CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

That's a drive and a half.

I make the sacrifices to support the scene. Last time I flew to Miami to take part in the 2v2.*

*Ok, so technically, I was already flying to Miami as a part of my vacation to back home, and I just so happened to also avail myself of the local 2v2, but it sounds better to say I flew to Miami to support the scene and participate in a tournament where the grand prize was a handful of req packs.

• Upvote (+1) 6

You are arguing against a bunch of non-existent arguments.

The point of matchmaking is to make "good matches". Equal chances are one of several characteristics of a good match. You also want players of equal skill. You also factor in connection. You also want to minimize matchmaking times. Obviouly it will be off- its mathmatically impossible to have all of these values be equal for every match. But a good MM system aims for this.

Party restrictions are great, and should be in the game, but that doesn't change the fact that your chances of winning are influenced by who ends up on your team.

that's an entirely seperate issue from plats matching Onyx players.

As far as "favoring soloqers" i was speaking to the notion of a system that keeps uses a single MM pool but is designed to "allow" soloqers to reach top one. So long as the pools are united,

(Which is best for MM times), they should factor party size into matches made AND when distributing CSR.

This would keep soloqers from meeting TO4s- unless they actually stood a realistic chance of beating them and allow csr to be an accurate representation of skill regardless of team size.

How am I arguing against a bunch of non existing arguments? Both party restrictions and skill restrictions already exist. They're just implemented in weak ways to not truly fix the problem of teams of four match solo q players (party restrictions) and people getting oddball players on their team because matchmaking tried to even the match out by throwing in some drastically different ranks (skill restrictions). If you tighten up both of these, the odds of getting to your true MMR raises because less chaotic factors stop influencing your chances. It is infinity harder to carry someone that has no idea how to play then it is to carry someone who at least knows enough to get into high onyx/champ. 

I said the MM part about it never being fair most of the time, you just agreed by what your said here. It will be close to fair though, or at least should be. The two major things that keep popping up to never make MM fair and to instantly almost give one team a loss is when a skill restriction choice is made to throw in a weak player that is bad enough to the point of the match being a 3v4. Then the other obvious one is party restrictions, teams match solos.

I don't know how you got party restrictions influencing who you get on your team. I don't think I said that. I blamed that on SKILL RESTRICTIONS. Your chances of winning are influenced by not just who you get on your team, but also by YOU. If you're not at your true MMR because you got better, then you'll prove that by being a bigger factor in the game. You will rank up until you get stuck again. But matchmaking has poor skill restrictions and you might get a random plat or diamond and they're unrealistically harder to carry than a onyx/champ. All I'm trying to say is, tighten up skill restrictions and party restrictions and you got a solid playing field for the solo q player. But leave them somewhat loose? You got a good amount of random losses for the solo q player making it near impossible to get to a high rank without a team of four. This is what needs to be fixed.

I agree with your favor soloq thing. It just seemed like you thought they'd be getting an advantage over teams of four from your other post. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

How am I arguing against a bunch of non existing arguments? Both party restrictions and skill restrictions already exist. They're just implemented in weak ways to not truly fix the problem of teams of four match solo q players (party restrictions) and people getting oddball players on their team because matchmaking tried to even the match out by throwing in some drastically different ranks (skill restrictions). If you tighten up both of these, the odds of getting to your true MMR raises because less chaotic factors stop influencing your chances. It is infinity harder to carry someone that has no idea how to play then it is to carry someone who at least knows enough to get into high onyx/champ.

I said the MM part about it never being fair most of the time, you just agreed by what your said here. It will be close to fair though, or at least should be. The two major things that keep popping up to never make MM fair and to instantly almost give one team a loss is when a skill restriction choice is made to throw in a weak player that is bad enough to the point of the match being a 3v4. Then the other obvious one is party restrictions, teams match solos.

I don't know how you got party restrictions influencing who you get on your team. I don't think I said that. I blamed that on SKILL RESTRICTIONS. Your chances of winning are influenced by not just who you get on your team, but also by YOU. If you're not at your true MMR because you got better, then you'll prove that by being a bigger factor in the game. You will rank up until you get stuck again. But matchmaking has poor skill restrictions and you might get a random plat or diamond and they're unrealistically harder to carry than a onyx/champ.

I agree with your favor soloq thing. It just seemed like you thought they'd be getting an advantage over teams of four from your other post.

I dont think i explained my thoughts well enough in my first comment to you.

In short, the aim of a good matchmaking system is

1) to match players of similar skill,

2) on teams with even chances of winning,

3) with good connections,

4) quickly

The current system fails when it comes to soloq, because it isn't properly handling item two. It thinks that a team of soloqers has a 50% chance at beating a to4 if both teams have the same avg MMR.

If the algorithm would properly account for the effective mmr of grouped players then soloqers wouldn't be matching teams that they have no business playing against, and if they did (due to population/MM time constraints), they wouldn't be penalized for losing.

This would allow true skill to be figured without resorting to seperate playlists (a solution that would hamper items 3 and 4). It would also facilitate a soloqer reaching top 1 without grinding with a team.

The issue with low level players ending up in matches with high level players is a different issue- the system is throwing players together assuming it can make a good match, only to realize later that can't form the teams it wants to because some players are in a party- yes this is dumb as fuck

• Upvote (+1) 3

I dont think i explained my thoughts well enough in my first comment to you.

In short, the aim of a good matchmaking system is

1) to match players of similar skill,

2) on teams with even chances of winning,

3) with good connections,

4) quickly

The current system fails when it comes to soloq, because it isn't properly handling item two. It thinks that a team of soloqers has a 50% chance at beating a to4 if both teams have the same avg MMR.

If the algorithm would properly account for the effective mmr of grouped players then soloqers wouldn't be matching teams that they have no business playing against, and if they did (due to population/MM time constraints), they wouldn't be penalized for losing.

This would allow true skill to be figured without resorting to seperate playlists (a solution that would hamper items 3 and 4). It would also facilitate a soloqer reaching top 1 without grinding with a team.

The issue with low level players ending up in matches with high level players is a different issue- the system is throwing players together assuming it can make a good match, only to realize later that can't form the teams it wants to because some players are in a party- yes this is dumb as fuck

Ok yea I agree with this. You had me thinking it was impossible to give the soloQer a fair shot at reaching champ 1 but you cleared that up.

To those 4 people who asked me to delete your post and account after last week, this is your chance!

QONVIyz.gif

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ok yea I agree with this. You had me thinking it was impossible to give the soloQer a fair shot at reaching champ 1 but you cleared that up.

I think my issue with this whole argument has been fairness vs realism. Soloqers should have a fair shot at reaching champ. Realistically someone's chances of doing that should be almost nil unless the player pop is jacked or they are playing a lot more games than a similarly skilled To4.

This pretty much confirms Denver is not the last event of H5, can people please stop worrying now?

Did anybody say this? Literally anybody?

Any events manager hired at this point would make an extremely negligible difference for the short term future in H5. Planning for structures and events for 2018 would have been in the works for months now, and this hiring process will probably take months anyway. This is a hire for H6.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Either that or they are gearing up for competitive "Halo Recruit."

No heavy aim in this one

Idk man my neck gets input lag time and again. 

This pretty much confirms Denver is not the last event of H5, can people please stop worrying now?

If ESL stays, it might as well be for me.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Who was worried?

losing-money.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

why

My guess is because it's a Halo forum, Ninja wasn't even being discussed and is no longer a pro, and you randomly out of the blue linked Ninja's stream mentioning he's playing fortnite as if anyone is talking about fortnite?

No skin off my back, just guessing why he was confused.

• Upvote (+1) 8