CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Best thing about Denver is going to be the forums when another year of pro league with ESL is announced.

MLG or ESL or Some other TO, its crazy to me that Halo 5 will be the main Halo game for another year.

• Upvote (+1) 2

how is anyone still clinging to hope for mlg halo 5? it's not going to happen, lmao

considering the state of the game at the moment we'll be lucky if worlds isn't at a microsoft store

how is anyone still clinging to hope for mlg halo 5? it's not going to happen, lmao

considering the state of the game at the moment we'll be lucky if worlds isn't at a microsoft store

If MLG worked with Gears 4 then Halo 5 going to MLG is totally possible. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

lets move to H1Z1 esports! RNG HYPE  :beyond:

[im posting irrelevant stuff because all of this talk about this game dying is making me sad :( i want this game to grow and be so much better but man fuck 0

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

"halo esports is dead omg!"

meanwhile, our LAN attendance continues to rise and HCS has given out like $4.5M in prize money over the past two years

With $4,5M in price money and an unknown but probably large amount of money spend on administration costs I am pretty certain that many thought Halo esport would be in a better place today than it is. With so much money spent I can´t even imagine a professional board that thinks the return on investment have been ok. And that worries me...that they cut it for good. :-(

HCS viewers in Twitch according to the Sullygnome:

BnGKDzZ.png

• Upvote (+1) 8

meanwhile, our LAN attendance continues to rise and HCS has given out like $4.5M in prize money over the past two years

LANs are doing well, but Twitch viewership (and likely the player base) definitely seem to be having problems.  

Thankfully esports is such a serious corporate buzzword right now that I don't see MS/343 backing down on that front.  I'm sure they see any losses as an investment in the future.

With $4,5M in price money and an unknown but probably large amount of money spend on administration costs I am pretty certain that many thought Halo esport would be in a better place today than it is. With so much money spent I can´t even imagine a professional board that thinks the return on investment have been ok. And that worries me...that they cut it for good. :-(

HCS viewers in Twitch according to the Sullygnome:

here's a more detailed viewership chart if you're interested

chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MuCPesz99n6d8tzfJJRI8HIYvhtzQEWLJAYMFcIksig/edit#gid=1124272265

data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MuCPesz99n6d8tzfJJRI8HIYvhtzQEWLJAYMFcIksig/edit#gid=1559599646&range=A1

prolly wont work on mobile fyi

LANs are doing well, but Twitch viewership (and likely the player base) definitely seems to be having problems.  

Thankfully esports is such an intense corporate buzzword right now that I don't see MS/343 backing down on that front.  I'm sure they see any losses as an investment in the future

^pretty much this, no one expects a ROI right now (for most dev ran esports)

it's all about marketing and hopefully converting those esports fans into DLC buys (aka REQs or skins or crates or whatever)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Frosty was streaming today and he said that the current version of TL is the best they've ever been. 

They're currently scriming atm and its tied 3-3

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

MLG or ESL or Some other TO, its crazy to me that Halo 5 will be the main Halo game for another year.

'Hold my Beer', says 343 and announce that pro-league is now replaced with Halo Wars 2 League

• Upvote (+1) 1

^pretty much this, no one expects a ROI right now (for most dev ran esports)

it's all about marketing and hopefully converting those esports fans into DLC buys (aka REQs or skins or crates or whatever)

but here's the thing, has the $4.5 million in prize pools -- likely matched by another $4.5 million in production costs, player travel, overhead -- actually produced anything remotely close to $9 million of REQ/game sales that wouldn't have happened otherwise?  just paying for straight-up marketing would probably be more cost-efficient.  who knows ...

but here's the thing, has the $4.5 million in prize pools -- likely matched by another $4.5 million in production costs, player travel, overhead -- actually produced anything remotely close to $9 million of REQ/game sales that wouldn't have happened otherwise?  just paying for straight-up marketing would probably be more cost-efficient.  who knows ...

i don't think they've spent $10M on HCS so far but i agree with you that the prize money is crazy inflated and will be adjusted

nothing about the prize money made sense, they could have invested less in prize money and had smaller more frequent events 

million dollar events are hype but we don't need that right now imo

it's better to have an esports program (which you can monetize to offset the production costs) and traditional marketing than just traditional marketing by itself

• Upvote (+1) 3

They're currently scriming atm and its tied 3-3

Ya I've been leaning on your site pretty heavily since Dadbite cracked down on the kids. Thank you for all the effort you put into it. It doesn't go un noticed. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

i don't think they've spent $10M on HCS so far but i agree with you that the prize money is crazy inflated and will be adjusted

nothing about the prize money made sense, they could have invested less in prize money and had smaller more frequent events 

million dollar events are hype but we don't need that right now imo

it's better to have an esports program (which you can monetize to offset the production costs) and traditional marketing than just traditional marketing by itself

This. I think the real next step is to integrate the Microsoft store tournaments with the HCS and have smaller, regional tournaments alongside the big season-enders (Since we're all assuming pro-league is gone moving forward). Give players more chances to show up on LAN and build our local scenes back up.

For this to work best, I think ideally we move away from points-based team seeding to individual elo-based seeding. IDK how the exact logistics behind this would work, but just make a "Playlist" and run every tournament match through the CSR system.

• Upvote (+1) 3

LAN attendance only rises because ESL gained the few IQ points needed to realize that East Coast events would lead to higher attendance and that AM teams have a lot more to gain since finals are open events. 99% sure that Denver will have significantly less teams than Atlanta. Meanwhile, viewership continues to plummet.

As for the money, that's the only thing keeping Halo relevant. Not gameplay and certainly not attractive production. MS will eventually realize they're dumping a ludicrous amount of cash into a sinkhole. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If a company blowing a bunch of money on a product/service that no one gives a fuck about is a worthwhile metric for success, then fuck me are there are lot of successful products by companies that coincidently went out of business shortly after releasing them. Moses logic is interesting.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 8