CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Halo Championship Series - Format Idea

this is really cool. it kind of reminds me of the dota 2 format. 2 other dota ideas that i would implement are that the TO of majors must put up a certain dollar amount and the receive matching money up to a point.  it could be something low like 50k that is matched by 343 to make the 100k you mentioned. the second idea is that points are scaled based on overall prize pool. a major that puts up 200k will give more points than a 100k major. more TO investment, more teams competing, more on the line. it could be fun to see if that could work

any insight as to why something like this wasnt tried while you were at esl?

• Upvote (+1) 2

:fire:  :fire:  :fire:

Great post and I don't think I really found anything I disagree with in the format.

I gotta ask though,

Were ideas like this ever kicked around within ESL? Not that I'm saying it should be down to you, but were they planning on keeping the HCS as a half-assed affair?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Possible Calendar

January - Break

February - Break(weekly online tournaments)

March - Minor 1

April - Major 1

May - Break (weekly online tournaments)

June - Minor 2

July - Major 2

August - Break (weekly online tournaments)

September - Minor 3

October - Major 3

November - Break

December - Break

note* November - February could be used for a Halo World Championship season.

Love the ideas:

Maybe bi-weekly online tournaments (or alternating regions weekly) so you don't burn people out grinding lower points and an advantage such as a bye for pro teams so they're not waiting around all day complaining - it also gives freshly seeded teams a chance to play before they get blown out. Could also fold in community run tournaments, I'm sure Beyond would be more than thrilled to host a developer promoted tournament even if it's just online.

Events

Player points + team points from event to event makes a lot of sense as obviously the current system isn't working anyway. My only concern overall is that with 3 majors / minors it's great from an NA standpoint but looking at it from an international perspective I'm almost certain there would be some backlash if they wanted to improve the EU scene by running a major+minor over here. Possibly with Worlds being NA based it might work itself out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Love the ideas:

Maybe bi-weekly online tournaments (or alternating regions weekly) so you don't burn people out grinding lower points and an advantage such as a bye for pro teams so they're not waiting around all day complaining - it also gives freshly seeded teams a chance to play before they get blown out. Could also fold in community run tournaments, I'm sure Beyond would be more than thrilled to host a developer promoted tournament even if it's just online.

Events

Player points + team points from event to event makes a lot of sense as obviously the current system isn't working anyway. My only concern overall is that with 3 majors / minors it's great from an NA standpoint but looking at it from an international perspective I'm almost certain there would be some backlash if they wanted to improve the EU scene by running a major+minor over here. Possibly with Worlds being NA based it might work itself out.

Having some offering in EU would also be needed. I was envisioning a continuation of the current format they have running with Gfinity or a similar schedule for EU teams (maybe a Minor/Major towards the end of the season?). International teams would be welcome to compete in the Majors/Minors in NA, it's also possible that one of these could be held overseas as well?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Scrap EU for LATAM and we got ourselves a league.

15 eu teams signed up for the cup yesterday so i'd be okay with this

(not really but we seriously need to support LATAM, they are our biggest international region)

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Love the ideas:

Events

Some great ideas overall.  In terms of the international aspect, maybe minor events could be run in their respective regions as well as the online cups with seeding points leading up to the majors which are always/mostly international events.  The number of teams from different regions could be similar to hwc 2016 but with a larger champ bracket to allow local AM teams to get in as well.  This way with a greater number of large events some could occasionally be held in EU/LATAM/AU/NZ.  This would not only allow fans in these regions to see the top NA teams live which can only be good for these scenes but also allow NA players to play in different countries.

This could be almost a mix between the more standard halo format and COD world league.

I doubt there would be the money for this kind of thing but damn would it be amazing.

15 eu teams signed up for the cup yesterday so i'd be okay with this

(not really but we seriously need to support LATAM, they are our biggest international region)

i agree that LATAM needs a supported scene, but serious question: is it easy to travel between countries there? in EU you just go between countries with pretty minimal effort; is it like that in latin america?

• Upvote (+1) 1

i agree that LATAM needs a supported scene, but serious question: is it easy to travel between countries there? in EU you just go between countries with pretty minimal effort; is it like that in latin america?

good question, we have quite a few latam users so hopefully they can provide some intel

• Upvote (+1) 1

To travel? yeah, it's easy, basically you just need a passport to travel from one country to another (we are kinda as open as EU), but countries here are really big, so only option for traveling to Mexico D.F (assuming they want to make the league there) from another country is to take a plane, you can catch some good prices from time to time though, I believe I saw some tickets the other day for something like $400, but even that price is unaffordable for most Halo players.

If they want to make a league here it would have to be online + LAN finals with expenses paid or something like that, but I'm sure we would be fine with just an online league. Of course LAN events are better so I'm fine if they start with Mexico first and expand to other countries later, that's better than nothing.

• Upvote (+1) 6

To travel? yeah, it's easy, basically you just need a passport to travel from one country to another (we are kinda as open as EU), but countries here are really big, so only option for traveling to Mexico D.F (assuming they want to make the league there) from another country is to take a plane, you can catch some good prices from time to time though, I believe I saw some tickets the other day for something like $400, but even that price is unaffordable for most Halo players.

If they want to make a league here it would have to be online + LAN finals with expenses paid or something like that, but I'm sure we would be fine with just an online league. Of course LAN events are better so I'm fine if they start with Mexico first and expand to other countries later, that's better than nothing.

cool, good to know. maybe with the majors/minors idea @@Vivi had, latam players (or orgs if the team has one) can foot the bill for minors, but a certain number of teams based on points can be flown out to majors by 343 while the rest are responsible for their own travel again. it doesnt seem ideal to force that much travel but its better than just online

shit that should be the case anyway with an online pro league and one placement lan to start the season and an open finals that top 6/8 are flown to

cool, good to know. maybe with the majors/minors idea @@Vivi had, latam players (or orgs if the team has one) can foot the bill for minors, but a certain number of teams based on points can be flown out to majors by 343 while the rest are responsible for their own travel again. it doesnt seem ideal to force that much travel but its better than just online

shit that should be the case anyway with an online pro league and one placement lan to start the season and an open finals that top 6/8 are flown to

Could do a Minor type system in a variety of regions where the prizes are travel covered for the top X teams (say $10,000 worth of travel, or 2 or so international teams most likely) to the next Major in NA. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Could do a Minor type system in a variety of regions where the prizes are travel covered for the top X teams (say $10,000 worth of travel, or 2 or so international teams most likely) to the next Major in NA.

I really am curious to know if these kinds of ideas were ever brought up by esl for use in halo or if 343 gave you your direction and esl simply followed it. We give a ton of shit to esl and im curious to know if esl desrves it or if they just go along with what 343 wants

• Upvote (+1) 3

I really am curious to know if these kinds of ideas were ever brought up by esl for use in halo or if 343 gave you your direction and esl simply followed it. We give a ton of shit to esl and im curious to know if esl desrves it or if they just go along with what 343 wants

I understand and I'd love to answer, but since that information was never made public it's not something I can discuss. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don't know if anyone even cares, but I actually live near the Houston area (Missouri City) and it's been a rough few days. I haven't even had a chance to catch up with the forums until today. From all the tornado warnings all the way to the mandatory evacuation we had today, I'm drained. With all that being said, I would love to thank everyone here on beyond for keeping it positive with memes, conversations and just Halo in general. It's not over yet for me, but if anyone else here is from around this area, we will get through it.

Good pun. Hope you stay safe bud!

• Upvote (+1) 3

I understand and I'd love to answer, but since that information was never made public it's not something I can discuss. 

Well you seem to genuinely like Halo and have a good idea of what would actually be enjoyable as a spectator. Hopefully you'll be around with a TO that's willing and capable of pulling something like what you suggested off

• Upvote (+1) 4

Well you seem to genuinely like Halo and have a good idea of what would actually be enjoyable as a spectator. Hopefully you'll be around with a TO that's willing and capable of pulling something like what you suggested off

Thanks!

Halo Championship Series - Format Idea

edit*: Organizer behind this is TBD. I am no longer employed by ESL, I left in April. This is just a general overview of a format that I think could work for Halo esports. 

First, if this is not the appropriate place for this post I apologize. Below is a format that I've been drawing up that I, as a Halo fan, would like to see competitive Halo move towards and I would also like to see what the community thinks (and maybe make some changes from your feedback). 

Overview

Alternating Minor and Major event schedule with weekly online tournaments. Minors would be held 3-4 weeks before the following Major with a 4+ week break after each Major. Weekly tournaments only offered on weeks not featuring a Major or Minor.

Major

• 128 Team Maximum
  • dual-stage (Open and Championship Brackets) double-elimination tournament
  • 16 team Championship Bracket (top 8 teams by points [more on point system later] + top 8 placing teams in the Open Bracket)
  • Maximum amount of points available
  • $100,000 minimum prize pool
  • 2 broadcast stations minimum
  • Event Focus - "wow" factor - Side tournaments/events (FFA), artist alley, signing sessions, pro and dev panels, etc
  • Possible Locations - Atlanta, St. Louis, Columbus
  • note* with the conversations between Tashi and Jack Felling from TC, these may also be prime opportunities to host Microsoft Studios events and hold tournaments for both titles, increasing the scale and "wow" factor for attendees.
  • (think Dreamhack Atlanta scale)

Minor

• 64 Team Maximum
  • single-stage double-elimination tournament
  • 1/2 points available as a Major (subject to change)
  • $25,000 minimum prize pool
  • 1 broadcast station minimum
  • Event Focus - AM player experience - pro player coaching sessions, play-a-pro, AM spotlights/interviews, etc
  • Possible Locations - Las Vegas, Nashville, St. Charles (Chicago), Santa Ana
  • (think Millenial/ESA/UGC scale)

Weekly Tournaments

• No team maximum
  • single-stage double-elimination tournament
  • minimum amount of points available
  • $1,000 prize pool minimum
  • Featured Player streams or remote broadcast
  • These events could also be offered at Microsoft Store locations around the country, similar to the tournaments offered recently. Winning teams earn points and other prizes.

Point System

Historically, points earned at events were awarded to each individual player with the amount of points earned depending on where the team finished in the tournament. This system allowed players to leave teams but retain their individual points, increasing their value as a "free agent." More recently, Halo has moved towards a team-based point system where all points are retained by the team. This encourages teams to maintain a more stable roster as the season progresses. The below system is intended to reward players individually while also rewarding teams for maintaining a majority of the roster from the previous event.

Points are awarded to players and the "team" equally. Points earned from each tournament or event are split 5 ways, between the 4 players and the "team".

Teams that retain 3/4 of their roster between events retain the points earned by the “team” up to that point. If teams change 2 or more players between events, the “team’s” points are forfeit.

Example:

Team 1 (Players 1-4), won the last tournament and earned 10,000 points. Each player has 2,000 individual points and the team also has 2,000 points.

Team 2 (Players 5-8) placed second and earned 8,000 points. Each player has 1,600 points and the team also has 1,600 points.

Event 2 is approaching and the teams submit their rosters. Team 1 has dropped Players 3 and 4, they've picked up Player 5 from Team 2 and 1 player from another team who has 400 points.

Team 1 Roster and Points

• Player 1: 2,000 pts
  • Player 2: 2,000 pts
  • Player 5: 1,600 pts
  • Player 9: 400 pts
  • Team: 0 pts (team points forfeit due to 2 changes to the roster)
  • Total - 6,000 pts

Team 2 only replaces the 1 player they lost to Team 1 (a player with 400 points as well), their roster and points:

• Player 6: 1,600 pts
  • Player 7: 1,600 pts
  • Player 8: 1,600 pts
  • Player 10: 400 pts
  • Team: 1,600 pts (team points are retained for maintaining a majority of the roster from the previous event)
  • Total - 6,800 pts

In this example, Team 2 would have a higher seed at Event 2 than Team 1 due to the points earned by the "team." However, Team 1 doesn't lose all of their progress from winning the last event, they would still retain a top seed in the tournament. 

So long as a team maintained the majority of the roster from event to event, the team points would continue to accumulate. 

Points for players/teams expire after X events.

Just a thought,

-Vivi. 

*edited slightly for formatting*

*edit 2

Possible Calendar

January - Break

February - Break(weekly online tournaments)

March - Minor 1

April - Major 1

May - Break (weekly online tournaments)

June - Minor 2

July - Major 2

August - Break (weekly online tournaments)

September - Minor 3

October - Major 3

November - Break

December - Break

note* November - February could be used for a Halo World Championship season.

I like these ideas.

Miss you pal

• Upvote (+1) 2