Joseph

Twitch.tv chats make our community look pathetic

It's because it makes the rest of us look bad. Think of it this way: you're a prospective investor in eSports (MLG, for instance). You tune into the stream just to see hate and racism spewed left and right from the "community." Then you see the players yelling at each other constantly. (I'm fine with trash talk, but some of it gets a bit out of control. At least MLG moderated it a little bit.).

If you're this prospective investor, would you want your name attached to that "product"? I sure as fuck wouldn't.

I'm strictly talking about the chat, I agree the players could work on not saying GET FUCKIN RAPED IDIOT with 8k people watching, but that's not what this post is about.

This is an issue that has grown from the inception of competitive gaming.  

Sadly, the goal of dumbing down Halo and catering to a younger and more impressionable audience has worked.

Couple that with the the lack of maturity and glorification of certain players - and you have a recipe for hatred.

In regards to the religious topic - not something that will change, ever.  In fact it will only get worse. 

Our country in general is increasingly more and more anti God.

Its sad, but nothing that can be done.   

Personally, I would rather focus on getting a Halo game that does not suck, enjoy playing it and growing the community. 

7/10 for making me reply but

1. why are you posting that here what does that have to do with anything

2. our country? implying there's only one country in the world.

3. America is the farthest thing from anti god I can imagine.

4.why is this happening in this thread

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Damn it, meant to up vote... Stupid ipad. My bad...

Please tell me you never actually said "get dangled" to someone. ;[

Haha no I never have, teammates have though (in pickup games). When I was old enough to play competitive hockey it was still referred to as a deke. I usually only trash talk on faceoffs following goals. We played a team from 8 hours away and after being up 9-1 i lined up and asked the LW "so did you guys drive down this morning, or last night?" answer "fuck you" lol

I also filled in for a missing player once, and I shit you not their d-man who looked like he was trying to grow a Lanny McDonald stache tried to fight me. Easier to skate away when you are 20 years younger than a guy and half as drunk.

Trash talking from the pros rarely ever offends me or makes me ashamed.  The very first AGL of H4 was the one where Ambush was mercilessly trash talking.  I thought that was overboard, but not terribly so.  I actually like the trash talking.

The hatred of goldenboy for no reason other than he is new to the game and is a known CoD caster was stupid as hell, honestly if I was him I wouldn't want to go back to AGL just because of how the chat was treating him. The dude seems chill why not allow him to learn the game more as he casts, he brings a lot of hype.

The people from G4C put out a ton of money and all they ask is for a commercial to be played but that is too much to ask for the twitch chat apparently, forget the fact you are watching a FFA because they (G4C) put up the money for it and got 3-4 teams out there for you to watch. I am not religious but I can spend 30 seconds watching something without ranting and raving about it.

Also what the hell is with people copy and pasting ascii art and that stupid walrus thing as soon as one person does it.. It becomes an epidemic once it gets posted once.

The chat needed to be on subscriber mode anyways, I dont know if AGL gets any revenue from that but if they do and they did not put it on they need to re-evaluate themselves cause they lost out on money and keeping the chat somewhat peaceful.

Edit: twitch also needs to step up their account creation stuff with at least an e-mail verification, the fact a banned person can make a new account in like 5 seconds is stupid.

I think they should just make it subscriber only mode all the time. If people want to ask questions, everyone has twitter or this forum. This forum probably being the better option as sometimes it's hard to trawl through twitter looking for serious questions.

Also on the note of Twitch chat, not really something that is pathetic but when a caster says something like "press 1 for ambush or 2 for TEC"...it really doesn't help. They are going to see 5k people spamming 1 or 2. I think a good idea is before each game just make a simple poll and post it in chat/tweet it out if they really want to know what the people are thinking.

Its the moderators that get me.  They did NOTHING.

No matter what community you attend will have trolls, I mean, its just science.  But some of the flaming was getting so bad I couldn't understand what was keeping the mods from banning a lot of stuff.  I don't know how much SQ you guys watched but the hate on Best Man was unreal.  He isn't even that big.  Seriously, it seemed as if no one but Naded and Ambush has fans.  The Ninja haters outweigh the fans, Lethul is talked about as a junkie, Goofy is a screeching terrorist, everyone on SQ is terrible at the game.  All that stuff is absurd, yet it was so frequently repeated.

It was not completely bad.  I love it when a sick play happens and the chat just erupts.  But it really does seem like it is usually attacks more than praise when a pro is talked about.

ps: they won the game still

It's like time-out for grown-ass men. Part of me loves this and would love to see a montage of people just having to put their controllers down.

Slow mode

BETTER mods. Stop giving Mods to ppl that act like groupies. Give it to ppl that actually want to do the job.

Harsher punishments for rude/troll behaviour

= Problem solved

• Upvote (+1) 2

Better mods is part of the solution.  But from an administrative point of view Twitch really needs to provide better tools.  A nice set of pre-canned filters and custom dictionaries that streamers could apply to a custom filter would be a big step in the right direction.  Similar to options that are available on spam filters that are placed in front of email servers.  They could also build in some reputation logic to that as well.  So over a short period of time if your comments are filtered out your reputation score would fall beneath a threshold and your alias on the chat is blacklisted.  Sure there are ways around that, proxies etc. But at least it would be a hindrance to the bad kids.  

1. In response to the video, which speaks about people bashing G4C - hence the reply to that topic.

2. Our country is the one that we are speaking about within these forums and the majority of competitive Halo players. Also the recent tournament took place in our country.  If we were speaking of a global issue, then I would have tailored my comment in a global way.

3.  America actually is the country that is furthest away from God right now.  Taking God out of schools, pledge of allegiance, work place, even from a political stance.  This can easily be put into a google search if you are not tracking how our country has slowly erased God from its culture since the inception of the colonial states. (again referencing "christianity" because that is what was mentioned in the video)

4.  This is happening in this thread due to the video, where it mentions the topic clearly, not sure how else to put it.

Apologies if the previous reply I made somehow offended you

What does MLG do to limit the spam on twitch chats in there events?  I remember people had an mlg icon only typed in, and I think you had to sign in into your facebook account through twitch to be able to chat...

I don't think ArenaGaming cares though, if they would they would have said something about it or even attempted to find a solution.  

Can't you disable the chat feature if you're the broadcaster? If so, why not do that if the Twitch chat is really that bad.

I think you had to sign in into your facebook account through twitch to be able to chat...

yea, that sign in through facebook feature should be used.

It is like this in every community, not just halo. Twitch chats are for people to have fun in, and with over 500 people, and it not on slow mode, it is impossible to have an intelligent conversation on anything, therefore, people have fun.

The way to solve it is, if what I heard is true, is to force people to login with Facebook that way they have a harder time creating new accounts so banning them actually does something.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Slow mode
BETTER mods. Stop giving Mods to ppl that act like groupies. Give it to ppl that actually want to do the job.
Harsher punishments for rude/troll behaviour

= Problem solved

Better mods? TwitchTV mod options were down all weekend.

Easiest way to solve it is sub mode.

It is like this in every community, not just halo. Twitch chats are for people to have fun in, and with over 500 people, and it not on slow mode, it is impossible to have an intelligent conversation on anything, therefore, people have fun.

The way to solve it is, if what I heard is true, is to force people to login with Facebook that way they have a harder time creating new accounts so banning them actually does something.

I wouldn't mind this. Or possibly turning on Slow Mode at times to calm the chat down. I don't know how many people are willing to pay $5 just to chat so subscriber mode might be out of the picture.

Better mods? TwitchTV mod options were down all weekend.

Easiest way to solve it is sub mode.

The only problem I see with mods is that some of the mods are the players playing at the events. I don't know, it just bothers me a bit seeing that 

What does MLG do to limit the spam on twitch chats in there events?  I remember people had an mlg icon only typed in, and I think you had to sign in into your facebook account through twitch to be able to chat...

I don't think ArenaGaming cares though, if they would they would have said something about it or even attempted to find a solution.  

They have a subscription system available to them. And then make the chat subs only. Saw the same thing being used for one of the League of Legends events on the weekend also included in the sub fee was 720P and 1080P viewing.

This eliminates the problem of the trolls. But the issue with halo is will be still have the same or more viewers if this was used for the next event. AGL has the subscription option available to them and i think it was $5.99, but it was not required to view for 1080p.

I honestly don't think that a 2 minute slow mode is the solution. I would love a really cheap subscriber mode ($1/mo?), but I'm not going to pay $5 per month for one tournament a month.

Honestly the problem isn't even the people (because you can't fix them). The problem is Twitch's options. You can block words and links, right? Why not have a Twitch setting where you can block whole posts (maybe an optional t/o for an adjustable amount of time) if they have a certain word in them? (Walrus/penis/swear words/etc). Combine that with a Facebook login, and you're golden.