CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Destiny 2 has done exactly what a sequel to a successful game should do.

Improved the areas it failed last time with campaign, launch content and quality of life improvements while preserving the core gameplay loop that players love.

The "it's the same thing" argument is nonsense. When studios listen to that complaint you end up with games trying to be derivative of other games instead of former versions of themselves. We get fed these abominations in the name of "change" and "innovation".

Please stop.

yeah no, half the reviewers (on Metacritic) and most of the internet have attacked Destiny 2 for being glorified DLC.  basically it's a $29 DLC and a big patch being sold as a full game (very clever on Activision's part).

from a layman's perspective, the 10 hours i spent playing Destiny 2 felt EXACTLY like Destiny 1.  I don't doubt that there are differences, but just ... lol.  i'm exactly the sort of player who would be a new sales target for Destiny 2 (halfway enjoyed the original, getting tired of other games, was a fan of H1-H3) but it's literally just Destiny 1, so why bother.  

for examples of how sequels can keep the same basic gameplay and core experience but also be true sequels that add significant features and bring in new players, look at Diablo 1 to 2, Halo 2 to 3, Mass Effect 1 to 2, Witcher 2 to 3, Final Fantasy 6 to 7, Metal Gear Solid 2 to 3, etc.

in terms of other games, Destiny 2 is like Bioshock 2 ... a copy of the original with minimal changes

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

After playing Destiny Beta on PC @ 60FPS (Buttery smooth and amazing), I tried out the 30FPS console version last night... couldnt do it. 

Got through the campaign lore and it was noticeably clunky - multiplayer was about 10000x worse :(

PC Gaming has ruined me  :apg:  :apg:  :apg:

I stopped playing Destiny 1 after H5 came out. A few months later, my Destiny friends needed someone badly for a raid, so I popped the disk in. I literally restarted my Xbox thinking something was wrong before realizing that's just what 30 FPS looks like lol

I'm sure Destiny 2 is a fun game and I'll probably get it eventually. But I don't feel any desire to buy it at full price right now. I paid $140 in total for Destiny 1, and felt like I was getting ripped off the whole time. I'm sure they've learned from their mistakes and the game is more complete at launch, but I know that paid DLC is coming, and I'll wait until after those are released when you can get the game+DLC deals.

Also, I'm fine with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. But something that really annoyed me was seeing the loading into missions scenes be the same exact thing as D1 lol idk why it bothers me so much, but I just wanted to be able to fly the ships, or at least do barrel rolls and stuff during the loading screen. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

After playing Destiny Beta on PC @ 60FPS (Buttery smooth and amazing), I tried out the 30FPS console version last night... couldnt do it.

Got through the campaign lore and it was noticeably clunky - multiplayer was about 10000x worse :(

PC Gaming has ruined me :apg::apg::apg:

Yeah, run it uncapped and managed around 200-250 fps and it was AMAZING. You get what you pay for, 30fps on console sucks but at least they gave console an extremly gorgeous looking game still and didnt chop it down to a crappy looking render just to hit another 30fps.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The real D2 gamers should be hyped about is Divinity Original Sin 2. Destiny is like the WoW of FPS...just offers a mindless escape, bullet-sponge type enemies, endless grind and plays to skinner box type impulsions/obsessions in people. But everyone plays it so the social aspect sucks you in whether you like it or not. Its not even that deep like WoW is though and the raids are not nearly as replayable. But its marketing is top-notch and its super accessible/multi-platform and the console crowd has nothing else to fill their down time between CoD sessions and watching Twitch.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The real D2 gamers should be hoped about is Divinity Original Sin 2. Destiny is like the WoW of MPS...just offers a mindless escape and plays to skinner box type impulsions/obsessions in people and everyone plays it so the social aspect sucks you in whether you like it or not.

$45 for a PoE clone, no thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Im still waiting for a game to come out that makes me want to drop a lot of money on a PC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Divinity: Original Sin is more like FF Tactics or whatever, not really hack-and-slash

It's not impossible for the PS4/Xbox One to run 60FPS games. They already do. The game can be altered to be less taxing for console use. Bungie chose to force 30FPS instead, taking console users back 2011 if they want to play Destiny 2. Yes, they fucked over their console users.

Your average console gamer cares more about the visuals than they do high performance. If Destiny 2 came out uglier than Destiny 1 (which is what it would have taken), many more console users would have felt fucked over.

developers aren't going to trade that audience for those who must have 60fps- knowing that most of the people in that camp play on PCs anyway.

I'm not sure why anyone would expect a business to go against the wishes of the most profitable segment of their audience. That's a great way to lose sales.

• Upvote (+1) 1

WTF are you talking about? PoE and Divinity have little in common outside of their both party-based cRPGs. Divinity is turn-based while PoE is real-time combat with an option to pause and set up tactical combos/oversee the battlefield. PoE is a much darker game while Divinity is much more colorful and light-hearted Fantasy RPG with the occasional dark moment that can catch you off guard.

The original Divinity is widely considered a modern cRPG master-piece drawing inspirations from classic RPG masterpieces like Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape:Torment as well as some modern games like Dragon:Age Origins and Fallout 1+2.  Divinity 2 is by all accounts, already being heralded as BETTER, DEEPER, and MORE ENGAGING combat wise than Divinity 1 and its tough to say whether its better but having played the early access version on Steam I think its highly improved in alot of key areas. Larian Studios took an already stellar RPG and improved it while retaining its classic RPG roots.

Its already highly reviewed on Steam/Metacritic as well. I dont rave about alot of games(im very hard to impress and cynical) but this game has me hyped as fuck. If you like RPG's this is a MUST buy. Grab a friend too and introduce them to a great deep tactical RPG with tons of secrets, deep and original fantasy lore, original story-lines and characters where in-game decisions/conversation options shape different outcomes(your decisions ACTUALLY MATTER in DOS 2) and the fate of individual party members, as well as affect your reputation with different towns/guilds and NPC's, STELLAR graphics and unique animations/effects for character abilitites/combo, UNIQUE RPG classes(You want to be an agile Elvin Mage who can throw thunderbolts from afar AND then close in quickly with medium armor and finish enemies off with 2-handed sword strikes? GO FOR IT!) and races, TONS of customization and a deep talent system/gear progression system, an innovative new GAME MASTER mode that replicates DnD-style gameplay, and 100's of hours of re-playable content planned for post-release. Its set to release September 14th on PC,Xbox, and PS4. No reason not to buy it you can thank me later! ;)

http://www.metacritic.com/g00/game/pc/divinity-original-sin?i10c.referrer=

http://store.steampowered.com/app/435150/Divinity_Original_Sin_2/

• Upvote (+1) 2

Really enjoying the level of competition in EU halo atm. This is likely to change once infused hit their stride though. Today they played much better but still a little shaky in places. The potential they have is huge though, hope they get things nailed for DH denver.

On another note, HCS London in 5 days! Gonna be spectating my second LAN but first open LAN so really cant wait.

• Upvote (+1) 5

yeah no, half the reviewers (on Metacritic) and most of the internet have attacked Destiny 2 for being glorified DLC.  basically it's a $29 DLC and a big patch being sold as a full game (very clever on Activision's part).

from a layman's perspective, the 10 hours i spent playing Destiny 2 felt EXACTLY like Destiny 1.  I don't doubt that there are differences, but just ... lol.  i'm exactly the sort of player who would be a new sales target for Destiny 2 (halfway enjoyed the original, getting tired of other games, was a fan of H1-H3) but it's literally just Destiny 1, so why bother.  

for examples of how sequels can keep the same basic gameplay and core experience but also be true sequels that add significant features and bring in new players, look at Diablo 1 to 2, Halo 2 to 3, Mass Effect 1 to 2, Witcher 2 to 3, Final Fantasy 6 to 7, Metal Gear Solid 2 to 3, etc.

in terms of other games, Destiny 2 is like Bioshock 2 ... a copy of the original with minimal changes

Yeah no.

Metacritic blows, there are only 6 professional reviews in yet (kudos to reviewers for taking their time honestly) and user reviews are notoriously shitty there.  Critics =/= actual game's intended audience.

Even if we accept that its basically a DLC pack (i dont), Its still got a new 8-10 hour campaign that is actually pretty good. New strikes, new raid, better navigation and as much content as Destiny 1 plus any 1 or 2 additional DLCs.  If its "just dlc", its $60 worth of DLC....

If you dont like it because they didn't change enough stuff from Destiny 1 which lost your interest quickly, than you are simply not the target audience for the game.  

If you played a lot of destiny 1 than Destiny 2 is a package that has $60 worth of "new fun stuff to do" in it.  Bungie doesn't ( and shouldn't) give a shit about the people that don't think its a "true sequel" if those are the same people that stopped playing Destiny 1 after a month, which most of them seem to be.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I assume he means Paths of Exile when he writes PoE as Pillars of Eternity came out after the first Divinity?

Thats an even worse comparison then imo Path of Exile is an action RPG with hardcore survival elements more like Dark Souls than D:OS. All quality games though, the current renaissance of classic "hardcore"(debatable but in the eyes of the average Skyrim player maybe) RPG's has been the greatest thing to happen to gaming in the last couple years.  To put that in perspective, it would be like if a modern day Rainbow Six 3 or Quake III:Arena was developed by relatively unknown developers and revived their respective sub-genres to prominence and previous greatness with modern graphics, functionality, and actual improvements to game-play.

Yep, I'm sure most would have loved Halo 1, 2 or 3 multiplayer carried on if possible.

I swear some people are so die or ride Halo that they don't think that hey maybe others enjoy other games too! Not all btw, but it's a dumb mentality to have as gamers. Who cares what people like to play. I've only played a little of Destiny 2 (been finishing up Uncharted TLL) and it had a great intro. Can't wait to dive in more later this month.

Plug Time: For those that like Destiny 2, make sure to check out our homepage. @@Infinity and the rest of our writers have been killing it so far with articles.

H1 to h3 are wildly different games

pUz808a.png

here's the results for the final EU cup before london

thanks for tuning in and hanging out in chat

NA STREAM GOES LIVE IN 1 HOUR

• Upvote (+1) 9

Its weird how a game can keep the same gameplay forumla revamp basically all of the currency systems, create all new locations, tons of new items, all new multiplayer maps, and add an entire story campaign with tons of cut scenes that just didn't exist in the first game and you act like its a DLC. Its bigger than the first Destiny and addresses basically all concerns. If this is a DLC what was the first game?

• Upvote (+1) 8

I know we're in kind of a lull period in Halo esports, but I thought it'd be a good time to show you guys something I've been working on. I've always been fascinated by statistics and analytics, and I wanted to bring some of that to Halo. So me and a couple of friends put together a website to start doing that: http://www.halorecondata.com. Now, it's not much at the moment. All we have up there are basic heat maps from pro/top AM scrims and pro league, but we figured that'd be a good start.

What I'm really excited to be working on is quantifying large scale player behaviors. Whether it be for a certain map (where on coliseum is the most effective place to snipe from?), teams (what does OpTic do differently than other teams), or players (which player is the most clutch?), I want to provide traditional sports level analytics (think Sabermetrics) to Halo (and possibly other games too, though it depends on the availability and scope of their APIs).

Shout out to @@Bad Dub for helping out with data and gamertags. He and I have a gentleman's agreement not to step on each other's toes, so I'll try to focus on macro level analysis while he remains the go-to for the latest HCS scores, stats, and standings.

If you guys do check us out, please feel free to provide feedback. I really appreciate it. Thanks!

I love this and both of you guys. Thanks for your hard work.

I know you're in draft mode right now but I would prefer to see one map with a dropdown menu or other means of swapping the data overlay rather than scrolling through a lot of premade maps. Currently it's difficult for me to compare one map to another side by side without screenshotting or getting a larger monitor, and a lot of the interest from the maps comes from comparing them to one another! 

Very excited for gametype and skill level filters. Is it feasible to do a LAN filter? I know they can be a little dodgy about reporting stats and I'm not sure if you have access to raw data from events or not.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I assume he means Paths of Exile when he writes PoE as Pillars of Eternity came out after the first Divinity?

no just wanted to trigger arglactable lol

• Downvote (-1) 3

I'm getting really annoyed that we're talking about Destiny 2's graphics on the most popular Halo thread in Beyond.

Even if you love or hate another game - we just talk about it even if there's a toruney going on.

But yet again, is not anyone's fault. Our game is so stale, uninteresting and just weird that other games (CoD, Destiny, etc) are more interesting in general.

In other words, I'm annoyed that we have a shitty ass Halo game that is boring in general and we can't discuss something new, something interesting, and something that doesn't involve beating a dead horse regarding Halo. Fuck man I'm frustrated, I'm also hangry.

kE1rL4A.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 6