Joseph

Twitch.tv chats make our community look pathetic

Hopefully Twitch fixes the whole mod issue soon. Even so, it's still pretty gross how shitty we act as a community in-stream. I watch a lot of PC esports too and they seem like a fucking upper-class suburbia compared to our cesspool of an urban neighborhood we call our stream chats. It's like Youtube x 25 + cocaine.

None of it's even the least bit funny. It's mostly things that you'd find on a 1998 AOL chat room type humor.

I honestly watched AGL8 on Xbox except for 1 series. Why?
Because I hate the Twitch chat, they are awful... I can't stand them.

Excellent video Saucey.

-Alias

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its a bunch of pre-adolescent children and some insecure teenagers seeking attention, and unfortunately most of them find they get more attention as a troll then as a properly contributing member. Real shame.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I also saw it and already responded on twitter, but I have a lot more space to flesh out what is going on and why it needs to stop. So I'm going to do that.

A twitch chat is something similair to a WWE arena. The crowd is completely nuts, screaming their heads out over nothing, and ultimately have total control. They don't even like what their watching and they still scream over the match. That's my best analogy to a twitch chat. The best way to try and counter this is a good ratio of mods per veiwer and actual attempted control on the situation. I was watching during the G4C segment not because I am even an ounce christian, but because I was appauled by the chat and what was happening during it.  The mods said a few times to be respectful and if you don't like it come back at one, but from the 15 minute period I was there I saw no timeouts, putting the room in slow mode of anything of that sort.

I've seen chats with 5,000 people and be completely clean, and I've seen chats with 1,000 people that are complete and utter hell (vise versa, just making a point)

Twitch chats will only be as toxic as we as a community and people as mods and leaders let it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's too easy and fast to make new twitch accounts when somebody gets banned. That plus being anonymous makes people act completely ********.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Indeed they are pathetic. I don't think many of those people reside around here though. They strike me as totally ill informed moronic apes that haven't touched a forum where Halo is actually discussed somewhat intelligently.

The community makes the community look pathetic

Kinda what happens when a games community implodes. Everyone worth their salt leaves, leaving the fuckwads around.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Kinda what happens when a games community implodes. Everyone worth their salt leaves, leaving the fuckwads around.

pretty much

4fc.jpg

^

It's reactionary; doesn't matter if it is someones race, religion, appearance e.t.c. it's going to get brought up because that's the nature of the beast. The only real way to stop it is to remove part of the equation but we're not really in the position to be doing that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not just the Halo community, it is the Internet as a whole.

The Penny Arcade comic Ninjafaces posted pretty much sums it up.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Its just kids man. Im sure its like this in the CoD community too. It has nothing to do with Halo, just the demographic of console gaming. I never understood why Sundance and Clap always let the hateful tweets from like 5% of the community get to them. Its to be expected.

They dont even watch, they just compete with each other to see who can say the most hateful thing or funniest troll.

I feel like people try to make a name for themselves in Twitch chats rather than the game. If they can be seen making the funniest trolls in a pros chat, or talking the most crap to a pro/other members, it makes them feel like "someone" in the community since they cant be in the actual game. And like others have said, its too easy to make new accounts and the whole anonymous thing is just a recipe for all of this.

It doesn't help people like Lethul fuel this some times. I love Lethul, but it gets annoying after a while.

Pretty much nailed it.

I'd also venture to say that it probably doesn't help that one of the top pros on the now second place team prides himself on how much of a troll he is. Just my two cents though. Imitation is the finest form of flattery, after all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There has to be a better way in handling the twitch chats. Like maybe Subcribers or something related like how it is in MLG twitch chats should be the only ones able to type and less spam that way. Like if we were gonna do a poll in twitch chat, might as well just have one of the mods link the question on straw polls voting one or the other. At least that would show organization and not whole of spam n bs from trolls.

It's too easy and fast to make new twitch accounts when somebody gets banned. That plus being anonymous makes people act completely ********.

Agreed!! New members should have to wait 24 hours before they can take part in chat discussions.

There has to be a better way in handling the twitch chats. Like maybe Subcribers or something related like how it is in MLG twitch chats should be the only ones able to type and less spam that way. Like if we were gonna do a poll in twitch chat, might as well just have one of the mods link the question on straw polls voting one or the other. At least that would show organization and not whole of spam n bs from trolls.

There is a "Subscribers only" mode for the chat - but AGL just got the subscriber feature - so they didnt really have any subs yet.. So putting that feature on basically disabled the chat.

Isn't this what they want? I'm not really sure why we're letting half ass trolls make this big of a deal... Goldenboy upset about it, this video, this post. All of this attention to the trolls, which is exactly what they want...

I don't know I just feel like we're letting these idiots get too under our skin.

#TheIgnoreButton

• Upvote (+1) 2

1. The moderating needs to be way more strict. Any comments that are hateful in any way need to be timed out.

2. More mods, who are respected members of the community. Some of the AGL mods are known trolls on Twitch.

3. Facebook connect and/or Subscribers only mode needs to be used. Contrary to popular belief, subs only mode rarely makes people stop watching the stream.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Isn't this what they want? I'm not really sure why we're letting half ass trolls make this big of a deal... Goldenboy upset about it, this video, this post. All of this attention to the trolls, which is exactly what they want...

I don't know I just feel like we're letting these idiots get too under our skin.

#TheIgnoreButton

It's because it makes the rest of us look bad. Think of it this way: you're a prospective investor in eSports (MLG, for instance). You tune into the stream just to see hate and racism spewed left and right from the "community." Then you see the players yelling at each other constantly. (I'm fine with trash talk, but some of it gets a bit out of control. At least MLG moderated it a little bit.).

If you're this prospective investor, would you want your name attached to that "product"? I sure as fuck wouldn't.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There is a "Subscribers only" mode for the chat - but AGL just got the subscriber feature - so they didnt really have any subs yet.. So putting that feature on basically disabled the chat.

well wish there was a better way to address the issue better. I know IGN has started their campaign against the trolls and negativity on their comments section, making w/e topic they make public more relevant to what ppl are saying about it than just stupid comments.