CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I know we said we wanted listen-ins :simms:

naded gets in trouble for filming production and then this happens

the hypocrisy!  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 4

As someone who does a little production work myself, having that happen is absolutely terrifying. I can't imagine everyone being able to hear me when i think no one can. I was legit nervous the whole time it was on LMAO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey everyone, glad to hear that lots of folks have been enjoying the tournament and show so far. I wanted to shed some light on a couple things; Str8 vs Infused decision and b-stream.

For the Str8/Infused vs OpTic/TL matches, there were a few reasons that went into the decision. To start, these are not decisions we take lightly. Overall, we try to have a variety of teams on stream, showcase matches that we feel will be the most competitive/exciting, try to show matches that hit on key stories, and also try to be reactive to key stories that form during an event that we think will have long term impacts to the competitive community. One of the biggest storylines for Denver was the EU vs NA rivalry, especially as we head into the Halo World Championship. That rivalry, the emotional stakes and potential for a history making match were key factors that went into that decision, as well as it being an elimination match which we have been told and feel do not get enough airtime. Despite history being made (congrats to Infused!), ultimately, I wish we could have shown both – which brings me to my next topic – b-stream.

As I said in my AMA, B-streams are something we are very interested in doing, appreciate the value of, and consider for each event. We have to make tough decisions on where we focus resources for primary stream, player/audience experience, and more. Quality of events has been inconsistent, so ensuring these core experiences and overall broadcast quality are top notch is our first priority. As we reach higher quality bars for these, and viewership grows (hopefully), the chances of a secondary stream will likely continue to go up. 

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy today’s show!

Thank you for the explanation.  Please when thinking about B streams, consider doing them with little to no talent, as omniview, or even keeping the same single PoV the whole time.

I would have preferred to see the Optic/Liquid game myself, but there would have been detractors with the decision regardless of which game was shown so im over it at this point.

Overall better production thus far so thank you for that, and I hope that you'll keep coming around here, especially now that NeoGAF is imploding haha.

• Upvote (+1) 3

For the Str8/Infused vs OpTic/TL matches, there were a few reasons that went into the decision. To start, these are not decisions we take lightly. Overall, we try to have a variety of teams on stream, showcase matches that we feel will be the most competitive/exciting, try to show matches that hit on key stories, and also try to be reactive to key stories that form during an event that we think will have long term impacts to the competitive community. One of the biggest storylines for Denver was the EU vs NA rivalry, especially as we head into the Halo World Championship. That rivalry, the emotional stakes and potential for a history making match were key factors that went into that decision, as well as it being an elimination match which we have been told and feel do not get enough airtime. Despite history being made (congrats to Infused!), ultimately, I wish we could have shown both – which brings me to my next topic – b-stream.

#2 and #3 playing in Winners Semis should trump anything for top 6 in lower bracket, regardless of the storyline.

Add in the factor that the #2 seed have the largest fanbase...and had yet to be on stream for the event...and the fact that the other two teams had an entire day of being on stream previous, since they both came from the Open Bracket, and it's just an awful decision.

Like, I want to be uncivil about that choice, but I know there's no point.  There's no reason the decision should have been made.  It was unacceptable.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 3

#2 and #3 playing in Winners Semis should trump anything for top 6 in lower bracket, regardless of the storyline.

Add in the factor that the #2 seed have the largest fanbase...and had yet to be on stream for the event...and the fact that the other two teams had an entire day of being on stream previous, since they both came from the Open Bracket, and it's just an awful decision.

Like, I want to be uncivil about that choice, but I know there's no point.  There's no reason the decision should have been made.  It was unacceptable.

I've seen Liquid play Optic plenty of times. I hadn't seen an EU team play like that before. So with that in mind, I thought the decision was fine - it would have been better if it never had to be made, but then we're back to the issue of B streams. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I could honestly care less about NA vs EU for me at least, I never got the crazy story line with that. I want to see the best teams play - not where they are from taking precedence over that. It was an obvious choice from anyone who has been involved with Halo esports in any fashion.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I could honestly care less about NA vs EU for me at least, I never got the crazy story line with that. I want to see the best teams play - not where they are from taking precedence over that. It was an obvious choice from anyone who has been involved with Halo esports in any fashion.

Optic are boring to watch though, unless they're scared (e.g. vs Splyce). Seeing players achieve what they couldn't before and get hype over it is more entertaining to me. Like how many times have we watched Optic play now and just sweep the competition?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Optic are boring to watch though, unless they're scared (e.g. vs Splyce). Seeing players achieve what they couldn't before and get hype over it is more entertaining to me. Like how many times have we watched Optic play now and just sweep the competition?

Nothing is guaranteed though, OpTic is a big draw and with the numbers not being so hot we need them on screen. I'm not saying play OpTic non-stop on main stage but at this part of the tournament it's a no brainer.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Why do Halo commentators have constant verbal diarrhea? They never ever stop talking. Halo is the only E-sport I watch but when I watch real sports there's plenty of silences. Are all e-sports like this? Is it suppose to generate excitement or what? 

• Upvote (+1) 9

Nothing is guaranteed though, OpTic is a big draw and with the numbers not being so hot we need them on screen. I'm not saying play OpTic non-stop on main stage but at this part of the tournament it's a no brainer.

Eh, fair enough. I guess I'm just not keen on putting Optic on to pad viewership, the Greenwall (while awesome) are fickle when it comes to Halo and don't really help build viewership long-term. I'd rather have really cool match-ups and storylines building interest over a series of events, and maybe people will tune in to follow that. Ultimately though I think viewership will never see any real improvement until we get the reforms we need in HCS.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why do Halo commentators have constant verbal diarrhea? They never ever stop talking. Halo is the only E-sport I watch but when I watch real sports there's plenty of silences. Are all e-sports like this? Is it suppose to generate excitement or what? 

CS casters often leave plenty of space - though that's an entirely different style of game.

CS casters often leave plenty of space - though that's an entirely different style of game.

Imagine watching a basketball game where every single pass and defensive challenge is commentated.

• Upvote (+1) 9