Joseph

Twitch.tv chats make our community look pathetic

How about this.

Have no chat at all, and stop reffering to it.

giving them more to rage surely would be the best right?

Like I said in my previous post ( which got neg 6ed lol fuck dat) ignore the trolls.

You guys could make 600 videos, write 300pages in this thread and you won't change a whole internet culture of trolling this is just unbelievable anyone would think this is possible.

Just make sure they aren't the loudest voice coming from the community by giving thanks and appreciation to AGL and casters often and everything.

Laying the focus on the trolls is dumb.

Ps @faith I bashed you already before the timwout lol, but yeah that time out had no sense me goofing off with someone I know about the AGL prizes

Like I said in my previous post ( which got neg 6ed lol fuck dat) ignore the trolls.

You guys could make 600 videos, write 300pages in this thread and you won't change a whole internet culture of trolling this is just unbelievable anyone would think this is possible.

Just make sure they aren't the loudest voice coming from the community by giving thanks and appreciation to AGL and casters often and everything.

Ps @faith I bashed you already before the timwout lol, but yeah that time out had no sense me goofing off with someone I know about the AGL prizes

How can they rage when there is no chat?

I only read the chat when im watching ninja stream or some one else. 

I just watch full screen whenever there is an event, just because theres nothing interresting to read :S

The community makes the community look pathetic

Did this seriously get negged?

You guys don't actually think Halos community has ever been "mature", do you? It wasn't ever a fantastic community of competitive players.  They're has always been ass hats and dicks with Halo all the time. 

Halos community has always had a decent amount of immature pricks.  cTs post even further proves that.

Only way to mitigate the issue is to have a subscribers chat.  Make it around $3 and it'll help the TO with money and makes the chat actually readable 

inb4negs

Total Biscuit once referred to twitch chats as "Eye Cancer"

This seems to me like a different problem to the forums, Yes we have always have negativity within the community on various forums. But all the chats on twitch have the same problems as AGL. The ones that have eliminated this are ones that use a subscribers only chat.

You want to try and minimize the damage caused to the part of the audience who is doing nothing wrong and wants to participate;

• Subscriber mode - could work as a form of accountability but you'd have to minimize the pay-wall ($1) to encourage people to participate
  • Facebook Login - a lesser form of accountability but it does require more effort for trolls once they've been banned
  • IRC - coupled with either of the above options, would allow those who aren't willing or simply can't pay an avenue for conversation. From the sounds of those modding the Twitch chat, IRC seems like it would be a lot easier to manage a large volume of traffic. It can be accessed via browser (e.g. Quakenet) as well so mods can post a link in the twitch chat to keep people in the know.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I don't mean to call you stupid, but this comment is.  Have you ever seen the crowds at professional athletics?  Its grown men acting like complete buffoons on a regular basis.  They literally dress up as their favorite athlete (or their team's mascot) create fantasy leagues where they play imaginary football.  The completely barbaric hatred some people have toward rivals makes me sad to see adults behave like such children.  It has nothing to do with the game itself.  In competitions, and even more so when its online, people get way too heated.  Also some people just enjoy being mean.  No one here needs a lesson in how people are heartless towards the famous in areas completely outside of sports, but apparently some do need a reminder.

I don't think the Halo community is particularly bad.  I won't begin some community analysis.  We should just know that stuff like this should be expected, and plans should be made to decrease their occurrences.

Florida State > University of Florida

>.>

• Upvote (+1) 2

I didnt time you out in AGL chat. I t/o'd you in a chat a while back, cant remember whose it was though. Either way idk why you would say that. I try to be helpful and fair to everyone. :)

TimmyJudo.gif

>.>

o.O

Honestly, I thought the Canes were gonna win like 3 games that year. The fact that they won 7 is bloody miracle. 

Stephen Morris was insanely good at the Manning Passing Academy, and considering he'll have 5 returning starters on the o line, and a lot of returning skill players in general (10 returning starters on offense), the Canes will be crazy good on offense. 10 returning starters on the defensive side, which can't be bad news, considering that it was pretty much a freshman d last year lol.

The Canes will beat you this year! :D

lol we're getting off topic XD

I really feel like there is nothing you can do about it. Its not a big enough event to have subscribers only like MLG and it is impossible to monitor everyone. Most people are there to watch the event but some get their entertainment from causing chaos in the chat. I saw it when I first joined on Justin.tv back in 09 and it has gotten way worse over the years. It's how they have fun and enjoy themselves. To be honest they will always be here and there is nothing much we can do :/

• Upvote (+1) 2

Okay, let's say all you hall monitors squeal loud enough to the point where something actually is done about chat. Subs, facebook, whatever. Anyone with a brain could see what would happen next.

Chat traffic would take a huge step back since it's less accessible and not everyone wants their name attached to their chat comments just because. I'm sure at least a few of you here are big proponents of the nothing-to-hide theory, but some people are just more private, even if they have no intention of being difficult with their account. Chat is a big part of the fun for a lot of people out there. It's a way for the people participating to blow off steam, and I wouldn't doubt that there are people out there that watch and just get a laugh out of the chaos, even if they're not part of it. If they feel like the powers that be are limiting their ability to do these things, they might not care enough about Halo to continue watching. So viewers would likely take a tumble, at a time when Halo can't really afford it. The end result being everyone, including a lot of the people sweating over the offensive chat right in here, coming right back and complaining about how boring chat has become, and how that takes away from the experience, and why the hell the powers that be took away all the fun.

This was addressed already but anyone who thinks intelligent discussion will take place in chat, or that chat is even a conducive environment for it, is a dummy. What are you left with if you successfully oust your (subjective) definition of what's offensive? Empty bullshit like 'nice shots by Ninja' or 'nice strafe by Roy' or 'OMFFGGGGG!!!!1111' and whatever else. Sounds real entertaining.

Like I said, all these *****ing about the community threads are a bunch of randoms (and a couple of holier-than-thou figureheads, often self-appointed) pretending to be upstanding citizens because they're desperate for the opportunity to actually influence something, whatever that may be. This thread in particular will die soon and another one will be along in a few weeks to take its place. And another one after that. Because as long as there's people to bitch about and call immature, by golly you internet model citizens will be all over it. I'm sorry that Goldenboy had to see all the racist crap directed towards him, but a) why is he looking at chat while he's casting, what possible benefit could that serve, B) he should know the internet and the FPS community in general enough to know the fuckwad theory and the fact that what was said in there is not the majority opinion of him, and c) he needs to get thicker skin, if random troll comments on the internet rattle him that much.

But what the hell. Have your PC circlejerk, guys. If you're successful with it, I gave you a free peek into the future.

Halo is a shooter and like all shooters, it attracts a younger crowd. Halo will never have the mature community Starcraft has because of the genre, not the game. There's no stopping it.

Yes i do agree that Halo as a whole will attract younger players, and also that of how 343 is catering to the Recreational part of Halo in a sense. But i disagree that it can't be stopped. People just need to respect what AGL is doing and who cares who is sponsoring them honestly just mute the stream. If and when AGL gets bigger we will see the twitch chats start to clear up.

Subscriber only and drop the price to 2 bucks.  I'd possibly do it.

I hate how its monthly though. Thats what bugs me. 

Did he really get banned for saying this?

Holy balls

He probably had previous warnings and said other stuff apart from just that.

There was no Mod options that weekend. close the threrad now

Still doesn't change that our community immature.

I say do the subscribe thing like the FGC's do. I doubt people are gonna pay to just troll, maybe they do, but oh well, at least the stream is money right?

Did he really get banned for saying this?

Holy balls

Was a perm banned members 2nd account, nothing to do with posts.

Twitch.TV chat is the same for every game, I don't get the problem here. If you don't like the trolls, don't entertain them by bitching about it and making a video on it. lol