CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Our current situation is just Michael Scott’s Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race for the Cure. They want the big cheques and fancy events but they didn't do the simple things (like make the course a circle).

Well said, and soon to be Scott's Tots.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Could some of these teams get their shit together and start scrimming already? wtf.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Could some of these teams get their shit together and start scrimming already? wtf.

HCS feels non existent. Rough feeling. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

HCS feels non existent. Rough feeling. 

The only reason I know the date for DH is because it's a few weeks before CoD WWII :stressed:

• Upvote (+1) 2

The only reason I know the date for DH is because it's a few weeks before CoD WWII :stressed:

only reason I know Is because its the only halo event planned besides london lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

at least we can look forward to information about format changes soonTM in the coming months

We need a pre-season LAN to help these breaks or something. This break is way too long. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

WW2 is Nov 3rd

DM is October 20-22 

A little under 2 weeks. Less for players that have connects and get games early 

Why are we using the Super Bowl as an analogy though. Why not the sport as a whole? Most people who watch football week in and week out don't play it. Many of them have never played it in their entire lifetime. Many got onboard because someone close to them was onboard.

The NFL and its partners do a number of things to make the presentation entertaining for people who otherwise would have no reason to invest all. a lot of that is due to the explanatory commentary, the storyline building, the statistics, and community outreach.

Obviously, HCS can't operate on that sort of scale, but there are definately lessons to be learned as far as making Halo viewer friendly and broadly appealing - presentation and social media plays a key roles in that, and HCS is laughable in those areas.

No, I'm trying to dispel the notion that solid presentation isn't worth investing in. Halo 5 is Halo 5, it's not going to become a better game before it gets EOLd. But it can become a better esport with the flip of a few switches and some decent planning.

Sure fighting games are dwarfed by LoL and CSGO, but they also dwarf Halo w/o having Halo sized investments. So how big would Halo5's competitive scene be if it kept its budget But spent more on a better format + presentation?

if Halo 5 maximized what could be done with its user base, the scene would be thriving - despite the game being shitty...

Sports don't really function in the same manner as esports. The entry level to actually playing the game is so, so much lower with a video game then it is with a sport. As far as the NFL goes watching the games is the activity. There are plenty of other pro football leagues that nobody watches. That's why I wanted to narrow it down to just the NFL, not football as a whole.

The Superbowl(and many, many other large spectacles) draw in so many outside viewers because the popularity of the NFL internally hit critical mass. The SB became such a big deal to football fans that non football fans became interested.

I agree that Halo esports would obviously be in a better place with better presentation. My point is that Halo is never going to get up to the level of what we just saw out of the COD worlds without the game itself growing first. No matter the presentation level. If you counted all COD players playing COD games released in 2015 and on and did the same for Halo, the COD playerbase dominates Halo's. This is an undeniably huge factor in the health of their esports scenes. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

but we have a long history of that energy. we still have it. splyce v optic was insane and intense even with the settings we have. in person that would have been awesome and i would love to know the reactions of people who dont normally watch halo who were there. i can almost guarantee that the energy was infectious. but on stream, it falls flat. improve the stream and you draw in those viewers with that energy. if we couldve heard the crowd during that coli ctf, you would see that we have the energy and passion needed to be a great spectator stream. its the series of small and continual mistakes  that kill us. poor audio, no crowd mics (while they talk about how hyped the crowd is), excessive downtime, great series on periscope, no content designed for emotional attachment. fix the production mistakes and keep it consistent over a few events and watch those viewer counts rise

That's not what I mean.

That energy comes from high stakes and high stakes come from A LOT of people caring about the outcome. Halo doesn't have that.

You could play the most intense, well played game of ultimate frisbee of all time and have the best, most high quality presentation out there. On lookers that aren't ultimate frisbee fans are still going to be like "meh" because not enough people care about ultimate frisbee for there to be palpable energy and high stakes.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You could play the most intense, well played game of ultimate frisbee of all time and have the best, most high quality presentation out there. On lookers that aren't ultimate frisbee fans are still going to be like "meh" because not enough people care about ultimate frisbee for there to be palpable energy and high stakes.

eyXeXfQ.gif

https://streamable.com/76cbb

• Upvote (+1) 2