Joseph

Twitch.tv chats make our community look pathetic

I repeat: the problem is the people, but the solution isn't to try and fix the people. We all know that won't happen. The solution is to moderate the people better through more options given from twitch itself, such as the ability to block not just single words, but entire posts that have certain words in them (would help with spam-bots, too). If there were an optional t/o with an adjustable time on that block, it would be even better.

Who are all the people on this site then?

I can tell you right now the majority did not come from Halo 4's excellent competitive MP, even Reach had new people join the community(but way many more left). I have not seen anyone post here or on THC(went it was up) that they started with Halo 4.

I can tell you right now the majority did not come from Halo 4's excellent competitive MP, even Reach had new people join the community(but way many more left). I have not seen anyone post here or on THC(went it was up) that they started with Halo 4.

I didn't say anything about where we all came from :) Can't say there isn't a community. If there weren't, you amd I wouldn't be talking right now. It's a small community but a community nonetheless.

There is a "Subscribers only" mode for the chat - but AGL just got the subscriber feature - so they didnt really have any subs yet.. So putting that feature on basically disabled the chat.

Fighting game tournaments do this all the time. Granted the viewers are much higher, but for the most part it does halt a lot of the hate. Maybe if AGL makes it $3 or so people would get it

Tsquared's wigger ass vs Gandhi on the forums were hysterical. But really, this shit has been going on for years, it's nothing new.

I don't know if anyone has said this, but here's a GoldenBoy quote from talking to him

"I've never gotten more racist comments from any other tournament I've ever casted than I have this weekend. Makes me think if I even want to come back and do another one."

One of the best casters out there and we actually have the privilege to have him cast our game.

It is disgusting and makes me sick to my face that people would treat him like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It is disgusting and makes me sick to my face that people would treat him like that.

The bullying and shit like that (racist comments, etc) seem to have gotten worse since my childhood (late 80's-very early 90s). Maybe I had a sheltered childhood but the stuff I see these days in the news that end in young children taking their own lives is just depressing. What could ever possess someone to make them spew hateful comments to someone they don't even know or have ever met. Sure you can say because the Internet is anonymous, but again it's not like you know them personally and have reason to dislike them. I fear for the future to be honest and I'm speaking outside of video games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Twitch chat does not compare to the MLG forums back in the day.

That's mostly true, but only because chats are a different animal and mostly unmoderated. What you saw on the MLG forums was content after a team of very active mods got to it. If you saw the stuff we deleted from OTofOT and some of the predictions threads, particularly the AM threads, you'd understand why I say this.

I don't know if anyone has said this, but here's a GoldenBoy quote from talking to him

"I've never gotten more racist comments from any other tournament I've ever casted than I have this weekend. Makes me think if I even want to come back and do another one."

One of the best casters out there and we actually have the privilege to have him cast our game.

That is deeply saddening. The racism in our community just refuses to go away. It's an absolute disease and it really makes me upset.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Chaos Theory made some salient points.

But as someone else mentioned in the thread: there is a difference between acting out in the stream's chat and the forums.  That is what I think anyway.  It is not as ostensible if it is contained within a thread.  But when it is rolling right beside the stream it's just a big dick in the face.

Regardless of the problems twitch has been having lately, a majority of mods, but certainly not all, don't even do their job. They troll with the rest of them. I remember on the old predictions threads (the only one I really remember is Cyren) the mods would just post a picture of a gigantic padlock and lock the thread for a couple of days.

off topic: Remember sticky spree?  :lol:

Why don't we start an IRC (do people still use that), or some other similar chat where can actually have civilised discussion during the games? We'll set up some good mods.. and if anyone acts up they can be IP banned.

There is honestly no way to change the twitch chat until twitch introduce IP banning. There is always going to be some weirdo who keeps making new accounts so he can spam and troll. 

IP banning needs to be introduced to twitch, and we need some good, dedicated mods.

If twitch made their account creation process more than a fake email address, username and password it wouldn't stop all the people who got banned from making new accounts but it would cut down on it somewhat. Im still amazed by how easy they keep it, every site on the internet seems to have at least a email link verification.  Granted most of the problematic people probably have numerous accounts already. 

Most of the time someone gets banned they come back with a username *insert mods name here*_blows_dick or something dumb. It's like clockwork.

The racism is what got me tho.. I don't know why people are hellbent on driving goldenboy away from halo. He brings a lot of energy and helped out a lot with casting on sunday when Maven got sick.

I know people who have been IP banned from twitch but you pretty much have to stream something you shouldn't or talk shit directly to twitch staff. So I dont see that happening any time soon.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Twitch chats for events should be heavily moderated/slow mode or there needs to be Facebook login. People should be watching the stream not making themselves look like idiots in the chat.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Kinda what happens when a games community implodes. Everyone worth their salt leaves, leaving the fuckwads around.

Woah, woah, woah! I'd like to think i'm not a fuckwad. 

It's because it makes the rest of us look bad. Think of it this way: you're a prospective investor in eSports (MLG, for instance). You tune into the stream just to see hate and racism spewed left and right from the "community." Then you see the players yelling at each other constantly. (I'm fine with trash talk, but some of it gets a bit out of control. At least MLG moderated it a little bit.).

If you're this prospective investor, would you want your name attached to that "product"? I sure as fuck wouldn't.

exactly, if they invested they'd "GET FUCKING RAPED" for doing so.

Halo is a shooter and like all shooters, it attracts a younger crowd. Halo will never have the mature community Starcraft has because of the genre, not the game. There's no stopping it.

I don't understand how people can get so defended by comments by people you will never meet.

It's the Internet and the more we talk about the more they are going to do it. They do it just so they can get a reaction and guess what? They got a reaction.

Just mod the chat and remove the chat from the casters booth. It shouldn't even be there in the first place.

Halo is a shooter and like all shooters, it attracts a younger crowd. Halo will never have the mature community Starcraft has because of the genre, not the game. There's no stopping it.

Yeah people like Destiny were REALLY mature to the Halo community at that Red Bull LAN where he insulted our game and our community. Halo community was being nice to the Starcraft community despite them coming in on our turf, and they treated us with their typical elitism BS. Made me not want to get into that game.

I always try to sit in the chat to answer questions people may have about what is going on, what will, or what has happened during most AGL events. With that being said, AGL 8's chat was horrible. One of the worst chats I have ever seen on Twitch. So many undeserved hateful comments towards G4C, racist comments towards Goldenboy, hate towards AGL and Brad, bashing CoD viewers, 343ayame and Ghost hate, and fake accounts disrespecting everyone. It was pathetic. How can we hope to grow as a community when so many members who are already in our community are horrible and disrespectful? I won't  blame G4C if they stopped sponsoring AGL after all the harassment. 

I was periodically comparing how many mods were watching to how many mods were actually moderating these last 2 AGL events. At almost anytime during the events, there were 7-15+ mods watching while usually only 3-5 mods were doing their job. At AGL 8, Faith, Saucey, and Giggle Monster were the only mods really watching the chat. You shouldn't have mod if all you do is watch the stream and ignore the chat imo. Hopefully AGL will get popular enough to go sub mode only, but that still seems pretty far away. Facebook connect is going to be a must have for AGL 9 and on.

lol starcraft 2 chats are definitely not "mature" at all.  I don't look at Halo chats anymore but SC2 chats are quite awful as well.

honestly NO competitive games community is very mature when it comes to chats.  FGC, Halo, SC2, LoL, etc are all quite bad.  

I don't mean to call you stupid, but this comment is.  Have you ever seen the crowds at professional athletics?  Its grown men acting like complete buffoons on a regular basis.  They literally dress up as their favorite athlete (or their team's mascot) create fantasy leagues where they play imaginary football.  The completely barbaric hatred some people have toward rivals makes me sad to see adults behave like such children.  It has nothing to do with the game itself.  In competitions, and even more so when its online, people get way too heated.  Also some people just enjoy being mean.  No one here needs a lesson in how people are heartless towards the famous in areas completely outside of sports, but apparently some do need a reminder.

I don't think the Halo community is particularly bad.  I won't begin some community analysis.  We should just know that stuff like this should be expected, and plans should be made to decrease their occurrences.

• Upvote (+1) 5

honestly all twtich chats are bad.

however for the few times i actually watched the stream and read the chat it was extra bad this past weekend. people were just not getting banned.

No mod options.  That about sums it up.  Its kind of good news in a way.  Lets us know that the moderators were not okay with the dumb trolls.  This shouldn't happen again.