Joseph

Twitch.tv chats make our community look pathetic

1. Yes

2. Yes, Especially MFaith, bad mod.

3. Well I would stop watching if it becomes sub only. Hate this method of MLG, I will never sub to a stream that only streams monthly.

To the video, sorry Saucey but I think you wasted your breath, everyone knows this, it isnt our community only and it isn't only twitch chat. You just gave this more attention that it deserves.

I see year long community persons and pro players still not being able to ignore trolls, it is awkward as fuck.

Don't be so salty bc I timed you out one time for being a complete asshat and prime example of what saucey is talking about in this video.

I was one of the very few mods that was actually answering questions and dealing with all the idiots.

The sign in with facebook option would be good imo. I doubt the trolls would go that far out of their way just to get attention for a split second. I personally don't think the sub only thing would work. I doubt there will be that many people that sub to the AGL channel. I know at one point saucey put it on sub only and then took it off a minute later saying release the kraken lol. Chat gets pissed when ya do that :/

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I hope a facebook account isn't required.  I don't even have one lol.  If the mods were down all weekend than this event will have been an anomaly.  So we don't need to worry too much about this in the future.  Subscriber mode only would help a little bit I guess.

What is all this religion talk about though lol.  I'm an atheist, but I highly appreciate G4C sponsoring the tournament, and I am amused at the Christian dude in this thread acting like he is in ancient Rome (no one is persecuting you brah).

I honestly don't think that a 2 minute slow mode is the solution. I would love a really cheap subscriber mode ($1/mo?), but I'm not going to pay $5 per month for one tournament a month.

Honestly the problem isn't even the people (because you can't fix them). The problem is Twitch's options. You can block words and links, right? Why not have a Twitch setting where you can block whole posts (maybe an optional t/o for an adjustable amount of time) if they have a certain word in them? (Walrus/penis/swear words/etc). Combine that with a Facebook login, and you're golden.

I was going to suggest a $1 subscription, rather than a $5. Helps out AGL with some support for costs etc, Eliminates trolls and pointless abuse. Yes some of them would be willing to spend some money, but i think it will eliminate the majority of the abuse.

• Upvote (+1) 1

well wish there was a better way to address the issue better. I know IGN has started their campaign against the trolls and negativity on their comments section, making w/e topic they make public more relevant to what ppl are saying about it than just stupid comments.

O noez, negativity! Can't allow that!

Don't know what this says about my maturity, but I was chuckling at some of the stuff. Like others have said, it's just a bunch of teenagers spouting off in a chat room. It's harmless though. What you holier-than-thou PC people don't realize is that words only have the power that you assign to them. If any of that bullshit honestly offended you then you're the one with the issue. The fuckwad theory is not news, and any reasonable person can accept it and see past it.

• Downvote (-1) 2

O noez, negativity! Can't allow that!

Don't know what this says about my maturity, but I was chuckling at some of the stuff. Like others have said, it's just a bunch of teenagers spouting off in a chat room. It's harmless though. What you holier-than-thou PC people don't realize is that words only have the power that you assign to them. If any of that bullshit honestly offended you then you're the one with the issue. The fuckwad theory is not news, and any reasonable person can accept it and see past it.

We can't have the ridiculous quantity of negativity we have. We want Halo to grow. We want people to play in huge tournaments again! We want to see a professional Halo tournament get more viewers than just 8k. Just because those people exist doesn't mean we can't limit it to improve our image and get people back into the scene.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The community makes the community look pathetic

Not sure why this guy is getting neg'd. It's the truth.

The Halo community has been a joke since inception. You guys honestly think it used to be better than this? Maybe it's cause I moderated the MLG forums for 8 years but VERY, VERY little has changed. At the start of Halo 2 there were just as many assclowns, except they were in the pro bracket back then. This community has always been terribly immature. The face of Halo was T2 for years, and it was a guy who got drunk and yelled RAAAAAAAAAAAPE constantly at events. If I could go back in time and show you guys what DeRsKy_HoPPiN's posts were like in 2006/7 before they were deleted from MLG you would crack up.  Same goes for Maniac, Clutch, Demon D...  I could go on. The noobs on the forums have never been better, never been worse.

Twitch is bad, but if twitch existed years ago it would have been just as bad. I don't know why this is suddenly a big deal or surprising to ANYONE.

• Upvote (+1) 8

We can't have the ridiculous quantity of negativity we have. We want Halo to grow. We want people to play in huge tournaments again! We want to see a professional Halo tournament get more viewers than just 8k. Just because those people exist doesn't mean we can't limit it to improve our image and get people back into the scene.

If a good competitive metagame is put together, there will be less negativity. If garbage like sprint, AAs, autos, all rifles etc is kept for god knows what reason, then the negativity is deserved because the game is not as good as it otherwise could be.

Anyone who makes it their mission to oust negativity from their community is a fucking fool. No surprise that those dolts at IGN are the ones trying to do it.

The Halo community has been a joke since inception. You guys honestly think it used to be better than this? Maybe it's cause I moderated the MLG forums for 8 years but VERY, VERY little has changed. At the start of Halo 2 there were just as many assclowns, except they were in the pro bracket back then. This community has always been terribly immature. The face of Halo was T2 for years, and it was a guy who got drunk and yelled RAAAAAAAAAAAPE constantly at events. If I could go back in time and show you guys what DeRsKy_HoPPiN's posts were like in 2006/7 before they were deleted from MLG you would crack up.  Same goes for Maniac, Clutch, Demon D...  I could go on. The noobs on the forums have never been better, never been worse.

Twitch is bad, but if twitch existed years ago it would have been just as bad. I don't know why this is suddenly a big deal or surprising to ANYONE.

Wasnt really surprising, anonymity on the internet gives people free reign to say whatever they want - I just had never seen it THAT bad before.. it was on a whole different level this past event

• Upvote (+1) 1

You said it, this is why I always roll my eyes and laugh whenever these 'fix teh communiteh!!' threads pop up. I see them at least once a month on various forums going back to the MLG forums. It's four pages of random people pretending to be upstanding citizens before they vanish until the next time.

Seems like Saucey's the alpha of this place, or one of them. When he says something's bad and makes a youtube video about it, the overwhelming majority of the community races to be the first one to knobslob him and regurgitate his stuff wherever else. Please ignore the fact that I just did this exact same thing to you though, CT.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wasnt really surprising, anonymity on the internet gives people free reign to say whatever they want - I just had never seen it THAT bad before.. it was on a whole different level this past event

THAT bad? That was moderate at best.

Were you ever on the Bungie forums around Halo 3-Halo Reach?

That was something.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The behaviour of the chat is quite largely down to the individuals. There isn't much you can do about that. Some people will just be trolls and act like utter fuckin *******. Sadly, we are blighted with a shockingly large number of these people.

The only thing that can be done is better role models within the community. Let's be real, you could make a Pro team consisted purely of trolls. That Facebook connect for the chat being a requirement (Anonymity gone).

There is also the element of that, at the end of the day, there will always be hilariously immature behaviour, it just cant be avoided sometimes. (#Skydiving)

1. In response to the video, which speaks about people bashing G4C - hence the reply to that topic.

2. Our country is the one that we are speaking about within these forums and the majority of competitive Halo players. Also the recent tournament took place in our country.  If we were speaking of a global issue, then I would have tailored my comment in a global way.

3.  America actually is the country that is furthest away from God right now.  Taking God out of schools, pledge of allegiance, work place, even from a political stance.  This can easily be put into a google search if you are not tracking how our country has slowly erased God from its culture since the inception of the colonial states. (again referencing "christianity" because that is what was mentioned in the video)

4.  This is happening in this thread due to the video, where it mentions the topic clearly, not sure how else to put it.

Apologies if the previous reply I made somehow offended you

I don't know if you mean something different, but America, compared to the dozens of other secular countries, is probably the most intertwined with religion. It certainly is one of, if not the most, religious of the first world countries in the world. Over 70% of the country identifies as Christian (source). 

It is definitely a fact that America, and the world as a whole, is growing more secular, but, once again, America is still a very dominantly religious country.

But that's besides the fact. The problem I, and I believe @Capitalist/others, have with your previous post, is that this forum is about Halo, and we want like to keep it that way. Any debates/arguments about the right or wrong of being religious is frown upon, and would generally be detrimental to the livelihood/upkeep of civility in these forums.

Here's what you said: "In regards to the religious topic - not something that will change, ever.  In fact it will only get worse. 

Our country in general is increasingly more and more anti God.

Its sad, but nothing that can be done."

Your diction, along with your reaction that secularism is sad, shows a voicing of a religious opinion. More importantly, it broaches a topic of discussion that nobody wants to have on these forums. You are entitled to your beliefs, nobody is trying to take that away from you. We just don't want you, or anyone else, to be expressing religious opinions here, because this is definitely not the right place for that, and you would only be inviting further incongruous debate and enticing hate from the trolls. I hope you understand.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This problem is not exclusive to Halo, or even games.

If there's a real time chat room that's popular, this stuff happens. Period. No need to ponder deeply about it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

LOL! at you guys expecting a bunch of 16 year old prepubescent boys  to act mature...

Why would they change the way they act when anonymity behind a computer screen will always protect them. There will always be trolls, e-thugs. etc. 

Stop making videos/talking about it (i.e. feeding the trolls) and just ignore them. You're never going to change how these kids act, especially when they idolize a bunch of immature 'Pro Players' anyways. 

Funny stuff... 

Haha this. Within the trollery I actually think Twitch kids are hillarious. Rather than commenting on the game, they focus on Suddoth 2 hitting on a girl or sth in the background. The more troll the better.

I mean: Who the fuck expects thoughtful comments on a chat "stream" where, with 1000+ viewers, you have a split second to be able to read what anyone is saying. And NOONE will read a long paragraph. So other than a quick "Ambush up 3- 0" or "Snipedown has good map movement" - type comment do you expect to deem it "mature"? There isnt much room. If you want mature, thoughtful comments, go to a forum for example. Not a twitch chat. I for one like it the way it is. More "Dersky on dat addy" comments :D !

• Upvote (+1) 2

I thought the way the twitch chatters responded to the G4C thing was pathetic.  Why would anyone watching that stream want to support Halo after seeing how disrespectful and ungrateful those people are towards sponsors?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The Halo situation is very different than what you would expect with other businesses. On one hand, if I were a sponsor, all that would matter to me would be the economics of the situation, aka can I make money/get adequate publicity. I imagine that's how it is for ASTRO, the energy drinks, and the controller places. They probably don't give a fuck about how immature 16 years olds are, as long as they buy their shit. But for G4C, they're a different business, just looking for a support base, and helping out probably less for a profit. So for that much hate to be hurled at them, it probably is risking a chance for them to pull out as a sponsor. Although, they're just looking for Christian kids to join, and Christian kids aren't the ones that are trolling, so eh, hard to say there. But for Goldenboy, he's doing this pro bono, so that's where the hate really hurts. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The chat appears to be unmoderated. Perhaps if they had about 10 people doing it, it would not be quite as gross.

They have mods. The only downside is that mods for Twitch have been having some problems lately preventing them easy access to banning/timing people out. They have to manually type out the command and username which makes things hard when people are constantly typing.

I thought the way the twitch chatters responded to the G4C thing was pathetic.  Why would anyone watching that stream want to support Halo after seeing how disrespectful and ungrateful those people are towards sponsors?

The G4C trolling was completely classless and mind blowingly embarrassing for us as a community.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I wouldn't judge the COD community based on the 9-14 year olds you play in matchmaking, so why would anyone judge the Halo community by a twitch chat?

Because we have no community to judge. >.>

Because we have no community to judge. >.>

Who are all the people on this site then?
  • Upvote (+1) 2