CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

The 32 team cap seems to just be a result of the assumption that nobody is going to show up and thus you don't need many bracket spots or perhaps something with funding/venue which might or might not be something that's easily solved. 32 seems like a decent turnout for EU so the intention doesn't seem to be making it an exclusive thing

The 32 team cap seems to just be a result of the assumption that nobody is going to show up and thus you don't need many bracket spots or perhaps something with funding/venue which might or might not be something that's easily solved. 32 seems like a decent turnout for EU so the intention doesn't seem to be making it an exclusive thing

I asked Gfinity if more than 32 teams wanted to sign up from Europe, would they allow it - and the answer was no. Pretty unfortunate but probably due to things they can't do anything about

This was a huge win imo given the issues @@Quadios mentioned, no tickets or location information untill ~14 days before the event. -6 pro teams thats 22 open teams who showed up and purchased tickets less than 2 week prior to an event including several mainland EU teams. Heres hoping EU fills out the Arena :) Would be super cool to see.

to be fair you guys knew the tournament was always going to happen in london

i hope it sells out too

to be fair you guys knew the tournament was always going to happen in london

i hope it sells out too

Fair comment, plus this was a HWC qualifier. Either way London will be sick and the EU community absolutely needs to turn up and prove the scene is still alive, playing and capable of creating enough rosters to fill an open event.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

+1 if you saw @@RyRev 's comment in the chat at the end

The fuck? Never watched that dude in my life. Also, Halo was shit while Bungie were still making it.

intel: watch out for sabinator. he told me he wasn't going to atlanta, showed up last minute and destroyed

ot: regardless of the turn out for london i believe the event will spawn some amazing matches between the few top teams. looking forward to it 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think a good solution would be to get an EU/NA event thrown together in the massive amount of downtime this season or have it for an exhibition after denver. Let gfinity run it and see what happens. Or have a beyond the sticks type series where 2 eu teams get flown here for a weekend lan then 2 na teams go to europe for a weekend. That might be a better idea since it can he a series that persists through downtime and keep momentum

When the poll came round the EU pros, I was in the middle about it all. For me personally, my biggest problem with NA coming over to London is that they would take spots for the already 32 team capped event. Lets say 4/5 NA teams buy a team pass before the event, and teams from Europe that are trying to compete buy a pass too late and therefore miss out on the chance to play on their own soil altogether because those 4/5 teams bought a pass already. People are forgetting it's not an open event but purely a qualifier for Denver.

For the money side of things, my main income isn't Halo so I don't really mind about prize pools etc - but I know quite a few of the Europeans do this full time so they would speak more on that point than me. Other than all of the above, I'd be hyped for the NA teams to come over for the fact it's better practice for all the Europeans there and we would eventually be able to close the gap between the two continents. Atlanta was my first International event and you really do see the gap between mainly the top 4 and then the rest of the World. I feel like top 6-8 is definitely achievable regardless of the series count at Atlanta, we (Infused) got beat by EG 3-0, but the games were pretty close minus the Strongholds game (flag 2-1, slayer 50-46/44), we came away from that series more frustrated than when we got beat by Splyce because we definitely could of won it but because of their experience, they came through which is why EU needs more experience against those sort of teams. 

That's my little rant over anyway. Have a nice day everyone  :)

I am not hating, but EU teams took potential slots from US teams on US soil. I think you present a weak argument. If EU players are classified as pros than they should be playing all pros.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

I am not hating, but EU teams took potential slots from US teams on US soil. I think you present a weak argument. If EU players are classified as pros than they should be playing all pros.  

The difference is Atlanta was an open, and whoever came could play without a limit on teams. With London coming up, do you think it would be fair that teams playing in Europe would not be able to play a European event because NA teams want to come over? The whole point of the event is to qualify for Denver.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The difference is Atlanta was an open, and whoever came could play without a limit on teams. With London coming up, do you think it would be fair that teams playing in Europe would not be able to play a European event because NA teams want to come over? The whole point of the event is to qualify for Denver.

I was talking about World's as well. And how many US team do you think would actually come over? I'm guessing 3 tops. My point is that we can't baby players - let the best rise to the top. If it's not about the money, then EU can use practice facing top teams. 

I was talking about World's as well. And how many US team do you think would actually come over? I'm guessing 3 tops. My point is that we can't baby players - let the best rise to the top. If it's not about the money, then EU can use practice facing top teams. 

No idea how many teams would want to actually come over, by the sounds of it probably around 3-6. I totally agree with you on the last part, which is why I stated neither yes or no on the poll. It's a pretty broad question "do you want NA teams to come over?" without any details. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tempted to go to HCS London and chuck my name in the FFA hat (if its reasonably priced) just for the laughs, cant beat a pretty local event.

On an interesting note, the guys over at CoDCompetitive reddit did a survey for favourite teams, and Str8 Rippin got third behind discount Final Boss and Carbon.

1KcbRr8_fWTUualf-gIDG5PoGV1nfeuaHKcZKW9N

Early bird FFA pass is just £15!

I expect to see you there...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty sure if it wasn't tweeted out that NA teams can't attend, no one would give two shits. Just the fact that you are told you CANT attend people are kicking up a fuss. Pro teams upset about not attending I understand. But the AM teams getting upset I just laugh at, even if AM teams would come, they can't take the regional qualifers spots for DH, yes they'd get a cut at the 25k prize pot, but pretty sure 1st alone 'might' cover the general costs of coming over so is it even worth it to them.

Tbf think since i've been spoilt so much with prize pot over Halo 5 its made me quite blind to competition which is my own fault and I want to change that over the future.

This ^.  I don't think the decision to region lock London is a bad decision.  I think the way it was presented, and the other things going on around the same time are what's causing the problem.  It's highlighting a "trend", and therefore just begging for a reaction.  

They way EU teams were seeded in ATL was clearly to give them money INSTEAD of it going to NA teams.  A different structure could've seen every team that got money earned it at that event.  Then EU matches were shown INSTEAD of the relegation matches.  Better planning could have meant BOTH were streamed.  Now only EU teams can compete in London INSTEAD of anyone.  And all this on the backs of people starting to speak up for LATAM which is getting absolutely nothing. 

This ONE decision was fine imo.  However, the way it was presented, and the context of everything else going on seems clear why people are upset.

I would assume on some level the goal of these decisions is to grow the EU scene.  I get that, but decisions need to be considered from a broader perspective.  Will this grow the entire Halo community.  Or even the entire competitive community.  The last few weeks seem to only be dividing us.

Pretty sure if it wasn't tweeted out that NA teams can't attend, no one would give two shits. Just the fact that you are told you CANT attend people are kicking up a fuss. Pro teams upset about not attending I understand. But the AM teams getting upset I just laugh at, even if AM teams would come, they can't take the regional qualifers spots for DH, yes they'd get a cut at the 25k prize pot, but pretty sure 1st alone 'might' cover the general costs of coming over so is it even worth it to them.

Tbf think since i've been spoilt so much with prize pot over Halo 5 its made me quite blind to competition which is my own fault and I want to change that over the future.

That is probably true but still...it kinda sucks that the reasons behind that decision are rather silly(to say the least). NA teams would benefit the viewership of that tournament greatly.

No idea how many teams would want to actually come over, by the sounds of it probably around 3-6. I totally agree with you on the last part, which is why I stated neither yes or no on the poll. It's a pretty broad question "do you want NA teams to come over?" without any details. 

And I'm not blaming you. That question shouldn't have even existed. 

It's about the principle and precedent. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If the ONLY argument that had been presented was, "Gfinity London is region locked to EU teams since it is the final qualifier for an expenses-paid trip to Dreamhack Denver." would you have a problem with it?

Throw in something about updated tournament structure for denver with EU teams getting top seeds in the open or whatever.

• Upvote (+1) 2