CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

GPUs are still crazy expensive due to Eth mining, plus SSDs/RAM prices are weirdly high right now (NAND shortage I guess), I'd definitely wait until next year

The problem is there is always some weird pricing shenanigans going on with PC hardware, so if you "wait until X" you'll never buy anything. Most of the time.

GPU price gouging isn't a "normal ebb and flow" though. Ether's value is dropping pretty quick, so GPU prices will be coming down and you might be able to get a former mining card for cheap off ebay if you are willing to take the risk.  I wouldn't let SSD or RAM prices effect your buying decision.  There has been a NAND shortage for a while now but the prices are still loads better (for SSDs, not ram) than they were 2 years ago.

Anybody know what happened to Team Scrimish? Got on to play and its gone.

They announced last week it was getting removed today. It had the lowest population between it, team arena, and the HCS playlist so they made the decision to axe it in order to provide higher quality matchmaking/population in Team Arena and HCS.

Edit: beat by @@Apoll0

:mj:

• Upvote (+1) 2

The problem is there is always some weird pricing shenanigans going on with PC hardware, so if you "wait until X" you'll never buy anything. Most of the time.

GPU price gouging isn't a "normal ebb and flow" though. Ether's value is dropping pretty quick, so GPU prices will be coming down and you might be able to get a former mining card for cheap off ebay if you are willing to take the risk.  I wouldn't let SSD or RAM prices effect your buying decision.  There has been a NAND shortage for a while now but the prices are still loads better (for SSDs, not ram) than they were 2 years ago.

It isn't just Eth tho, it's the whole crypto currency market. 4 weeks ago Bitcoin was ~2600. 2 weeks ago it was ~1900. It's now like ~2700. It's very volatile. Market share has lowered for sure overall, but it may still be a little while to get back to normal. I can sell my 1070 FTW for more than I paid new even after a full year of use. It's mental.

shit

and they offered me a paid job like 2 months ago wtf...

At least Chad still has his stream. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

shit

Well that was unexpected! 

Rip man they were a cool org with a nice logo. Shame to see them go under. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Agree, basically GPUs are the main thing that I would say to definitely wait on.  My worry is that there will be new alt-coins and this is sort of the new normal until some manufacturer decides to finally produce/sell mining-tailored cards

• Upvote (+1) 1

Agree, basically GPUs are the main thing that I would say to definitely wait on.  My worry is that there will be new alt-coins and this is sort of the new normal until some manufacturer decides to finally produce/sell mining-tailored cards

Yeah, board manufacturers have been doing that, but chip makers haven't really.  I know what you mean though.  nvidia and amd need to make a branch of chips that have the actual graphics output disabled from the start so they can sell mining cards from a different lot of silicon.

Random question, Do the numbers on the back of the EG players jerseys mean anything significant like the year they went pro or when they joined EG, or is it just their favorite number?

They just pick a number. Olas number was 117 xD

• Upvote (+1) 1

Makes sense since it is the least played... But i still dont understand why TA is even a thing anymore. All TA does is pull ppl away from HCS.

Gives people who don't like hcs something to play...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yea they tend to go sub-mode to keep the notorious ninja hate as low as possible. Some people are just so toxic. Do you have an example of what you didn't like about them? I'm sure they could appreciate some feedback. Nice choice on the Naded shirt. Also @@Sebastian, never sub to someone just because they play a game you like. Sub for the streamer's entertainment. If you don't like them, don't sub just cuz they are playing your favorite game. 

Late reply, but one problem I have with this line of reasoning is that a well-curated stream can be really welcoming and create a great experience for new players who are just discovering either the streamer or his/her content. Sub-only mode feels needlessly exclusive. In Ninja's case too, the mods tend to allow all kinds of hate and dishing on other players/teams and only purge things that are critical of the Ninj, which only contributes to the 'us-against-them' feeling and certainly doesn't help warm new people up to his community.

To be fair to Ninja though, he does get a disproportionate amount of hate and trolling in his chat, and that can be hard for even an on-point mod team to control when you get up to a few thousand viewers. So it's just the balance he's found for the stream that works for him.

• Upvote (+1) 2

shit

They were heavily mismanaged in the beginning of 2017 and a lot of their decisions during that time really set them up for failure

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They were heavily mismanaged in the beginning of 2017 and a lot of their decisions during that time really set them up for failure

Well you came out of nowhere. 

• Upvote (+1) 6