CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Overwatch esports is almost as funny as Halo 5 esports and Blizzard is throwing even more money at it than Microsoft did the HCS. OW is a casual game with a vast majority casual audience. Anyone who's serious about competitive FPS games on PC will be playing Counter-Strike.

We will see. It can only get bigger and it's not exactly rock bottom right now (peaked over 100k today for a qualification World Cup tournament). With so many people playing it and so many people invested it's hard to see it falling flat.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So Envy and OpTic in Texas? Kinda crazy.

No State taxes but top 3 market? I don't know, I've lived in the DFW area my whole life and I think it sucks - also it's 101 degrees right now so that might influence my thinking it sucks.

No State taxes but top 3 market? I don't know, I've lived in the DFW area my whole life and I think it sucks - also it's 101 degrees right now so that might influence my thinking it sucks.

I dont hate texas but those guys are kidding themselves thinking the weather is going to be a sunny paradise lol. Humid AF here.

Also idk about Dallas but in Houston in rains pretty often too at completely random times which was one of their complaints about Chicago.

I wonder how Halo would be doing right now if it would have launched with the current HCS settings and these local MS store tournaments. Probably a whole lot better I would imagine.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I dont hate texas but those guys are kidding themselves thinking the weather is going to be a sunny paradise lol. Humid AF here.

Also idk about Dallas but in Houston in rains pretty often too at completely random times which was one of their complaints about Chicago.

Nothing tops the humidity of Houston lol.

Optic might like Dallas the more I think about it though. There is Uptown which is just a bunch of expensive hip bars and restaurants. It's where all the Cowboys end up in the news (see Ezekiel Elliott), the rich frat kids from SMU spend dad's money, and the women are legit looking for a sugar daddy. Not really my thing but I'm sure the Optic guys are looking forward to it. 

Overall though, housing and cost of living is cheap compared to the coast and the airport can get you anywhere pretty directly. Chicago's winters do suck, only so much snow content you can probably do. The Dudeperfect guys live here, I'm sure whatever reasons they have are similar to Optic's

Ninja having 10k viewers, wonder if HCS London without NA teams will be able to hit that. 

Also ppl in here still underestimating OW esports.

Ninja having 10k viewers, wonder if HCS London without NA teams will be able to hit that. 

It won't.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's actually a really cool idea. I kinda of wish we did 1v1s at my store.

Check out this sweet water bottle I got at my #MicrosoftStoreHalo thingy:

https://twitter.com/_yiws/status/894284899800276997

I'd say my local store's event was an overall success and it appears that way across the country, too.

Fuck that 1v1s are the lowest form of competition in Halo. Followed by doubles and then FFA. I wish they did ffa

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

We will see. It can only get bigger and it's not exactly rock bottom right now (peaked over 100k today for a qualification World Cup tournament). With so many people playing it and so many people invested it's hard to see it falling flat.

Does that # include mlg.tv and the other language streams? Burbank stage is gonna have huge stream numbers and should be a good indication of how owl will turn out since first season is based out of LA

24 players at the FFA today in CT. Not bad. Will go back for 2 V 2. unfortunately I finished 3rd and 4th so I missed the cut for round 2 by half a placement.

I also neglected to get the gamertags of the other players like a dumbass

• Upvote (+1) 3

24 players at the FFA today in CT. Not bad. Will go back for 2 V 2. unfortunately I finished 3rd and 4th so I missed the cut for round 2 by half a placement.

I also neglected to get the gamertags of the other players like a dumbass

There's a guy I saw on Twitch chat asking if anyone wanted to team at the 2v2 in CT. His GT: Nitedown.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Im really glad to hear that people are having a good time. I hope these things continue into halo 6 because it would be a great way to promote that game. Imagine a launch that includes local tourneys

• Upvote (+1) 1

How're y'all MS store tourneys going? 

just got back from the one in Oregon ... definitely a good experience overall

Pros:

• Free food + drinks, they actually ordered pizzas
  • Good turnout, 19 people; it was ran as 6-man (one 7-man) FFAs, top 2 advance to finals. I of course placed 3rd in my heat with like 30 assists, very close to top 2 lol
  • It was ran fairly well, though the MS employees weren't super-familiar with H5 (I helped them with setting up the FFA lobby)
  • All skill levels were represented, basically one-third Onyx-Champ players, one-third Diamond-ish players (including me), and one-third Gold players
  • They did a sign-up for the 2v2 tournament next month, and there was a check-box for "have Microsoft match me with a teammate," which seems like a good idea
  • There was some free-play beforehand, I ran doubles with the guy who ended up winning the FFA, was definitely fun to play matchmaking where I could watch my teammate's screen

Cons:

• Settings were garbage, the old FFA settings from launch.  If I'd talked to the MS employees they probably would have put it at HCS settings, basically they didn't have instructions on which settings to use
  • The XB1 stations were ... not ideal (those suitcase/clamshell things with an XB1 and a built-in monitor). Screens were terrible, seemed to have some input lag, and even at max brightness there was so much glare that it was legitimately hard to see players on Truth
  • They didn't provide controller cords or headsets ... I literally had my corded controller in my car lol, wish I had known
  • It was a bit cramped, not enough chairs, and therefore honestly kind of hard to socialize, though everyone was friendly in general
  • Everything got started a bit late, so I had to leave early, unfortunately.  Hopefully I didn't miss out on people exchanging GTs at the end, sigh.

The FFA was my first actual tournament experience (I went to MLG DC in 2010 but didn't play) and was definitely fun, it's interesting how intense it was, even though obviously the prize pool was non-existent.  I'll definitely check out the 2v2 next month.  

I'm wondering how 4v4 will work at most of these store locations lol, like 2-3 teams of four playing each other?  

• Upvote (+1) 5

The XB1 stations were ... not ideal (those suitcase/clamshell things with an XB1 and a built-in monitor). Screens were terrible, seemed to have some input lag, and even at max brightness there was so much glare that it was legitimately hard to see players on Truth

Yeah the lag on the setups was pretty bad.

• Upvote (+1) 1

IF THIS POST REACHES 4 UPREP I WILL POST IT AGAIN BUT DOUBLE THE NUMBER

If only I'd know that Ponzi scheme would move from Reddit to team beyond.I'd be profiting from all the +rep right now.

Bet you won't do this with negrep too. no balls :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 6

If this post reaches 8 uprep I no longer feel motivated to finish this post
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 14

Fuck that 1v1s are the lowest form of competition in Halo. Followed by doubles and then FFA. I wish they did ffa

So? It's not like this was the most competitive environment anyway. I was playing on a screen the size of a portable DVD player lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Settings were garbage, the old FFA settings from launch. If I'd talked to the MS employees they probably would have put it at HCS settings, basically they didn't have instructions on which settings to use

that's very strange since the MS store employees at Sydney were saying they got very strict instructions on how to run this from 343. We only played truth but I've seen some people tweet about playing regret.