CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

say halo gets a lan focused league with mlg or gfinity, does huke still leave? 

yes

• Upvote (+1) 6

Yeah. He prefers CoD for the gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just have to say it is extremely nice to have Tashi in here giving feedback and providing clarity. I believe I can speak for all of us and say it is much appreciated!

• Upvote (+1) 6

Outlines definitely have room for improvement - but I think they add so much to the broadcast. I love seeing how many players are pushing to certain locations, the dramatic irony of seeing 1 player about to enter a room with 3 enemies, etc. I also think it helps casters out big time, especially for online broadcast where they only see 1 POV at a time. Definitely get the desire to see the raw perspective however, and appreciate the appeal myself.

What are the chances of us getting an observers mini map? Being able to see where everyone is from above is one of my favorite things about COD. This would also be good for the people that don't want any outlines whatsoever. Don't wanna know more than the players do? Just don't look at the mini map. 

What are the chances of us getting an observers mini map? Being able to see where everyone is from above is one of my favorite things about COD. This would also be good for the people that don't want any outlines whatsoever. Don't wanna know more than the players do? Just don't look at the mini map. 

I mean for Halo 5 it's likely as close to zero as Bungie coming back to Halo and releasing an extended version of the Halo 2 campaign only available on MCC. For Halo 6 tho...it's possible but they won't tell you anything.

Outlines ruin all suspense, and excitement. They should be used sparingly

....there are also occasions where they do the exact opposite....

They should be used less yes, but i wouldn't say that "Sparingly" is right either.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

agreed, they should only be used in stand off situations or if the game is playing really slow.

I don't get how outlines ruin suspense or excitement.

Every single sport- not just esports- but sports in general try to provide a viewing angle where viewers can see everything that's happening despite the fact that players cannot.

That's essentially what outlines provide in an arena where walls and floors prevent a single angle from sufficing.

Don't other esports leave outlines on similarly to how halo does it?

The audience knowing something that a player does not, doesnt remove suspense in the slightest. The tension is in anticipating whats going to happen when he finds out.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I don't get how outlines ruin suspense or excitement.

Every single sport- not just esports- but sports in general try to provide a viewing angle where viewers can see everything that's happening despite the fact that players cannot.

That's essentially what outlines provide in an arena where walls and floors prevent a single angle from sufficing.

Don't other esports leave outlines on similarly to how halo does it?

The audience knowing something that a player does not, doesnt remove suspense in the slightest. The tension is in anticipating whats going to happen when he finds out.

i think the biggest difference between halo and other games/sports is that halo continues with basic play by play versus really diving into some analysis. i think we have some really good play by play casters but outlines should be used to give a break from that and highlight set ups, rotations, pushes, etc. i think that is something the hcs lacks that observer mode could really help with. i would love to see @Ninja or @Towey come in and do that work if they are willing or even a player/coach with some downtime and give a bit more depth to games.

i agree that observer mode doesn't harm the game, but there is a lot of potential for it that is not being used

I mean for Halo 5 it's likely as close to zero as Bungie coming back to Halo and releasing an extended version of the Halo 2 campaign only available on MCC. For Halo 6 tho...it's possible but they won't tell you anything.

oh i know, can't hurt to ask tho right

The audience knowing something that a player does not, doesnt remove suspense in the slightest. 

dO3lFUS.png

do you seriously believe that? 

outlines are good, they shouldn't be on 100% of the time, like they are currently 

every single of moment of every single tournament = outlines on

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This may be old news but I just found out that the Gamebattles forums were shut down on August 22nd.

This doesn’t sound like much but the Major League Gaming forums were merged with Gamebattles a few years ago. You could still access old threads from the MLG forums on Gamebattles.

Effectively even though the actual MLG Forums may have died years ago this was its actual death.

Kind of sad about it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Exactly. You can't put yourself into the players shoes or judge their decisions in the moment with the same suspense/excitement since you already know where the enemies are. Not to mention they're so thick that it makes battles almost unintelligible. It just looks like the player is shooting at a big neon blur.

Used way too much and implemented poorly.

dO3lFUS.png

do you seriously believe that?

outlines are good, they shouldn't be on 100% of the time, like they are currently

every single of moment of every single tournament = outlines on

I just disagree with you bro.

I've been watching sports since i can remember. Being able to see everything has never bothered me. In fact, I've always made it a point to sit where i can be able to see as much as possible...

I've carried that with me to esports, i suppose.

Being able to see a wide open receiver adds to the suspense, because you're wondering if the QB will notice in time. Then you're deflated if he never notices, and elated if he does. It's buildup and release.

Seeing an unwitting qb about to get sacked is exciting, and seeing it about to unfold is what makes last second escapes even more exciting.

Without outlines in halo, I'm afraid much of the nuance of a play would be lost completely because neither the caster nor the viewer knows all of what is taking place.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Without outlines in halo, I'm afraid much of the nuance of a play would be lost completely because neither the caster nor the viewer knows all of what is taking place.

you're right about this but on the flip side outlines imo rob a lot of moments of their excitement 

plus we managed just fine without outlines for a decade  ;)

• Upvote (+1) 4

I just disagree with you bro.

I've been watching sports since i can remember. Being able to see everything has never bothered me. In fact, I've always made it a point to sit where i can be able to see as much as possible...

I've carried that with me to esports, i suppose.

Being able to see a wide open receiver adds to the suspense, because you're wondering if the QB will notice in time. Then you're deflated if he never notices, and elated if he does. It's buildup and release.

Seeing an unwitting qb about to get sacked is exciting, and seeing it about to unfold is what makes last second escapes even more exciting.

Right. To expand on that analogy, seeing the PoV of the quarterback would be great occasionally so you can truly  grasp how they have to process the information, but watching the game that way all the time would be impossible and there is a lot that you would miss. Those times when 2 players are searching for each other in close proximity i find more intense with outlines.  Same with sneaky flanks.

The right thing to do is to do it both ways of course, but that's a big burden to put on a casting crew without dedicated observers and a million PoVs to watch.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I remember Formal planned on competing in both until he found out that contractually CWL wouldn't let him.  Not sure if that has changed at all, but if it has maybe Huke will do both.  Wouldn't surprise me if a few people did both given how well the skills cross over and how many pros in both games are fans of the other.  I would love to see that personally

So is Denver going to have two streams or are we once again going to miss great matches?

• Upvote (+1) 7

you're right about this but on the flip side outlines imo rob a lot of moments of their excitement

plus we managed just fine without outlines for a decade ;)

I wasn't into esports during Halos heyday so my opinion is biased towards my own outside experiences.

Seeing the big picture doesnt ruin my excitement. I'm used to judging players actions by what what THEY can see, not by what I can see.

Watching the old halo footage- the additional excitement, to me, wasn't because of the lack of perspective, but more because the mechanics and sandbox allowed for more interesting gameplay in general.

I do sorta understand why people might feel differently.

So is Denver going to have two streams or are we once again going to miss great matches?

Sounds expensive

• Upvote (+1) 1

Right. To expand on that analogy, seeing the PoV of the quarterback would be great occasionally so you can truly grasp how they have to process the information, but watching the game that way all the time would be impossible and there is a lot that you would miss. Those times when 2 players are searching for each other in close proximity i find more intense with outlines. Same with sneaky flanks.

The right thing to do is to do it both ways of course, but that's a big burden to put on a casting crew without dedicated observers and a million PoVs to watch.

Yeah, that sort of this is best reserved for replays/breakdowns- which is exactly what you see happen during nfl broadcasts.

If They went with the qb view live, it would inevitably be wasted on running plays, false starts, and simplistic quick plays. The caster has no idea when a worthy play will present itself.

But when something fantastic happens, fans have a live overview so they can see the moment in all its glory. Then, they replay it later and show how it broke down, even using blurring and highlighting to show exactly what key players saw and nothing more.

Edit: I'd love to see postmatch and downtime used to replay key plays from key points of view. No outlines of course.

I also think there are some times when outlines should definately be off. During listen-ins, when following a team that is mounting a comeback, and when following a player on a killstreak, for example.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah. He prefers CoD for the gameplay.

Wrong. He likes playing Halo more, but he likes the pro CoD community more. He has a lot of friends on that side.