CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

That's not what I mean.

That energy comes from high stakes and high stakes come from A LOT of people caring about the outcome. Halo doesn't have that.

You could play the most intense, well played game of ultimate frisbee of all time and have the best, most high quality presentation out there. On lookers that aren't ultimate frisbee fans are still going to be like "meh" because not enough people care about ultimate frisbee for there to be palpable energy and high stakes.

i can see where you're coming from. i tuned into dota for the ability to see 24mil handed out. i only stayed though because of the presentation. i don't understand how that game works, but the newcomer strea, the casting, and the analysis kept me tuned in. my wife generally won't watch esports with me, but she enjoyed the team highlights/interviews and watched without knowing much about the prizing at all because she got drawn into liquid's loser bracket run. it comes from an emotional investment with a team/player/game. production can't make you care about the game. i think that comes with time. but production can draw you in on a personal level and get you invested in a team or player

but it doesnt matter if its halo, cod, dota, superbowl, or world cup. poor production kills the audience while great production will bring them in. fewer people watched south africa's world cup than brazil's and you can bet that a lot of people tuned out in 2010 due to constant vuvuzela's. people tuned out when the superdome lost power in sf v baltimore because a lot of people watch for commercials and halftime show. dota 2 would not have had the viewership it had if it had halo's production issues. hell the last great quality stream we had was fall finals last year and almost 50k watched AR spamfest and optic lose on a reload glitch while datona, the first event with h5's best settings, averaged under 10k till the finals because of shitty production. dreamhack was just as bad with even higher quality gameplay. it wont be overnight, but improve production and the viewership will increase. would denver hit 100k with cod level production? probably not, but 50-60k is not out of the picture for a large spectacle like dreamhack. if that quality is consistant, then more people will continue to turn in.

yes the game needs to be fixed but we know how slow 343 is to do those things and yes halo 6 has to be their best title yet to get more people playing and enjoying halo, but in the short term, quality production can hold us up until we get a new, better game

• Upvote (+1) 4

Sure. I value @@Oriiii 9.02 * 10^35 times more than @@Moses_FPS.

i'm sick of the constant name calling, your dirty underhanded tactics have no place here

IM the UP-REP KING, not you

• Upvote (+1) 7

i can see where you're coming from. i tuned into dota for the ability to see 24mil handed out. i only stayed though because of the presentation. i don't understand how that game works, but the newcomer strea, the casting, and the analysis kept me tuned in. my wife generally won't watch esports with me, but she enjoyed the team highlights/interviews and watched without knowing much about the prizing at all because she got drawn into liquid's loser bracket run. it comes from an emotional investment with a team/player/game. production can't make you care about the game. i think that comes with time. but production can draw you in on a personal level and get you invested in a team or player

but it doesnt matter if its halo, cod, dota, superbowl, or world cup. poor production kills the audience while great production will bring them in. fewer people watched south africa's world cup than brazil's and you can bet that a lot of people tuned out in 2010 due to constant vuvuzela's. people tuned out when the superdome lost power in sf v baltimore because a lot of people watch for commercials and halftime show. dota 2 would not have had the viewership it had if it had halo's production issues. hell the last great quality stream we had was fall finals last year and almost 50k watched AR spamfest and optic lose on a reload glitch while datona, the first event with h5's best settings, averaged under 10k till the finals because of shitty production. dreamhack was just as bad with even higher quality gameplay. it wont be overnight, but improve production and the viewership will increase. would denver hit 100k with cod level production? probably not, but 50-60k is not out of the picture for a large spectacle like dreamhack. if that quality is consistant, then more people will continue to turn in.

yes the game needs to be fixed but we know how slow 343 is to do those things and yes halo 6 has to be their best title yet to get more people playing and enjoying halo, but in the short term, quality production can hold us up until we get a new, better game

I agree with you in a sense.

Though I strongly feel that high production values don't draw people in initially. High production values keep people watching after they're drawn in.

I also think logically speaking, high budgets and high production values generally occur after a product earns it through popularity. Again using the NFL as an example here they didn't decide to try to make the SB popular through production values. They saw something growing on it's own merits and decide to bolster it with insane production values and high quality half time shows. Then the commercials came to them.

Its a snowball effect. That snowball has to start with a product that can grow and sustain itself based on it's own merits first though. Halo currently doesn't have that. So it's pointless to complain about the outer layers of the snowball while the center is a slushy mess.

And yes the slushiest, dirtiest part of that rotten core is SPRINT!

• Upvote (+1) 5

Sports don't really function in the same manner as esports. The entry level to actually playing the game is so, so much lower with a video game then it is with a sport. As far as the NFL goes watching the games is the activity. There are plenty of other pro football leagues that nobody watches. That's why I wanted to narrow it down to just the NFL, not football as a whole.

By narrowing it down to the NFL, specifically the super bowl, you miss the forest for the trees. Actually, the entry level to football isn't higher than a video game. To play it, you go to park or YMCA, get picked up. No purchase neccisary. To spectate it's even easier- turn on tv.

Watching football isn't anymore "the activity" then playing it is. And the same is true for any competitive entertainment. The two go hand In hand.

The Superbowl(and many, many other large spectacles) draw in so many outside viewers because the popularity of the NFL internally hit critical mass. The SB became such a big deal to football fans that non football fans became interested.

My problem with the Super Bowl analogy is that it ignores the reality of the regular week to week investment from fans- many of whom never played. Non-football fans participate every week, whether it be gambling, people engaging in fantasy football with friends, or ladies gauwking over tom Brady's looks. And all of that is all made possible by presentation.

The success of the Super Bowl among non-football fans is the culmination of 17 weeks of the league and its partners giving people a reason to care who otherwise wouldn't.

Halo has to get the "regular season" shit right. That's what allowed CWL to be what it was.

I agree that Halo esports would obviously be in a better place with better presentation. My point is that Halo is never going to get up to the level of what we just saw out of the COD worlds without the game itself growing first. No matter the presentation level. If you counted all COD players playing COD games released in 2015 and on and did the same for Halo, the COD playerbase dominates Halo's. This is an undeniably huge factor in the health of their esports scenes.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. But halo 5 isn't going to stop being halo 5 at this point. As we await a new title launch, HCS should be fostering growth where it realistically can- and that through presentation and formatting.

4 days until the roster lock, who's on liquid tibby

I'm waiting to find out the same thing.

I gotta say, though, in some alternate universes, there were some REALLY FUCKING CRAZY team changes this season.

• Upvote (+1) 1

New Infused - Kimbo, Mose, Respctful, Jimbo

Please don’t break up after one LAN.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Rip pez

I didnt see this team forming tbh. Feels good to have a close team to the old Fabe.

So where are we at with rosters?

Liquid needs one

Luminosity needs one

Rumor is huke is gone so NV may need one. Rumor is probably bullshit though

@@RyaNoob and his team need an org

Has optic played together since atlanta?

Has ronin replaced spartan yet?

Is tapping buttons staying in the US for pro league?

Jesus, is it that bad right now? i haven't tuned in for a couple weeks now, but when i watch Contra's channel, or any other pros, the viewership is absolutely terrible. 50-100 players for the #1 streamer, that's bleak.

I haven't heard really anything on teams, seems pretty bad

By narrowing it down to the NFL, specifically the super bowl, you miss the forest for the trees. Actually, the entry level to football isn't higher than a video game. To play it, you go to park or YMCA, get picked up. No purchase neccisary. To spectate it's even easier- turn on tv.

Watching football isn't anymore "the activity" then playing it is. And the same is true for any competitive entertainment. The two go hand In hand.

My problem with the Super Bowl analogy is that it ignores the reality of the regular week to week investment from fans- many of whom never played. Non-football fans participate every week, whether it be gambling, people engaging in fantasy football with friends, or ladies gauwking over tom Brady's looks. And all of that is all made possible by presentation.

The success of the Super Bowl among non-football fans is the culmination of 17 weeks of the league and its partners giving people a reason to care who otherwise wouldn't.

Halo has to get the "regular season" shit right. That's what allowed CWL to be what it was.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. But halo 5 isn't going to stop being halo 5 at this point. As we await a new title launch, HCS should be fostering growth where it realistically can- and that through presentation and formatting.

I'll try to find the link but I remember reading a study based on the number of people who watched last year's SB who didn't watch a single game before that in the regular season or playoffs. It was a staggeringly high number.