CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Seriously. CoD now is the deepest it's ever been. Most of these guys wouldnt even get out of open bracket. This is all just spartan style attention whoring

Exactly. Also, even if this scene loses a few pros because they want to go play some other game, there's a list of hundreds of young players who truly love this game waiting for their opportunity to shine. You don't like this esport? go invest your time somewhere else if you believe you're gonna get more money or relevance there, the last thing this community needs is pro players who hate this game but still make thousands a year because of it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There's absolutely nothing that can come close to backing up this statement. The game has a lower population than H5, a much smaller competitive scene, smaller prize pools, unusual mechanics, and a less spectator-friendly experience. Not to mention it hasn't had near the cultural impact Halo has had w/ H2, H3, and Reach dominating the FPS market.

Not sure what's worse, the fact that you thought I was serious (I agree with you 100%) or the fact that you're getting neg bombed for the truth.

Gears is awful and doesn't deserve MLG.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Lol pros wish they could've switched because 343 is one of the worst games devs of all time. COD is so much more stable and is backed by s great TO. Halo is just hanging on by a thread because 343 seem hellbent on making the worst decisions they possibly can. Don't blame them at all no one deserves to have their careers on the line when 343 is in charge.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Not sure what's worse, the fact that you thought I was serious (I agree with you 100%) or the fact that you're getting neg bombed for the truth.

Gears is awful and doesn't deserve MLG.

I thought that the negs were for missing the joke ;0
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Lol pros wish they could've switched because 343 is one of the worst games devs of all time. COD is so much more stable and is backed by s great TO. Halo is just hanging on by a thread because 343 seem hellbent on making the worst decisions they possibly can. Don't blame them at all no one deserves to have their careers on the line when 343 is in charge.

The developer is not beyond reproach but it doesn't pay to play the victim the whole time. Pros playing that hate the game, hate the state of the scene are doing so for wholy selfish reasons. The escalation of pro Halo is internal, no one is forcing full time pros. Every working age player could be working and playing like Roybox if they wanted stability, with two teams at a time getting relegated from pro status (usually not even that) they likely not going to lose their place.

Every working age player could be working and playing like Roybox if they wanted stability, with two teams at a time getting relegated from pro status (usually not even that) they likely not going to lose their place.

I agree with this - I've supported it since the beginning but it is near impossible to hold down a 40 hour job and manage to be the best in the world at a video game. I don't think many have done it. You are competing against millions of children who have infinite time and infinite ways of passing you. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Want more money? Find alternate ways. Want to be the best? Manage.

Competing in esports is a privilege and a blessing. Acting like a spoiled, entitled and arrogant little shit isn't the way to build the community.

• Upvote (+1) 3

How much hours a day of Halo do yous think you need to put it to stay at the top?

• Upvote (+1) 1

If we are being honest very little Halo pros would be making YouTube content even if they were playing CoD

I totally agree and know this is the case, I'm just throwing it out there as the Call of Duty scene is much more prevalent on YouTube and that option exists for both of course, but is much more profitable and watched for Call of Duty. 

:(

Do they not realize the new Scuf Impact is basically an Xbox 360 controller?

All these Halo ams and pros talking about switching like they gonna start playing CoD and instantly place top 4 and get a 4 digits payout LMAO some of these people can't even get top 8 in Halo.

There's just a lot more going on in Call of Duty. Major tournaments are more frequent, small online tournaments are a thing, wagers, YouTube content, while much less profitable than it used to be is still much more consumed than Halo content and same goes for streams.

I don't have anything to add here. It's pretty much exactly how I feel about the situation.

I agree with this - I've supported it since the beginning but it is near impossible to hold down a 40 hour job and manage to be the best in the world at a video game. I don't think many have done it. You are competing against millions of children who have infinite time and infinite ways of passing you. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Want more money? Find alternate ways. Want to be the best? Manage.

Competing in esports is a privilege and a blessing. Acting like a spoiled, entitled and arrogant little shit isn't the way to build the community.

One of the best posts I've seen on the topic. Part time jobs are a thing still. They obviously don't pay full-time job salaries, but it's a means of income on the side of chasing your dream to be a pro gamer. There's YouTube and Twitch too. Sure it's tough to break out on either, but Halo is such a niche that you could actually be a bigger stream on the game and then branch out later. Then when you've created your own audience and fanbase you can sell your own clothing etc. There are plenty of ways to build off of your success. I mean, like him or hate him, Moe_TV is a big time CS streamer, but as he has said a lot of the time he makes most of his money from sponsorships off of case opening sites and the like. There are plenty of ways these guys can make their money if they are truly dedicated to it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

How much hours a day of Halo do yous think you need to put it to stay at the top?

I think getting on consistently is key. A few hours a day is good. But you need high quality practice with your team at least once a week. (in the current state of competition) This is once you're at the top though, there is a lot more gaming that is done in the beginning of your journey!

But you run the stats site! What do your numbers say about Splyce/Optic/nV ?

One of the best posts I've seen on the topic. Part time jobs are a thing still. They obviously don't pay full-time job salaries, but it's a means of income on the side of chasing your dream to be a pro gamer. There's YouTube and Twitch too. Sure it's tough to break out on either, but Halo is such a niche that you could actually be a bigger stream on the game and then branch out later. Then when you've created your own audience and fanbase you can sell your own clothing etc. There are plenty of ways to build off of your success. I mean, like him or hate him, Moe_TV is a big time CS streamer, but as he has said a lot of the time he makes most of his money from sponsorships off of case opening sites and the like. There are plenty of ways these guys can make their money if they are truly dedicated to it.

And a lot of the players have done it! It's all about the work ethic. Business isn't pretty or fun most the time. It's dirty and can be painful but if you don't give up, amazing things can happen. Look at Ninja, that guy never stops. He's always thinking ahead and setting new goals for himself. Teaming with him was a treat because I saw what was lacking in myself and learned from it.

Basically,If you want to make an omelette you gotta break a few eggs. Most of the people complaining (if not all) don't even want to step into the kitchen.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the first H5 worlds have Cod guys complaining about not having million dollar prize pools?

Doubtful. CoD Champs has had 1 million since 2014 (I think). But it was capped at 1mil for three years as opposed to a lower tier esport like Halo coming out of the gate with a 2.5mil prize pool. Maybe that was what they were complaining about.

Also, shoutout to whoever gave this attempt to get Doc to play with Naded and get Halo some exposure. Shame that Doc's stance on Halo is similar to my own personal one and many on this forum.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PeppyDifficultInternPJSalt

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I thought that the negs were for missing the joke ;0

They were.  So thats 2 missed points now lol.

speaking of regrets, i wish i had spent time back in Halo 2 actually gaining knowledge of the game instead of just playing random shit mindlessly for hours.  Would probably be a better player now, but whatchagonnado?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Where is Lil Poison at? Might still be early enough for him to switch to CoD if we find him.

• Upvote (+1) 5

When you think about it, if we had 20-30 pros try Cod and only 2 went pro, that's a success rate of 10% if we're generous.

Meanwhile, Huke, the only CoD player to attempt the switch has been very successful. That's a success rate of 100%.

Is Halo really 10x less skillful than CoD? This is what these numbers seem to suggest.

lol dont forget Crimsix! 2/2, still 100%

Ok quick question has Formal made more money than Lethul in this timespan ?

I know you're just asking this to prove your point that Lethul's Halo 5 career has been more financially lucrative than Formal's, but I just can't fathom why you try to push the narrative that this is true for all players. Lethul and the rest of Optic/ex-CLG are a major exception to the "rule," On the whole, Call of Duty is clearly the much more stable scene, the much better cared for scene, the much more watched scene, the better scene to be in, and most importantly in this argument, the better scene for people who ARE NOT winning first place at the World Championship. I feel like there's been a discussion about the overall situation, and then you are coming in with just the team that's placed first at World's twice, which are worth what, about $375,000 alone? If you factor out Lethul's top two earnings, and Formal's top two earnings (from first place finishes) between the full competitive years of 2016 and 2017 that leaves Formal having earned roughly $108,000 and Lethul with about $63,000 earned. Comparitively it's pretty easy to see that Call of Duty is better to be in because of the more frequent tournaments, not to mention the MLG 2ks, the GB tournaments, the other smaller tournaments you can play in with whoever you want to, etc. No one is arguing against how lucrative Halo can be IF you win first place at the HWC. It's everything else that the scene lacks that Call of Duty has, which is what I've personally been discussing. 

EDIT: To elaborate on my math there, I took the two players' highest prize earnings from first place wins over the course of 2016 and 2017 and subtracted them from their overall 2016-2017 earnings. The numbers linked in the previous post about their earnings are career earnings.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If there is truth to cod going 5v5, then there would be more room for Halo pros to break out, id imagine. Its all about putting in the time to get good at COD.

1) the comp scene is controlled by 343. They have the servers, they have the license, they dictate the settings. The competitive community can't flip any switches.

Anyway. You think this switch is more meaningful than being told, directly, for 7 years that we don't like sprint? If so I don't know what to tell you.

3) see above

Oh, I didn't realize pajama was the official spokesperson of 'the competitive scene". if only TB would run some evolved tournaments, we could strip pajama of his title.

They've been told for 5 years that we hate sprint. For the past two years they've been seeing opinions like the one Mr pajamas just showed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Apg just said on stream LG is looking for a 4th. Apparently it's ninja who's leaving/retiring.

I mean hes got way better stuff going for him than Halo atm if he does choose to not play. Its impressive that hes even had any drive to play Halo if I were him I'd have been gone streaming/competing in pubg/h1z1 forever ago

• Upvote (+1) 2