CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

viewership isn't everything, it's only one metric

But in the end viewership is pretty much everything. If the number of viewers goes to zero then there will be no professional Halo esport. An esports success, from a financial standpoint, undoubtedly rests heavily on the number of people watching it. More viewers attracts more organizations, more advertising, more gamers. And if you want to attract more people you have to deliver a competitive game that the fan base want and great events who runs pretty much flawless. Imho 343 have not succeeded at all. They have fucked up pretty hard with so many bad decisions that my head start spinning when I think about it. Or to quote Ninja:

“I don't know what they're doing, I don't know who's running the show, but at this point, I think they just don't care,” he said. “They don't care, they don't give a shit, or there's just some fucking corrupt people at the top who don't care!"

“At that point, it's a battle of Halo esports, which let's be honest. It's a joke. It's not even like the people are doing a bad job. It's like 100 percent there is no budget there and there's definitely not enough people or staff. It's because they don't fucking care. It's a joke.”

So many wasted opportunities it makes my head hurt.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They need to develop an actual circuit. Take Atlanta for example. It was successful and they've been there a couple of times recently. They need to show up there next year too so the same teams have something to look forward to. Orlando was fucking lit because of that with MLG once upon a time. You have to keep showing up to similar areas to invest in and build up regional scenes

• Upvote (+1) 2

Anyone else kinda excited about the unknown of what happens after Denver? This sense of the completely unknown is getting me pretty hyped one the off chance that it does mean MLG are coming home

I'm just hyped on Dreamhack Denver. Halo is in a sense the premiere event there, doubling the prize pool of the next game CSGO and now Dreamhack know people will actually turn up to their events for Halo.

Barring no major production fuck ups it could be a big event.

• Upvote (+1) 3

What's the prize pool for Denver? 200k?

Yuuhp

"Showcasing the top Halo talent across the world, the HCS Pro League Fall Finals will take place Oct. 20-22 at DreamHack Denver. We’re excited to announce that the original $100,000 prize pool has been doubled, and increased to $200,000 via Halo 5 REQ crowdfunding contributions." - source

What's the prize pool for Denver? 200k?

I hate mobile and will make up for the accidental neg.

OT I'm very hopeful for Denver and pray that has the potential to help paint a good future for this series. Would love to come back to a modern game from this series (and might even buy a One again.)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Completely OT, but Cuphead is a joy just to look at

That's the best thing to do because its hard af. Everytime I beat a boss I go crazy. 

That's the best thing to do because its hard af. Everytime I beat a boss I go crazy. 

my progress hasn't been saving so i have to keep beating the same bosses :(

i might wait for a patch tbh

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wish they'd stop this bullshit implying the event is crowdfunded and just admit the truth.

"Our marketing team decided to expand the budget the same amount as the previous event, using an arbitrary amount of revenue generated from REQ packs."

Not a single event has ACTUALLY been crowd-funded.

How do you know they don't have an in-house agreement to the percentage of REQ funds that is stored and then allocated to event esports / prizepools? I honestly do not see why someone in marketing would go "we should double the prize money?" because from an advertising perspective it's not going to make a difference.

You cannot say with such certainty that there isn't a direct link from spending on REQs to the money used to increase prizepools, in fact the only thing we do know is that it is uncertain either way.

Either way it really doesn't matter because $100k, EZ MONI.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How do you know they don't have an in-house agreement to the percentage of REQ funds that is stored and then allocated to event esports / prizepools? I honestly do not see why someone in marketing would go "we should double the prize money?" because from an advertising perspective it's not going to make a difference.

You cannot say with such certainty that there isn't a direct link from spending on REQs to the money used to increase prizepools, in fact the only thing we do know is that it is uncertain either way.

Either way it really doesn't matter because $100k, EZ MONI.

I have no idea if the money actually comes from req sales but around 225k this year seems like a lot when you think about population and the amount of req points a lot of people have earned. But again i dont know bc we dont know enough about req sales and percentage that go towards hcs.

From a marketing perspective, it would make sense to say money is coming from reqs. It incentives people who care about the hcs to buy reqs in support of the pros a la TI and dota 2.

Id love to have an hcs portion of reqs that you know go to teams and prizes. Hcs armor and skins and team armor and skins from any team that wants to submit designs. I could put money on something like that but i cant bring myself to buy gold reqs when i have so many points and have no clue how much goes to prizing

• Upvote (+1) 1

Betting on Worlds 2018 being announced at Denver.

Not really much of an announcement when we already know Worlds is a yearly thing.

Are there people still buying REQ packs at this point in Halo 5? When's the last time they came out with new stuff to unlock? Surely the people still playing have unlocked everything, and those that haven't are probably too casual to put money into the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not really much of an announcement when we already know Worlds is a yearly thing.

The question this time around is, who is running worlds if ESL doesn't?

The question this time around is, who is running worlds if ESL doesn't?

Us.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have no idea if the money actually comes from req sales but around 225k this year seems like a lot when you think about population and the amount of req points a lot of people have earned. But again i dont know bc we dont know enough about req sales and percentage that go towards hcs.

Really it's not unfathomable to believe that there were actually 225k worth of reqs purchased. It's the equiv of roughly 70k gold packs. They have also had quite a few $10 packs that have come out this year as well. If I had to guess, I would assume that people still actually purchasing reqs aren't doing so for unlocks, but more for the actual usable reqs.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Only thing being announced at Denver is Worlds. It will be crowd funded and MLG will not be running the event. HWC 2018 will have extended qualifying with multiple LANs. No Pro League in 2018.

HWC 2018 will be the last event run by ESL as the main TO for HCS.

• Upvote (+1) 7