CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I get it though. When reach came out it cannibalized h3s player base. And h4 did the same to Reach. So i can understand players wanting to ride that wave - presumably that's where the eyes would be and it's presumably where the sponsors would be too.

And if Reach and H4 had been true halo games at their core, then it wouldn't have been a problem.  Popularity could have continued to increase.  But they changed the things that made people get hooked on the games in the first place and blew it.  Bungie didn't give 2 shits by that point.  Reach was an experimental game that they used to learn what they were going to do post-halo.  With the falling out between bungie and microsoft being as public and obvious as it was, 343 could have realized this and walked back those changes and we would be in a much better place than we are today.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Stop being nice I heard you on stream...

In all seriousness our job at Gfinity is to provide the best tournament experience for players, spectators and stream viewers alike. @@TheSimms and the ESL UK team did a fantastic job over here, its our job to pick that up and and continue the good work. Me and Rich speak all the time about Halo, and I'll be working to make sure he doesn't dissapear so don't worry about that.

Wembley was a good start last event, but we are striving to make HCS London on another level completely. I read everything on the forums, twitter etc and do my best to relay everything to the team to make sure we do everything we can to make as much happen as we can. Sadly getting hold of Emma Watson is proving tough so if anyone can help out with that then send me a DM. 

As always anything you guys want to see at HCS london, let me know here, PM or on twitter.

I wanna go

• Upvote (+1) 4

when you rel

when you rely on dev support, you go where they tell you to go. i know games like smash are pure grassroots, but the prizing shows that and i think we couldnt have kept a player run h3 scene afloat. even if it became wildly popular and we found a way to fund it, 343 could throw a c&d to shut that down. a small community run scene like we have with h:ce will not harm the popularity of the hcs or eat into sales of the latest game, but an h2 or h3 circuit that continued to pull 100 teams could hamper game sales and the hcs and i dont see 343 allowing that to happen

Facts,

But Whats funny about that line of thinking is that making a game that caters to the audience remedies that problem much more effectively than C&Ds.

Its classic corporate logic though.

"People like our old product more than our new one. What should we do? Shut the old one down of course"

And if Reach and H4 had been true halo games at their core, then it wouldn't have been a problem. Popularity could have continued to increase. But they changed the things that made people get hooked on the games in the first place and blew it. Bungie didn't give 2 shits by that point. Reach was an experimental game that they used to learn what they were going to do post-halo. With the falling out between bungie and microsoft being as public and obvious as it was, 343 could have realized this and walked back those changes and we would be in a much better place than we are today.

Right, and that's why i cant blame the community. It was a bunch of kids doing the thing that seemed to make the most sense at the time. It's honorable that smash players stuck with what they liked, but i dont see where halo players would have gotten the foresight...

Facts,

But Whats funny about that line of thinking is that making a game that caters to the audience remedies that problem much more effectively than C&Ds.

C&Ds are easier apparently  :wutface:

I saw a lot of people trashing the Overwatch league buy-in price.

But, it seems like they're legitimately trying to change esports (at least 1 game for now) into a legitimate career like real sports.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I saw a lot of people trashing the Overwatch league buy-in price.

But, it seems like they're legitimately trying to change esports (at least 1 game for now) into a legitimate career like real sports.

https://twitter.com/ESPN_Esports/status/890466790421270528

Nobody was trashing the method per se. What most people are trashing is that Blizzard is inflating the value of its game. 20 millions for a OW team is insane, and the investors will have unrealistic expectations after a 20 million buy.

OWL is a huge gamble, i'm just some guy but it doesn't seem sustainable to me

the next big thing is right around the corner

so there's 7 teams, with 5 players per team, assuming everyone gets the minimum of 50k that's only 1.75M

edit: alright now we're talking, i forgot about that

Players will also be entitled to 50 percent of performance bonuses earned by teams. There will be $3.5 million in bonuses available in Season 1, with the winner of the season earning a minimum of $1 million

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here is a better link :simms:

i really hope this takes off. i love watching this game and would love to see a format like this succeed 

so there's 7 teams, with 5 players per team, assuming everyone gets the minimum of 50k that's only 1.75M

You realize that won't happen right? A team can offer a better player more than 50k and get them to sign with them.

It's free agency in real sports. The better players will make more.

And that's just their salary. They make more from the events, and get the health care, retirement plan, and housing. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

You realize that won't happen right? A team can offer a better player more than 50k and get them to sign with them.

And that's just their salary. They make more from the events, and get the health care, retirement plan, and housing. 

yeah it's a pretty sweet deal, i just don't know how long it's gonna last

Maybe I just don't understand the meta well enough, but Overwatch is horrible to watch IMO.There is seemingly no pace to it at all and the observing I've seen has been awful. I just see this being a major bust and it causing a ton of harm to esports as a whole when that model fails on what is really not a competitive game.

• Upvote (+1) 4

does any of the buy in go to infrastructure in terms of building the home venue?

Maybe I just don't understand the meta well enough, but Overwatch is horrible to watch IMO.There is seemingly no pace to it at all and the observing I've seen has been awful. I just see this being a major bust and it causing a ton of harm to esports as a whole when that model fails on what is really not a competitive game.

It will bust.

I feel the same way about LoL and Dota 2, I've really given both games a shot (in terms of playing + watching) but I literally cannot comprehend how millions of people enjoy watching MOBA gameplay.  

Anyway I feel like the Blizzard fanbase will come through, OW is a really popular game (subreddit has 1m subscribers etc.); the OWL may not be a huge success but certainly it won't fail completely, imo

• Upvote (+1) 1

to me the biggest issue as an observer is the fact that teams arent static red or blue. that can change from match to match. at one point you're red but next match you will be blue and that is confusing as fuck. in terms of pov switching, i find it a lot less jarring the more i watch. the issue is when casters try to play with the 3rd person observer and end up putting themselves in a corner away from the action. i thing it should either be 1st person or top down

• Upvote (+1) 2

Man why are you guys talking about other shooters when it's like four days after an event?

This is the time when you're supposed to talk about dropping the players with the lowest KD from the event.

Get on th...oh, nevermind. Thanks 343.

• Upvote (+1) 4

So yea Dunkirk was pretty amazing, kinda crazy what Tom Hardy can do with just his facial expressions and have it be so impactful.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I feel the same way about LoL and Dota 2, I've really given both games a shot (in terms of playing + watching) but I literally cannot comprehend how millions of people enjoy watching MOBA gameplay.

Anyway I feel like the Blizzard fanbase will come through, OW is a really popular game (subreddit has 1m subscribers etc.); the OWL may not be a huge success but certainly it won't fail completely, imo

In LoL and dota the most confusing part (for new viewers) are teamfights, but most of the game is laning.

That reddit comment blaming the community isn't...wrong though...

About to get negged but whatever.

Like sorry guys you can't bitch about people blaming the community for Halo's downfall, then turn around and ALSO bitch at the devs for providing too little incentive to come out to MS store events. If the community isn't showing up because their only "incentive" is REQ packs, then the community is absolutely, at least partially, at fault. 

Obviously 343 has fucked up really bad. And the dude's post engages in a bunch of leaps in logic that show how little he knows about Halo's scene. But the general sentiment here is "I can't support my local grassroots scene because hurr durr REQ packs" as though supporting the scene isn't an end in itself. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Like sorry guys you can't bitch about people blaming the community for Halo's downfall, then turn around and ALSO bitch at the devs for providing too little incentive to come out to MS store events. If the community isn't showing up because their only "incentive" is REQ packs, then the community is absolutely, at least partially, at fault. 

Obviously 343 has fucked up really bad. And the dude's post engages in a bunch of leaps in logic that show how little he knows about Halo's scene. But the general sentiment here is "I can't support my local grassroots scene because hurr durr REQ packs" as though supporting the scene isn't an end in itself. 

Call me shallow or jaded, but if it's about going to a Microsoft store I can't help but think it's to get people to their store to buy things or build brand awareness. Top on the minimal prizing, I see really no reason to go. Granted, Michigan has a pretty strong local LAN community still so I don't see it as a big of a need here, could see it in other places though that don't have that.

If 343i / HCS was serious about growing the local and grassroot scene, why not tweet out smaller tournaments like Beyond, UMG, etc? Just doesn't makes sense to me when people have been trying to keep the scene active to be brushed off.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ofc the community is to blame, why aren't we playing H3 ? Or H2 ? Or CE ?.

Call me shallow or jaded, but if it's about going to a Microsoft store I can't help but think it's to get people to their store to buy things or build brand awareness. Top on the minimal prizing, I see really no reason to go. Granted, Michigan has a pretty strong local LAN community still so I don't see it as a big of a need here, could see it in other places though that don't have that.

If 343i / HCS was serious about growing the local and grassroot scene, why not tweet out smaller tournaments like Beyond, UMG, etc? Just doesn't makes sense to me.

I agree, it's obviously a marketing tool, but so is all of HCS. It still serves as a way to build a grassroots scene, especially since there aren't really any "LAN" alternatives. Also completely agreed about their hypocrisy in not RTing teambeyond tournaments, but I still don't think that's a reason to not come out to these events. 

• Upvote (+1) 1