits

I've said it before, but I don't think Bungie even wanted to do it. Microsoft has always been money hungry. Also this reaffirms my thoughts on some of the directions 343 "decides" to go with. I think 343 being the brainchild of M$, is more malleable.

sHPN7PK.jpg

I wish they ended it after 3. I wish I could be looking at the Halo franchise(trilogy) with rose colored glasses and not see the shell it is now. I wish we were all discussing what would have been Bungie's next series that may not have even been Destiny but a natural progression from Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

:apg:

More people pointing out that there's no budget or money to be had to run these events.

Still waiting for moses to explain how this apperent lack of funds translates into MLG getting paid a shit ton of money to run the same events.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm convinced Bungie sabotaged Reach so Destiny would be huge and people would follow Bungie not Halo after the abysmal game Reach was. Genius in a way ... but Reach was the least appealing game ive ever played. Halo should have strayed away instantly but instead we followed along and somehow made settings worse..even after improving them with NBNS? Yet somehow we add sprint right back into the game without a toggle option. Halo couldn't code KoTh, made oddball the weight of a piece of paper, the flag couldn't be dropped and always had an indicator above their head, and strayed even further away from what everyone chose to love early on in Halo's history. Then we get H2A, broken game on launch, 3 maps, but at least we had gametypes that worked.. only for H5 to come out and remove the best new gametype we saw from H4, completely trash Oddball and KoTh, two of the most iconic gametypes from Halo and now we have been stuck playing the same 3 gametypes on a ton of different maps that have all become stale because there are literally no good replacement maps. I really am just hoping all of our complaining goes into H6 and we can get a solid launch with a game that creates constant content keeping people around. There is way too much public info for H6 at launch to be a bust if they listen, I am just hoping they find ways to keep people interested if the game is going to be on another 3 year lifecycle. I read all of what I typed above and just ask myself .. "how many conflicting ideas are going on at 343" it's like no one is on the same page when designing these game traits

I've said it before, but I don't think Bungie even wanted to do it. Microsoft has always been money hungry. Also this reaffirms my thoughts on some of the directions 343 "decides" to go with. I think 343 being the brainchild of M$, is more malleable.

sHPN7PK.jpg

Ugh. the whole Halo scene is just artificial. No real blood and sweat being pumped into it like other more successful scenes. All we get is pocket change to run events and PR-hires to piss on the fires 343i/M$ creates.