CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Lol

COD has atleast 10 times as many active players.

A change in event organisers isn't going to drop COD below halo.

I was going to post a long winded response to this, but I will just say that IW is known as one of the worst CoDs ever, if not the worst at a casual level. MLG's involvement and Optic's success carried CoD this year.

I 2nd SciKho here. Pretty sure out of those 200,000 viewers this past weekend less than half actually play IW. 

This is all purely opinion and I'm not going to take the time to go dig up some numbers but IW sales were crap, twitch viewers are crap, and usually more people are playing BO3 than IW on xbox live. 

Old group of college friends that played COD religiously either play BO3 or 2 and never bought IW. Other people I know that are still the COD tryhard type play MW remastered gamebattles not IW. So yeah, just opinion but what MLG did with IW is no less than a miracle. Also you have the Optic juice which, kinda like this weekends viewers, I bet that most of Optic's viewers don't actually play IW... Optic is way beyond that. 

Fixing shit without having to go through MS/Sony certification also helps. But yea, Bluehole has been doing an incredible job with updates. I'm so glad I went against my initial thoughts and tried the game out. So much fun.

You can't actually believe this.

What did the world champs finals viewership top out at? 200k? The game sold 10+ MILLION copies.

Esports is growing but it's still niche. Especially when it comes to console games.

The esports scene does not carry any console game.

IW survived because COD is still incredibly popular even despite its popularity downturn due to its gameplay alterations.

Halo didn't stay popular at all when it switched up its ganeplay.

The amount of copies CoD IW sold means very little. What matters is how many people stuck around. IW is terrible and the twitch viewer numbers for streamers is proof of that. The bright side to CoD pumping a new game out every year is that the fans of the franchise will always be a customer. Halo on the other hand has 3 to 4 year life cycle, and we usually have no idea what we are going to get with the new game until a couple of months before release which hurts the hype.

Halo has a lot more issues than whether or not your spartan can sprint. That is only one of many reasons why Halo isn't popular anymore. It all boils down 343 failing to understand it's community, both casual and competitive.

The HCS budget is tiny but they're going to suddenly pay MLG the big bucks..

Mks0gC0.png

EbYiwfU.png

You can't actually believe this.

What did the world champs finals viewership top out at? 200k? The game sold 10+ MILLION copies.

Esports is growing but it's still niche. Especially when it comes to console games.

The esports scene does not carry any console game.

IW survived because COD is still incredibly popular even despite its popularity downturn due to its gameplay alterations.

Halo didn't stay popular at all when it switched up its ganeplay.

halo 5 sold over 5 million. game sales mean very little. if you make a game fun to watch, viewers will be there. i have never plated dota, league of legends, cs:go, or iw and i dont intend to but i will watch them. i know i'm not the only one like this. also halo has a history that most games don't have. if people hear that the product/venues/stream is good again, they will come watch

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The support they provide on a hourly, weekly and monthly basis is 2nd to maybe Valve.

Hahahahhaa

Valve provides awful support for Steam and CS:GO. The recent major was one of the worst since DreamHack Cluj Napoca 2015 due to a horrific group stage (delays, matches not on stream, tech issues, and a poor format) and they released a "test" for weapon balances that is still being tested months later which affect the game at lower skill levels (people tend to buy a $2,000 machine gun that turns into a laser after 2 seconds affecting eco buys at lower skill levels). The pistols are still OP in CS, CS has no community manager, and the game has become worse over the years performance wise. 

• Downvote (-1) 3

This is how you do a trailer :apg:

I haven't bought a CoD game since MW3, and the more videos of WWII I see, the more excited I get! 

Im gunna be casting the event he's talking about and so far clocked up over 300 hours, im keeping a close track of the meta development but also game development. Its insane to see the support and fix rate for this game, 1 thing in particular stuck out to me.

As picking up items with a key is slower than dragging items into your inventory (due to animation) they put a delay on drag and drop to try even it out between players. Everyone kicked off and rightly so as it is a better way of doing it, drag/drop is something that should be part of it as it takes more skill than clicking stuff (there is deffo a tiny skill to it). ~24 hours later and... https://twitter.com/pubattlegrounds/status/892929724908838912

Acting on feedback and fixing issues in hours/days is why its now the 2nd highest concurrent players on steam overtaking CSGO and selling 6.5 million in early access. Honestly call me a sellout and apologies for going OT but the level of support is nothing or anything like i've seen before from any game dev out there.

Not to mention the game is FUN AND ENJOYABLE. 

I can't wait for competitive gameplay man. 

friendly reminder that amazon gives a 20% discount on games for prime members if you buy 2 weeks before or after launch. also if you preorder, they charge the lowest price between the time of preorder and launch. 

/shill

• Upvote (+1) 2

Funny you say that..

https://twitter.com/AaGuy_/status/896844377305358337

You don't see anybody from Gears or CoD clambering to get ESL back, they may be good on PC's but they seem to do a 180 once consoles get involved.

From the digging and asking around ive done, the csgo guys arent the biggest fans of esl either. Some of the same basic/novice issues (yet they claim to be the premier/elite TO) just not nearly as bad as in halo from i gathered.

The amount of copies CoD IW sold means very little. What matters is how many people stuck around. IW is terrible and the twitch viewer numbers for streamers is proof of that. The bright side to CoD pumping a new game out every year is that the fans of the franchise will always be a customer. Halo on the other hand has 3 to 4 year life cycle, and we usually have no idea what we are going to get with the new game until a couple of months before release which hurts the hype.

Halo has a lot more issues than whether or not your spartan can sprint. That is only one of many reasons why Halo isn't popular anymore. It all boils down 343 failing to understand it's community, both casual and competitive.

You hit on a key point there. Because COD releases every year it can survive through bad games. That's what's keeping COD afloat. Not MLG.

COD the franchise still has a massive playerbase. It's just a little fractured at the moment. Whether someone is playing IW, Blops 3 or MWR, they're still an invested COD fan. This is where IW is getting its viewers from.

If COD was on a three year cycle and released AW, Blops 3 and IW. It would be in serious trouble. Whether it was connected to MLG or not.

I also don't understand the logic in this thread that states COD ww2 is going to be a massive hit because of gameplay alterations but Halo cannot bounce back due to gameplay alterations.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You hit on a key point there. Because COD releases every year it can survive through bad games. That's what's keeping COD afloat. Not MLG.

COD the franchise still has a massive playerbase. It's just a little fractured at the moment. Whether someone is playing IW, Blops 3 or MWR, they're still an invested COD fan. This is where IW is getting its viewers from.

If COD was on a three year cycle and released AW, Blops 3 and IW. It would be in serious trouble. Whether it was connected to MLG or not.

I also don't understand the logic in this thread that states COD ww2 is going to be a massive hit because of gameplay alterations but Halo cannot bounce back due to gameplay alterations.

Nothing is certain for yearly titles, look what happened to Guitar Hero, Assassin's Creed, etc.

Halo is in a identity crisis trying to cater to all but pleasing no one, the Halo I get up with and played with friends is long dead, people are now nostalgic about Halo: Reach of all things since most of the masses have moved on. I'm not sure you can fix Halo at this point, at least not with 343i behind the wheel.

CoD saw the down slope of wall-running / jetpacks and fixed it with traditional gameplay, Halo doubled down what people disliked in Halo: Reach and gave us Halo 4. Now we have Halo 5, a half-baked Halo game with half the features of a title released 8 years prior.

Nothing is certain for yearly titles, look what happened to Guitar Hero, Assassin's Creed, etc.

Halo is in a identity crisis, the Halo I get up with and played with friends is long dead, people are now nostalgic about Halo: Reach of all things since most of the masses have moved on. I'm not sure you can fix Halo at this point, at least not with 343i behind the wheel.

Time to bust this out? 

cRDCYEA.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Mks0gC0.png

EbYiwfU.png

halo 5 sold over 5 million. game sales mean very little. if you make a game fun to watch, viewers will be there. i have never plated dota, league of legends, cs:go, or iw and i dont intend to but i will watch them. i know i'm not the only one like this. also halo has a history that most games don't have. if people hear that the product/venues/stream is good again, they will come watch

Name a big esport that has a tiny player population. You cant.

Lol, csgo, PUBG may draw a lot of eyes who don't play now but they never would have been big enough in the first place if hordes of people weren't playing the game.

A game has to hit critical mass in terms of internal popularity before it will start drawing in eyes that don't play the game.

Now matter how good halo events are the game has nowhere near the internal popularity right now to draw a sizeable amount of non player viewers.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Name a big esport that has a tiny player population. You cant.

Lol, csgo, PUBG may draw a lot of eyes who don't play now but they never would have been big enough in the first place if hordes of people weren't playing the game.

A game has to hit critical mass in terms of internal popularity before it will start drawing in eyes that don't play the game.

Now matter how good halo events are the game has nowhere near the internal popularity right now to draw a sizeable amount of non player viewers.

Fighting Games. SFV sold less than 2million but had over 500k watch the EVO finals. Not to mention theres tournaments every week which hit higher numbers easily than Halo tournaments viewership wise.

• Upvote (+1) 4

i just want to know why you think sprint is the worst offender out of poor aiming, blank shots, large hitboxes, broken spectator mode, spartan abilities, lack of map/gametype variety, imbalanced weapons, radar, etc. of all things wrong with halo 5, sprint is the least of my concerns as removing it does nothing to help anything else

Time to bust this out? 

cRDCYEA.jpg

the day we reminisce about halo 4 is the day i kill myself, get sent to hell, and have to play that game with agl brad

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

i just want to know why you think sprint is the worst offender out of poor aiming, blank shots, large hitboxes, broken spectator mode, spartan abilities, lack of map/gametype variety, imbalanced weapons, radar, etc. of all things wrong with halo 5, sprint is the least of my concerns as removing it does nothing to help anything else

the day we reminisce about halo 4 is the day i kill myself, get sent to hell, and have to play that game with agl brad

It's already started happening here lately  :stern:

Halo is in a identity crisis trying to cater to all but pleasing no one, the Halo I get up with and played with friends is long dead, people are now nostalgic about Halo: Reach of all things since most of the masses have moved on. I'm not sure you can fix Halo at this point, at least not with 343i behind the wheel.

CoD saw the down slope of wall-running / jetpacks and fixed it with traditional gameplay, Halo doubled down what people disliked in Halo: Reach and gave us Halo 4. Now we have Halo 5, a half-baked Halo game with half the features of a title released 8 years prior.

See I think this is where we end up disagreeing. You think it's too late to fix halo. I don't.

Halo sales are declining but they're still incredibly high for a console exclusive. If you compare just xb1 game sales h5 didn't do too badly.

To me this shows that there are still tons of people invested in halo. People are showing up. They're just not staying.

If you have a birthday party and tons of people show up but leave 10 mins later. Lots of people like you. There's just something wrong with that specific party.

• Upvote (+1) 3

From the digging and asking around ive done, the csgo guys arent the biggest fans of esl either. Some of the same basic/novice issues (yet they claim to be the premier/elite TO) just not nearly as bad as in halo from i gathered.

A few shitty technical issues aside if Halo had what ESL provides for the CSGO scene we would absolutely shit our paints. Like people would probably die from shock. They do big stadium events well and on a consistent basis. ESL One Cologne their most recent event; 15,000 people in the venue, 339,555 concurrent viewer stream peak (not even sure that includes other languages).