CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Time to bust this out?

cRDCYEA.jpg

Ya. Except that's not true.

Am I on reddit halo?

A few people actually liked reach. That's what you're seeing.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Fighting Games. SFV sold less than 2million but had over 500k watch the EVO finals. Not to mention theres tournaments every week which hit higher numbers easily than Halo tournaments viewership wise.

I was under the impression that fighting games were "tier 2" or "tier 3" esports.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i just want to know why you think sprint is the worst offender out of poor aiming, blank shots, large hitboxes, broken spectator mode, spartan abilities, lack of map/gametype variety, imbalanced weapons, radar, etc. of all things wrong with halo 5, sprint is the least of my concerns as removing it does nothing to help anything else

the day we reminisce about halo 4 is the day i kill myself, get sent to hell, and have to play that game with agl brad

Sprint seperates movement from combat. I feel as though the blending of movement and combat is the core pillar upon which all of that "halo feel" rests upon.

Being able to move at max speed and make all the jumps while being able to simultaneously shoot people is the crux of that acrobatic fun that was integral to halo's success.

Halo with sprint is all about ORS. Move or shoot. Jump or shoot. Halo without sprint is abouts ANDs. Move and shoot. Jump and shoot. It's a small but incredibly important distinction.

If you need more of an explanation there like a 20,000 post thread about it on Waypoint. The largest thread on the entire site.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I was under the impression that fighting games were "tier 2" or "tier 3" esports.

You asked for a big esport with a tiny population and you got one.

The 'tier' is a function of viewership and prize money. Fighting games are lower tier purely because devs don't invest in the competitive scene.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You asked for a big esport with a tiny population and you got one.

The 'tier' is a function of viewership and prize money. Fighting games are lower tier purely because devs don't invest in the competitive scene.

So these games are routinely drawing large viewer numbers?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sprint sucks. But theres a lot of other issues too

Reach sucked competitively until NBNS.

I like to think that Halo 4 doesnt exist.

Anything i forgot to mention?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Big street fighter tourneys are regularly 30-40k viewers
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I would rather have 9.02 x 10^3 Oriii's than 10^-32 Moses'.

UPREP if you agree

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I really don't know enough about fighting games to discuss them.

Let's just say you guys are right and they draw a disproportionately higher viewer count then they do players they're still an exception not the rule.

People generally do not watch interactive activities that they're not involved with themselves unless it's a big, established spectacle.

People that are not football fans will watch the superbowl. The superbowl didn't just explode one Sunday evening because the NFL said hey let's pump some money into making a great production. It was built by the sport itself attracting hordes of regular viewers who just kept hyping it up until the internal popularity hit that critical mass to where the SB became a spectucal that non nfl fans feel they need to watch because it's such a big deal.

IL watch the world cup even though I dont like soccer at all. It's just such a big deal to so many people that those stakes and tension can translate over to me as a non fan.

This is what is happening with lol and cs and COD. Their internal popularity has reached such a point that their events radiate a palpable energy that can be felt by people who aren't fans of those games.

People are fans of spectacles and that love of the spectacul itself can bridge the gap between the interactive activity and people who are not fans of said activity.

You can't just artificially create that radiant energy of a spectacule though. Throwing production money at a product that nobody cares about won't work. You're putting the cart before the horse.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I would rather have 9.02 x 10^3 Oriii's than 10^-32 Moses'.

UPREP if you agree

trying to figure this out

J7fp0L.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

I miss the old NavG.

The didn't try so hard NavG.

The didn't care about rep NavG.

The roast anyone at any time NavG.

The not sure if he's serious or trolling NavG.

I miss the old NavG.

There's nothing to talk about.

Wquz57M.jpg

vs.

2kA0zsB.jpg

giphy.gif

The number is clearly e-32. What's there to not understand?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

There's nothing to talk about.

uhhhhh yeah there is, if we all talk about sprint it will magically go away and then  :weback:

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can we establish some goal posts?

Fighting games sell worse than Halo, and in comparison to Halo, the competitive scenes lack dev investment.

Yet, viewship and participation routinely dwarf Halo's.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can we establish some goal posts?

Fighting games sell worse than Halo, and in comparison to Halo, the competitive scenes lack dev investment.

Yet, viewship and participation routinely dwarf Halo's.

They dwarf halo but are still far, far below the heavy hitters in esports.

They've effectively maximized what you can do with a relatively small user base.

I also feel as though we need to establish our stances here a little more. You're trying to show that the key to halo's esports growth is through dev investment and even production values and not through growing the game's playerbase...by citing a genre that has little to no dev investment?

People generally do not watch interactive activities that they're not involved with themselves unless it's a big, established spectacle.

People that are not football fans will watch the superbowl. The superbowl didn't just explode one Sunday evening because the NFL said hey let's pump some money into making a great production. It was built by the sport itself attracting hordes of regular viewers who just kept hyping it up until the internal popularity hit that critical mass to where the SB became a spectucal that non nfl fans feel they need to watch because it's such a big deal.

IL watch the world cup even though I dont like soccer at all. It's just such a big deal to so many people that those stakes and tension can translate over to me as a non fan.

This is what is happening with lol and cs and COD. Their internal popularity has reached such a point that their events radiate a palpable energy that can be felt by people who aren't fans of those games.

People are fans of spectacles and that love of the spectacul itself can bridge the gap between the interactive activity and people who are not fans of said activity.

You can't just artificially create that radiant energy of a spectacule though. Throwing production money at a product that nobody cares about won't work. You're putting the cart before the horse.

Why are we using the Super Bowl as an analogy though. Why not the sport as a whole? Most people who watch football week in and week out don't play it. Many of them have never played it in their entire lifetime. Many got onboard because someone close to them was onboard.

The NFL and its partners do a number of things to make the presentation entertaining for people who otherwise would have no reason to invest all. a lot of that is due to the explanatory commentary, the storyline building, the statistics, and community outreach.

Obviously, HCS can't operate on that sort of scale, but there are definately lessons to be learned as far as making Halo viewer friendly and broadly appealing - presentation and social media plays a key roles in that, and HCS is laughable in those areas.

They dwarf halo but are still far, far below the heavy hitters in esports.

They've effectively maximized what you can do with a relatively small user base.

I also feel as though we need to establish our stances here a little more. You're trying to show that the key to halo's esports growth is through dev investment and even production values and not through growing the game's playerbase...by citing a genre that has little to no dev investment?

No, I'm trying to dispel the notion that solid presentation isn't worth investing in. Halo 5 is Halo 5, it's not going to become a better game before it gets EOLd. But it can become a better esport with the flip of a few switches and some decent planning.

Sure fighting games are dwarfed by LoL and CSGO, but they also dwarf Halo w/o having Halo sized investments. So how big would Halo5's competitive scene be if it kept its budget But spent more on a better format + presentation?

if Halo 5 maximized what could be done with its user base, the scene would be thriving - despite the game being shitty...

• Upvote (+1) 2

but we have a long history of that energy. we still have it. splyce v optic was insane and intense even with the settings we have. in person that would have been awesome and i would love to know the reactions of people who dont normally watch halo who were there. i can almost guarantee that the energy was infectious. but on stream, it falls flat. improve the stream and you draw in those viewers with that energy. if we couldve heard the crowd during that coli ctf, you would see that we have the energy and passion needed to be a great spectator stream. its the series of small and continual mistakes  that kill us. poor audio, no crowd mics (while they talk about how hyped the crowd is), excessive downtime, great series on periscope, no content designed for emotional attachment. fix the production mistakes and keep it consistent over a few events and watch those viewer counts rise

• Upvote (+1) 1

friendly reminder that amazon gives a 20% discount on games for prime members if you buy 2 weeks before or after launch. also if you preorder, they charge the lowest price between the time of preorder and launch. 

/shill

Does this apply to digital codes?  Physical media has been for losers since 2013...