CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I don't know what to think of Overwatch. Competitive games all seem to fall into a few categories: FPS, MOBA, and fighting. There are obviously a few limited exceptions like Hearthstone but I'd be surprised if Overwatch could do enough to draw in either FPS players or MOBA players. I played it on release like a lot of people did but I moved on from it and quickly. I think it's interesting to follow developments in OWL purely from an infrastructure perspective. I don't really care to watch or play the game, or follow the scene itself.

Mr David Walsh, man is the pov king. He watches all 8 at once to try follow the best moments. Countless times i catch him skipping the sniper player because he knowledge tells him a better play/flank is happening elsewhere on screen. Good to know casting the was ok, that game was total chaos and pure mental madness. Coming back in after such a delay kinda killed it for me and i struggled to get back into it, will rewatch the whole thing once home and review. On the flight now, speak soon guys.

That delay was brutal but yall did a great job casting that last game. It was pure insanity and on of the best games ive seen

I don't know what to think of Overwatch. Competitive games all seem to fall into a few categories: FPS, MOBA, and fighting. There are obviously a few limited exceptions like Hearthstone but I'd be surprised if Overwatch could do enough to draw in either FPS players or MOBA players. I played it on release like a lot of people did but I moved on from it and quickly. I think it's interesting to follow developments in OWL purely from an infrastructure perspective. I don't really care to watch or play the game, or follow the scene itself.

imo Overwatch is primarily a Blizzard game, secondarily an FPS, if that makes sense ... Blizzard has its own massive cosplaying casual fanbase that will watch anything branded by Blizzard.  I'm extremely skeptical about a $20m buy-in league from traditional sports CEOs, honestly seems like an insane jump based on "esportz!" buzzword nonsense.  there is high growth in esports year-over-year, for sure, but I dunno about the model they're thinking of

• Upvote (+1) 2

that had to be one of the worst decisions of the weekend

Seemed like they didn't notice the stream died right away and that game was already under way when they did. They did hold it til they fixed it afterwards. Although they do have to be careful of postponing matches too long (esp in the middle of a series) because it can fuck with the teams/players and their momentum etc.

The way they handled it after the fact, not even addressing it and acting like the players took a break was garbage and bullshit though. You aren't fooling anybody, the stream died, came back up and was a slideshow and then died again. "The players took a break" isn't fooling anybody. Address it, move on. Hell you could even joke about it, "and we're back, sorry about that - simms here tripped over the power cord" or some shit. And did they even address the fact that game 5 or whatever was played off stream? I recall a lot of ppl confused about it.

Seriously though, 20-30 seconds addressing it and clarifying it afterwards. Done. Easy.

this probably annoyed me more then it should've

• Upvote (+1) 4

idk what it happening but thanks everyone

@@TheSimms especially, you're the one who should be getting some love

wYm2dIf.png

I was too lazy to fill out the whole thing but your welcome.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think im in the minority here enjoying watching competitive overwatch. Its more jaring to me when the go from first person the 3rd but other that i think its really good. I wish owl were handled better because i would love to see this game succeed. I think blizzard should just let mlg run the league though. It would still be in house since they are both activision owned

Wait, there is a "territory" from Orlando - Miami? That just seems ludicrous to me. It takes me like 4.5 hours to get from Orlando to Miami and I definitely do not think a region should be that distance apart. 

Mr David Walsh, man is the pov king. He watches all 8 at once to try follow the best moments. Countless times i catch him skipping the sniper player because he knowledge tells him a better play/flank is happening elsewhere on screen. Good to know casting the was ok, that game was total chaos and pure mental madness. Coming back in after such a delay kinda killed it for me and i struggled to get back into it, will rewatch the whole thing once home and review. On the flight now, speak soon guys.

Who was the dude on stage that hyped the crowd in the grand finals with the I say dream, you say hack thing?

I actually liked how he hyped the crowd up for GF. I didn't like the fact that we then were sent back to 5-10mins of talking (which im like 95% sure is due to the fact H5 lacks LAN and needs a ghetto dev kit set up) but maybe try to reverse that next time? Do the talking, then do the hype and be right into the game? That way you're not like blue balling the viewers/spectators. Or maybe others didn't have issue with it. idk.

Also note, I don't think it needs to be said but I think if you do the chants//hype too much it becomes less meaningful/cringey or whatever but for hype matches its good.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Serious multitasking ability right here. You have to listen to producer, cocaster and think of the plays that need to be highlighted all while switching too. Just attempting it requires major cojones. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Serious multitasking ability right here. You have to listen to producer, cocaster and think of the plays that need to be highlighted all while switching too. Just attempting it requires major cojones. 

Interesting. I guess I never really thought about how casting works behind the scenes. So you have a producer in your ear as well?

Knighty, since you're an inside man, please, give a microphone to the production crew, and remind them to tape it over the middle of the crowd in Denver. I'll even buy one and bring it to them. Thanks plox

• Upvote (+1) 4

Like 343 rushed MCC?  :wutface:  :salt:

a rushed roast is bad forever but a delayed roast is eventually good

- super mario

• Upvote (+1) 6

imo OWL feels like a cash grab

build the hype, get the money, figure the rest out later

Definitely agree. People still give Blizzard way too much credit with esports because Starcraft was popular back in the day. Getting people to like playing OW is one thing, but the spectating experience is still a mess.

man after seeing how hyped the crowd was in that video makes me pissed we didn't have crowd mics. just another thing that has been asked for, that has obvious benefits to stream quality and hype building, and another thing that has been overlooked a-fucking-gain. 

please. just have crowd mics at denver. no more 'sorry we'll fix it next time'. please just fucking do it. stop talking, stop apologizing, just don't make the mistake in the first place for once. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Knighty, since you're an inside man, please, give a microphone to the production crew, and remind them to tape it over the middle of the crowd in Denver. I'll even buy one and bring it to them. Thanks plox

Not my call but if I keep my Twitter LIVE on the audience would that make you happy?  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not my call but if I keep my Twitter LIVE on the audience would that make you happy?  :simms:

Yes lmao You couldnt hear the crowd. I know thats not your call but you can talk to the big guys. I legit dont understand the lack of crowd noise. Makes the stream 1000 times better. 

Fingers crossed this wins over a lot of newcomers to our scene. Bring in the squeakers!

I just registered for the FFA at my local Microsoft store  :glasses:

• Upvote (+1) 1