CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Evil x3

i really hope this doesnt push the hcs into teaming with esl for another year. i dont think competitive halo will survive on seasons with more downtime than games

• Upvote (+1) 1

I totally get it. Rostermania is a part of what makes competitive Halo itself.

what's odd to me is that this really wasn't true in previous years ... Walshy being dropped or Neighbor going to tD were huge deals because it was so rare for the top 4-6 teams to change players

• Upvote (+1) 1

Shotzzy made his past broadcasts subscriber only  :mj:  RIP lunch break videos

time for an Amazon prime subscription my friend

People didn't really interact, talk about Halo, or react to any of their games and matches. They came in with their individual friends, sat down and played, got up and waited with the same people, and then played some more. I shared a line or two with some of the players when settings up lobbies for them but the most interaction I had was with a cringey Waypointer.

I dunno, there was more interaction at my store ... I think the whole idea was to bring together all Halo communities (not meant to be a super-competitive environment, as Tashi pointed out).  My store had Grifball / Waypoint people talking to competitive players

I'd be very surprised, John has commented on here before saying its not worth it for them and the owner i'm sure mentioned it on twitter too.

Edit: nvm just saw @@mediabrute's post  :sleeping:

I'd be jumping for joy if we signed a halo team for sure, you'd all be the first to know. This is where I started and it's still my dream, but right now not in the cards.

Clerkie has repeatedly, adamantly put forth that he will never get a Halo team

To be fair, you also have to take things people say out loud with a grain of salt. We've had conversations with many teams that have signed with other organizations in the past in the halo scene, it just has to work out for both sides and we haven't been able to yet.

• Upvote (+1) 3

To me it seems like the stores were instructed to host "Free-for-All" so some of them used generic base FFA settings, but the stores with players participating who were familiar with competitive Halo told their hosts to use the official tournament settings. Pretty much based on the attendance for each store. At my store, there were a decent amount of high skilled players who were all familiar with the competitive scene, so we switched it to tournament ruleset.

--

While I'm here, here's my Microsoft Halo experience:

• I registered online (Name, Gamertag, Email, etc.), and saw on Twitter that Tashi mentioned you didn't need a confirmation email to attendant the event. When I arrived, the employee asked if I had a confirmation email and so instead I gave my name and email for a spreadsheet he had on his laptop. He was a cool guy, handed out free waters and drinks for people, and knew his way around technology enough to be able to sync controllers and help people out with lobbies, accounts, etc. but wasn't really super involved throughout the day.
  • Speaking of which, there wasn't even a fucking tournament at my store. The guy simply had Top 2 from each game stay on the stations and everyone else who wanted to play would just rotate in when the other people got up. There were a decent amount of skilled people who were familiar with competitive Halo, a few randoms who were average, and a few Waypoint-esque characters.
  • Also, their 6th setup didn't have Halo 5 installed so we played 5-man FFAs the whole time.
  • I asked the guy if I needed to stick around until the end (5pm) if I wanted to be entered in any raffles or receive any gifts/prizes and he said that they had nothing to give, so I left after playing about 2 hours of games. Obviously prizing/raffles/REQs and shit were mentioned by 343, but there was no indication that any of that would be handed out, which was disappointing.
  • Headsets weren't provided, it was said they would be.

And that's about it. It was a pretty fun event in the fact that I got to play Halo with a bunch of cool people, but it was nothing like what was promised or advertised haha.

--

However, I want to say one thing. I know I'm a really outside the box thinker when it comes to Halo and a lot of people disagree with me when it comes to topics like universal settings and the game's image, but being in this local environment with such an odd variety of people/fans just validated how I've felt/been feeling about Halo.

Halo has a huge identity crisis in the fact that its fans/players are not appreciating and playing the same game.

Confusion about settings and gameplay, obscenely high mechanical skill floor, and game presentation as a whole made it so the group of players in the store weren't really on the same page. Was this a competitive HCS FFA tournament, or a Microsoft Halo get-together? People didn't really interact, talk about Halo, or react to any of their games and matches. They came in with their individual friends, sat down and played, got up and waited with the same people, and then played some more. I shared a line or two with some of the players when settings up lobbies for them but the most interaction I had was with a cringey Waypointer.

Hosting a local tournament for games is a great way to promote growth and community interaction but Halo's community is so fragmented that different niches can't actually grow simultaneously and its really awkward for them to interact.  I'm super in love with competitive Melee, and its because every time I play the game its with other people who appreciate the same things I do on a 1:1 level. With Halo, it's harder for fans to have synergy and mutual appreciation for the game because of the way 343 has designed and presented the franchise.

My store got the settings right with SA radar and pistols only without anyone having to help them. The girl who was running it had a printed out piece of paper with super specific settings. Not sure why all stores didn't get that.

• Upvote (+1) 7

i think if EG dropped falcated for Ace that would be decent.  Idt ex-OS would make a change but he could improve that team potentially, idk too much about nem or dastroyed so i cant say to much.  If ninja really retired then he would go to LG im pretty sure.  If ninja didnt idk where he would go, maybe apg for Ace on LG idk

the first step in the resurrection of EG is the Twins retiring. They are anchors in H5 and I don't mean that in a good way. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 14

Cratos, Commonly, Spartan, and other similar players just need to be patient and wait this out. This time next year they will still be playing H5 and a lot of the scene will be gone and opportunities should present themselves. IMO there is a chance that players like Huke, Snipedown, Ola, The Twins, Ninja, Heinz, Mikwen, and APG probably won't be competing anymore. We know for a fact that Huke and Ninja are done and that the Twins are most likely done. Should be interesting. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 9

Seeing as I think Ninja is benching himself and unable to make it to Denver since he will be at Twitchcon, May give him time to think if he would be done with Halo at least till fall season is over. I'd like to see Hamy on LG. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Seeing as I think Ninja is benching himself and unable to make it to Denver since he will be at Twitchcon, May give him time to think if he would be done with Halo at least till fall season is over. I'd like to see Hamy on LG. 

99% done IMO. There is very little reason for him to continue to grind a dead franchise when he is a top 10 (maybe top 5) player in a game that is actually popular and arguably more competitive. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Seems like Rayne was running arena(hcs) with Saiyan Trippey and Coa ch Hoaxer last night. If this is a thing then I have no idea who's the one replacing Ace on TL.

• Upvote (+1) 2

99% done IMO. There is very little reason for him to continue to grind a dead franchise when he is a top 10 (maybe top 5) player in a game that is actually popular and arguably more competitive. 

maybe he likes to play halo?

• Upvote (+1) 7

dunno, there was more interaction at my store ... I think the whole idea was to bring together all Halo communities (not meant to be a super-competitive environment, as Tashi pointed out).  My store had Grifball / Waypoint people talking to competitive players

Yeah I'm not saying it's 100% a negative thing. Community intermingling is super cool but I'm saying Halo has a much more difficult time growing its fanbase and brand because mutual appreciation is harder to come by compared to other games. I did meet some cool guys, hope to hit them up on Xbox Live soon to play some more :)

My store got the settings right with SA radar and pistols only without anyone having to help them. The girl who was running it had a printed out piece of paper with super specific settings. Not sure why all stores didn't get that.

Yeah, as soon as I got there I realized my guy wasn't following any type of instructions and was kinda improvising. He didn't record any match results or anything, just offered people water and kept rotating people on and off of stations. It was chill but was not what was advertised.

Looks like the recent changes they did to HCS to balance Slayer/Obj weighting got reset.

what's odd to me is that this really wasn't true in previous years ... Walshy being dropped or Neighbor going to tD were huge deals because it was so rare for the top 4-6 teams to change players

I disagree, at least from Halo 3 on. 08 tD did not have a consistent lineup despite some event wins. Instinct made numerous changes in 08-09. Classic never had the same lineup for longer than 3 events I think throughout Halo 3. Walshy and Neighbor moves were huge deals because Walshy was one of the most successful players in Halo history and Neighbor was probably the most individually talented player in Halo 3.

Competitions yea, grinding mm/playing casually...probs not.

Only freaks of nature enjoy playing halo 5 casually, personally I get bored after 3 games

• Upvote (+1) 3

Seems like Rayne was running arena(hcs) with Saiyan Trippey and Coa ch Hoaxer last night. If this is a thing then I have no idea who's the one replacing Ace on TL.

Neither do I

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yeah I'm not saying it's 100% a negative thing. Community intermingling is super cool but I'm saying Halo has a much more difficult time growing its fanbase and brand because mutual appreciation is harder to come by compared to other games. I did meet some cool guys, hope to hit them up on Xbox Live soon to play some more :)

The lack of mutual appreciation isn't because segments of the community aren't playing the same game. It's literally BECAUSE attempts to get them to play the same game ensured that no one was playing the game they want.

Competitive Halo and Halo in general peaked at a time when playing the game you want to play was celebrated. Back in the day, A guy could main Team Skirmish, and then go and watch Pro player montages on YouTube. The difference between the experiences didn't hamper appreciation or growth at all. If anything, it had the opposite effect.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Only freaks of nature enjoy playing halo 5 casually, personally I get bored after 3 games

Yea man I respect the grind of the H5 players playing it religiously to get better. I have a feeling like some of these dudes are going to look back with regret that this is the game they have played non-stop for 3 years, especially if they don't place well. This has to be feeling like a job to them, a tedious grind. The same 3-5 maps, 3 gametypes for several years. Talk about torture. 

I understand why people were dogging Ninja (too much H1Z1 lolol) in terms of placements. But in terms of his sanity and his money(at least $300k+ per year minimum) hard to not understand decision to split his time. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah I'm not saying it's 100% a negative thing. Community intermingling is super cool but I'm saying Halo has a much more difficult time growing its fanbase and brand because mutual appreciation is harder to come by compared to other games. I did meet some cool guys, hope to hit them up on Xbox Live soon to play some more 

I'm interested in what the North NJ scene looks like now. Who won? What names were there that are familiar with competitive Halo? I'll be going to the next one but I'm really curious to see who is still around or how this looks compared to the NJ Halo scene.

I played a game of warzone yesterday and got bored about 75% of the way through.

• Upvote (+1) 2

time for an Amazon prime subscription my friend

I dunno, there was more interaction at my store ... I think the whole idea was to bring together all Halo communities (not meant to be a super-competitive environment, as Tashi pointed out).  My store had Grifball / Waypoint people talking to competitive players

Nah, Im good lol