CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Halo only has 1 of the genres 4 big pillars: equals starts.It doesn't have fast paced skillful movement, the high emphasis on map/pickup control that games like ut and quake have, or pickups (halo only has weapon pickups.It doesn't have health or armor pickups). Those are just the big 4 I could list off minor differences like regenerating health,lack of verticality, melees not being tied to a specific weapon, concept of a utility weapon, concept of a power weapon, completely different functioning sandboxes,and the ability to carry more than 2 weapons.Like I said before it's not an arena shooter.

Actual fans of the Arena shooter genre hate it when Halo gets called an Arena shooter, but the general gaming crowd doesn't care at all and will use the term Arena Shooter anything that remotely resembles an AFPS (I've seen people call Titanfall an Arena FPS, how about that).

It's like true metalheads that despise being lumped together with metalcore and deathcore, but the general population just calls everything metal anyways.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Actual fans of the Arena shooter genre hate it when Halo gets called an Arena shooter, but the general gaming crowd doesn't care at all and will use the term Arena Shooter anything that remotely resembles an AFPS (I've seen people call Titanfall an Arena FPS, how about that).

It's like true metalheads that despise being lumped together with metalcore and deathcore, but the general population just calls everything metal anyways.

i hate when people think i listen to metal when i listen to metalcore and deathcore lol

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Naventic's 4th is Victory X. Quote me when it is proven right. (Or terribly wrong)

i asked Victory yesterday if he was back and he said "Nope!"

Nem leaving/getting dropped sucks.

I always thought Dastroyed was the one who would be getting dropped.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think it's fair to call H1 an arena shooter. It doesn't fit perfectly with the rest of the genre, and it's the only Halo game that really fits at all, but it definitely hits the core values of arena shooters. If anything, the biggest deviation from traditional arena shooters is how powerful you are off of spawn, and like you said you don't have to run around the map to regenerate your shields.

Even halo 1 isn't an arena shooter imo.It still doesn't have two of the big 4 pillars and it's still not fully there in the pickups category but that's my personal opinion.

I always thought Dastroyed was the one who would be getting dropped.

I think it makes more sense that Nemassist left for Ronin rather but idk.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Kind of, every time I see someone from the halo fanbase call halo an arena shooter it reminds of a little kid wearing adult clothes saying "look Mommy I'm all grown up now!"
  • Downvote (-1) 1

so astronomers have discovered a new massive blackhole in a toxic gas cloud near the center of the milky way. astronomers believe black hole was formed by the suggestions the halo community has offered but 343 has ignored. scientists fear that if 343 continues to ignore its fanbase, either the blackhole or toxic cloud may destroy the galaxy from within

• Upvote (+1) 9

Does EG even care? Like seriously, they straight up just don't play. Maybe they're experiencing a roster change.

Theyre scrimming tonight

The general gaming crowd is stupid. Shocking.

Deathcore doesn't deserve to be metal. Its like death metal if it was dropped as a child... So, I guess the metaphor fits.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The previous HCS thread had about twice as many pages at this point in its life.

Constant breaks and staleness will do that to be people.

Halo only has 1 of the genres 4 big pillars: equals starts.It doesn't have fast paced skillful movement, the high emphasis on map/pickup control that games like ut and quake have, or pickups (halo only has weapon pickups.It doesn't have health or armor pickups). Those are just the big 4 I could list off minor differences like regenerating health,lack of verticality, melees not being tied to a specific weapon, concept of a utility weapon, concept of a power weapon, completely different functioning sandboxes,and the ability to carry more than 2 weapons.Like I said before it's not an arena shooter.

Imagine an alternate universe in which Halo Reach would have been an actual arena shooter. They already have the lore angle of the inferior Spartan-llls. They brought back health packs. They should have gone a step further and made it so your shields didn't recharge either and you had to collect fuel cells on map or something to recharge it. Would have been a good chance to experiment with the weapon sandbox as well and do away with a utility weapon and power weapons for a more traditional arena shooter sandbox. Reach was the perfect game to experiment with (since it isn't part of the main series) and instead of making an awesome game that is even closer to arena shooters in its design they made the shit show that is Reach and the gameplay has been going downhill since.

Regular gamers are stupid for not giving a shit about 100% precisely labeling games under an antiquated niche subgenre? Bit harsh of a statement.

They're stupid for a hell of a lot more reasons than that, but I guess we can pretend calling Overwatch an Arena Shooter (which people do) isn't completely idiotic.

• Upvote (+1) 1

:stressed:

Ronin is pretty smart with their outreach strategy. I was so skeptical about them being a pro league team, but they've been pretty professional and great about reaching out to the community in promoting their team. 

• Upvote (+1) 2