CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

snip

In situations like this where reason/evidence contradicts a single experience I usually think of alternatives to try to get the bottom of things. 

What is the alternative of Quinn acting like he cares about Halo at his Halo event?

- Quinn acting like he doesn't give two shits at his own event? 

What is the likelihood of this happening?

Of course Quinn is going to present himself well at his own event - good Lord, it is like Hecz said "actions speak louder than words".

The DHATL credits showed some job roles in it.

Notable roles

ESPORTS Lead - Elizabeth Van Wyck 

Who is that? I'm not trying to be facetious or anything, what's her background?

Who is that? I'm not trying to be facetious or anything, what's her background?

7acefb4c44.png

"esports lead"

• Upvote (+1) 1

I totally understand things have not been perfect for the HCS and it can be a bummer, but holy shit dudes. Stop being such pricks. After talking to Quin, and seeing how much he loves these events, im sorry but a lot of these dudes obviously care. I think we all need to remember Halo 5's problems probably stem back to the xbox one's bullshit drm and other things behind the scenes we probably don't know, but for the love of God, this isn't the AGL days where the tournament scene is just dead and gone.

Some of you are being dicks for the hell of it. Stop before 343 STOPS and then we have nothing, and if you'd prefer nothing over these events, goodbye. I'll wait patiently because 343 is trying hard and will eventually nail it, and after Atlanta ( which had lots of problems no doubt ) i see the potential of our game. I can see 343 learning from their failure. You can't succeed without failure.

Just bothers me how some of you just want to be total fucking pricks which will have us out the door and on our own again. Just like i did to my ex for being a conplete bitch. It can happen to all of us here too. Let's not pretend any of you will put grass roots together either, because you never will so don't even open your fucking mouth

Nice rant, but being "nice" or "trying" doesn't cut it for a billion dollar franchise. If a person is not good at their job they need to be let go and it seems 343 keeps employees no matter how well they perform. 

*esports leader resume*

So no experience in esports whatsoever? I'm sorry, even for 343 this makes no sense. 

Honestly Moses I'm hoping you get some kinda Halo esports job so it might be best to keep in a little constructive than a full on toast. idk.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So no experience in esports whatsoever? I'm sorry, even for 343 this makes no sense.

Could be wrong, but I remember talking to Jack from Gears and she said she was new to it (eSports).

She took it as motivation though and listened to the community and worked at it. I know people like to dog gears on gameplay and whatnot but I'm pretty sure everyone would love to switch places minus prize money.

---------

I think it says a lot we have no idea who is leading the HCS at this point either way.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Could be wrong, but I remember talking to Jack from Gears and she said she was new to it (eSports).

She took it as motivation though and listened to the community and worked at it. I know people like to dog gears on gameplay and whatnot but in pretty sure everyone would love to switch places minus prize money.

---------

I think it says a lot we have no idea who is leading the HCS at this point either way.

Yeah, I mean I literally know nothing about the HCS lead. For all I know, she knows her shit. The hire just doesn't make sense to me when the only info that I have is the resume that Zavehi posted

When did i say they were "nice". That's not my argument. Half the problems in Atlanta 100% were out of their hands.

This isn't about them being nice. This about being able to appreciate that this isn't the Prepatch Reach and AGL days and they're giving to us, let's be real, with no return.

Their investment into our community is an investment in our growth.

We are not going to have perfect events in Halo 5. Take a breath and accept it.

If that is the fault of 343 or Microsoft's stupid decisions (which I bank on it being microsoft in my honest opinion) it sucks, but pissing and moaning isn't going to help the game, or attract new players to the scene.

We're seeing growth again, for what it's worth, and I'd rather suck it up for 1 last year, and guess what, in 2018 right now, give or take a few months, we'll have lan supported Halo, events, good times.

Like chill dudes. Come to terms with Halo 5's issues and address them like adults. If we did I'm sure @@Deez @@Timo and whoever else at esl/343 would post here more.

Be adult about it. If we don't we'll kiss our dev support goodbye, and I don't want that to happen.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Why do we still hold Gears up as what we want from Halo? It seems like (for some unknown reason) that Halo is healthier than GOW. Maybe, just maybe some of our assumptions about what is "best" might be off?

I admit I have the same thoughts, but I don't think we should completely overlook what's happening in their scene (or at least what seems to be happening)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

in 2018 right now, give or take a few months, we'll have lan supported Halo, events, good times.

:laughing:

They can't even get a stream to work for their Grand Finals and I'm supposed to think they will somehow create a video game better than Halo 5, when literally every Halo game they have created has been trash? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

In situations like this where reason/evidence contradicts a single experience I usually think of alternatives to try to get the bottom of things.

What is the alternative of Quinn acting like he cares about Halo at his Halo event?

- Quinn acting like he doesn't give two shits at his own event?

What is the likelihood of this happening?

Of course Quinn is going to present himself well at his own event - good Lord, it is like Hecz said "actions speak louder than words".

Problem being Quinn does not run the event, and from how he was speaking, he has no influences on the HCS. He seems to probably be focused on the next Halo.

Like you guys are saying, no idea who's running it but they make some good choices. Dreamhack for the next 2 finals is pure genius and I hope Halo keeps a good home there after Atl and Denver. That for example was a smart idea. But the issues of the game screwed with the experience. Like I get it, but once again, that's back tracking to the xbox one being a glitch fest. It really is.

• Upvote (+1) 3

She took it as motivation though and listened to the community and worked at it. I know people like to dog gears on gameplay and whatnot but I'm pretty sure everyone would love to switch places minus prize money.

---------

Well there's your difference in the two companies right there

Their investment into our community is an investment in our growth.

We're seeing growth again, for what it's worth, and I'd rather suck it up for 1 last year, and guess what, in 2018 right now, give or take a few months, we'll have lan supported Halo, events, good times.

Like chill dudes. Come to terms with Halo 5's issues and address them like adults. If we did I'm sure @@Deez @@Timo and whoever else at esl/343 would post here more.

Be adult about it. If we don't we'll kiss our dev support goodbye, and I don't want that to happen.

343's investment? They invest their time the same way (it seems) millions of Americans do at their job - they go there for the paycheck and that's about it. They don't have passion, no matter what they tell you. And the people in the company that do have a passion? Well they're not listened to. Pro Team seems to be completely ignored, even when they try to work with the absolute donkey shit that they're given (read: autos, maps, mechanics).

I'd love to see what you have for evidence supporting growth besides 1 tournament that finally met criteria being asked for, for two years. First big tournament held on the East coast and it harkened back to MLG days where it was a multi-game event, not just a Halo event. All I'm saying is that this is going to be inflating your numbers a bit because the experience offers so much more than just a pile of shit game that doesn't have a true LAN experience.

This forum has come to terms with Halo 5's issues and actually have tried to address them and work around them. 343 has literally done little to nothing about it. They changed the settings 1.5 years into the game, arguably so late that it doesn't make a big difference. The population for the game is on life support, particularly for the flagship Xbox exclusive. 

As to your last point, to put it bluntly, our dev support flat out fucking sucks. It's great they host events, it's great that M$ throws cash at Halo, however, neither of these things can change the fact that 343 as a company is absolutely horrendous at their job of running an esports scene. Everyone likes to bag ESL here, but they do a pretty solid job (for the most part) with CS:GO. The majors hosted by ESL supported by Valve are absolutely insane, so you can't truly put all of the blame strictly on ESL. 343 is absolutely atrocious.