1) OpTic

2) EnVy

3) Splyce

4) Luminosity

5/6) Liquid

5/6) Evil Geniuses

7/8) eRa

7/8) Infused

Not to be a negative nancy, but what has Oddball really gained from this update outside of becoming its own gametype and the skull? Yeah we can set Oddball specific spawns and spawn zones now, but the big problem is and will be the spartan abilities that make it too easy to get to the ball carrier quickly. Same is true for Assault and the Bomb carrier. I mean, don't get me wrong I really hope someone can make these gametypes work and that we get some fresh gametypes on the HCS, we desperately need it.

I hadn't even really thought about it, but you make some good points. It's great Halo is getting a refresh in gametypes, but will they actually work with the game? I'm thinking they're going to be strange. It's not like it was before when you could get setup with the oddball and the other team had to make a concerted effort, or an insane individual play, to break the setup and open up the map for retaking the oddball. I might be way off base, but in Halo 5 with sprint, slide, and thrust, you can kind of just zoom all over the map and get through a setup much faster. Assault, well, it was a lot of fun back in the day, but like someone mentioned about the no explosion thing, it makes maintaining your strangle hold on a base much easier and so you can snowball easier. At least that's how I look at it.

all these players, all these viewers, and the community is still hemorrhaging money

money is a pretty big part of esports, like it or not, if you can't make a living playing your game are you really a professional? if no one involved is making money is that healthy?

i love smash but it's a stretch to say it's "a vastly healthier competitive scene" when it's actually not all that healthy, it's not CSGO lol...

how long are TO's going to be willing to run events that cost them money? have you ever considered the business aspect of esports

smash would kill to have 1/10th of the dev support we have

Definitely don't think your'e wrong on this, but we would kill to have the caliber of game they have too. It does go both ways I think, and it isn't just either or. You need a quality game and some developer support certainly will help you grow and maintain. However, if you do have the quality game first, you can be supported by third party tournament organizes and local grassroots scenes. It doesn't matter if you're playing for $100 bucks or $1,000,000 because in the end if you make money off the game you're technically a professional. Now, would that be a sustainable career? Totally different conversation.

LoL is literally 100% ran and supported by riot and it is the most popular game in the world.

It's also free to play, on PC, and generally enjoyed by its playerbase, which is substantial because of the two previously mentioned points. 

I don't disagree, but it shouldn't be an either or thing. Having both would be nice.

I can't help but bring up Splatoon again because it's easily the most competitively sound shooter on consoles. It's fun, it's popular, it has a massive skill gap. But convincing a team of players to invest the time to become the best in the world w/o any financial aspiration or audience is a tough sell. and Nintendo could provide both, but they don't.

At least with fighters, players can rely solely on their own drive. I think that works in Smash's favor.

Then you look at games like CS:GO, who's growth in popularity was directly tied to dev investment in making it an esport.

I don't think it's as simple as 'make a good game', though obviously, that's a great start. Smash is an anomaly, not the rule.

Can't discredit the popularity of skins/skin gambling either. Definitely helped out, but there were a ton of tournaments and still are a ton of tournaments that don't get any investment from Valve. I may be wrong, but I think Valve only puts up money for the 2 Majors and minors. CS:GO is an anomaly I think because the base game is inherently much more competitive and of course, it's a PC game, and can usually be found for about $15 versus $60 for any console game.  I also agree with you that Smash is definitely an anomaly, I only brought it up originally because it has no developer support but still has a pretty solid competitive scene that is community-driven.

Thier social guy needs a fucking raise, some of the other and even much bigger orgs need to take notes on how to support their halo team on social media because splyce always delivers and always raises the bar. LG is also another cracking org providing tier 1 social coverage while playing and attending events.

Not to discredit Splyce at all, but for most of the other organizations, their Halo teams are the black sheep of the organization. I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't support all your games equally, but when the organization has much larger (and likely more successful) esports to focus on, I can see how sometimes Halo will fall by the wayside. I think Splyce does a great job, but I also think Halo might be their most successful team too, which probably helps make it easier to show more love. Either that, or like you said, social media guys in other organizations need to step their shit up.

The Smash community is really passionate about their game, the competitive scene really is mostly a grassroots effort, I find going to locals to be very enjoyable.  I wish Halo had a community like that, 343/MS can pump money into Halo but I always find a passionate community to be infinitely more attractive.

It used to be like this my man. Those were good days. Good days. Here's to hoping they come back!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QEtVoVAF1Uw

The ad is saying we know you all left but we're back on the ground now so come back.

Halo needs non campaign ads

It's such a good ad campaign given the sentiment in the CoD community the last few years. Really hits the nail on the head. Halo definitely needs non-campaign ads, but it also needs a game worth coming back for, for guys that used to play. The guys that used to play Call of Duty are going to be coming back (plenty, but not all of course) for a boots on the ground game and because it looks like it'll be like the Call of Duty games they used to enjoy a lot more (myself included in this category). Can't have an ad campaign for Halo about making a return when the game is continuously going farther away from what Halo used to be.

This was me and my crew when MCC launched...

Same. And within 3 weeks my crew and I were on to different games because it was a mess. It's such a tragedy. So much potential there, and such an epic failure. I actually have been back on MCC in the last couple of days and I played MLG 2v2 on lockout yesterday. It was a blast, but also infuriating due to the H2V port and not the actual Halo 2. Such a shame they couldn't even do that correct. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can't discredit the popularity of skins/skin gambling either. Definitely helped out, but there were a ton of tournaments and still are a ton of tournaments that don't get any investment from Valve. I may be wrong, but I think Valve only puts up money for the 2 Majors and minors. CS:GO is an anomaly I think because the base game is inherently much more competitive and of course, it's a PC game, and can usually be found for about $15 versus $60 for any console game. I also agree with you that Smash is definitely an anomaly, I only brought it up originally because it has no developer support but still has a pretty solid competitive scene that is community-driven.

No I can't discredit the skin/gambling economy- but that also coincided with increased esports investment.

No one was going to buy skins for a game they didn't play and care about. The timing was exquisite. They updated the game balancing, revamped the economy, discounted the game, and started promoting the esport within the game itself- all at roughly the same time. The esport was a catalyst.

It was dreamhall 2013, 50% off + in-client stream that really launched csgo into the stratosphere, which allowed the gambling economy to start really flourishing.

Then you saw another monumental jump in population at EMS One 2014 which had item incentives

It's such a good ad campaign given the sentiment in the CoD community the last few years. Really hits the nail on the head. Halo definitely needs non-campaign ads, but it also needs a game worth coming back for, for guys that used to play. The guys that used to play Call of Duty are going to be coming back (plenty, but not all of course) for a boots on the ground game and because it looks like it'll be like the Call of Duty games they used to enjoy a lot more (myself included in this category). Can't have an ad campaign for Halo about making a return when the game is continuously going farther away from what Halo used to be.

They could really use another Prequel. Take is back before Reach, they could follow Chief/Blue Team and use the CE health model. Or they could use some secret Spartan IIIs and use some form of H2-Reach. In either case, the campaign and MP could go back to a classic style and prove once and for all halo doesn't need enhanced mobility to stay relevant.

A return to roots: grounded gameplay, split screen, local server, all old game modes + a sensical esports scene would do wonders

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would love to see a Lan related ad. Show off the old school way Halo was played 

Not so much a commercial but the Beach LAN promo by Weedmaps was pretty cool. Then they shaded us the following year and decided the cherry on top would be to delete and remove the promo. I thought it definitely captured the old school feel. I mean theres a portion that patch and legend are talking to each other and you can see a small kitchen timer clipped to Legend's shirt.

• Upvote (+1) 2

this is going to be the first time in the last 2 years or so that I don't predict Snakebite and crew to win. Still hope they do, but not sure if they have what's needed to unseat Splyce.

Either way, I expect this to be some of the closest competition yet between the top three teams

As an employee its hard to not comment and I always stay away from it to not look like an ass or take it personally, however i do think some of the comments recently have been a tad strong. ESL Australia for example puts on some truly epic events and I really hope they are involved in the ANZ side of things. I am also very proud of the what myself and the team in the UK produced for the EU Pro League Finals, I do honestly think at the time we raised the bar for them 2 gigs.

I don't mean to imply that everything ESL and it's individual employees have done have been detrimental to the Halo scene. Casters like yourself, and many other talented employees of 343 and ESL have done a really good job of making what we are given work really well, especially after worlds this year. Honestly everything on the EU side of Halo has been downright amazing considering how much smaller the scene is there than NA. 

Honestly, the issue I have with ESL is how their fundamental decisions about the competitive scene for H5 constantly seem like they are not in the community's best interest. I could give a huge number of examples of this, but they're the same issues that we have been complaining about and talking about for years. 

SO allow me to clarify my prior statement. IF ESL want to be involved in Halo going forward, they MUST listen to the community and fix as many issues as they can in regard to the management and administration of tournaments. 

The harshness of my prior statement came from my belief that ESL is not likely to do that. Feel free to prove me wrong. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

OPTIC are the underdogs. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can see STR8 placing anywhere from 5th to 12th, all depends on how they react when they get shit on one map. That team tilts so easy lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It’s been a while homies. Hope you all enjoy the show today.

Feels good to be back :)

You’re great and all..... but we would rather have this exact post come from @@Clap

No hard feelings

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

welcome back! i enjoyed watching you do overwatch!

Mans been away pumping those mental guns casting Overwatch, this should be cakewalk. 

:wutface: :wutface:  :wutface:LETS GET IT :wutface: :wutface: :wutface:

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1