Sign in to follow this  
Skillet

Reworking Ordinance Drops

In my opinion the concept of an ordinance drop is not a terrible one, although the idea that other players can pick up weapons that others will be unaware of is, by its nature, uncompetitive.  What is particularly terrible about H4 ordinances is that a player can get a Needler/Speed Boost/Grenade option or one with an Incineration Cannon.  That is unforgivable.

What I think they should do for Infinity Slayer (other than just getting rid of it) is keep the most damaging power weapons as pick ups, then make ordinance drops things like Concussion, Needler, a small overshield, Hammer, that kind of stuff.  So the rocket launchers and sniper rifles and that kind of stuff would be on the map in traditional Halo fashion, while Ordinances would supply players with low-tier power weapons.  I'm sure there will be disagreement as to which power weapons would be impossible to resolve, but I think the theory behind this recommendation is agreeable.

This thread is not about how ordinance drops should be in the game, but rather how they could keep their feature in the game without it playing like Fiesta Slayer.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think the only kind of ordinances that you should be able to have, is like the ones in team throwdown, armor abilities, Hard-light Shield, Thruster Pack and Hologram .

• Upvote (+1) 2

The Throwdown concept is definitely cool.  For IS they could just allow all 9 (or however many there is) AAs for ODs.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Dude, I'm not writing about competitive Halo.  I'm writing about Infinity Slayer.

What you wrote is true though, I agree with you.  Especially camo, that is ridiculous even on Infinity Slayer.  I didn't mind it too much in Reach MLG though.  The jetpack flag run on Countdown was sick I thought.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ordnance in Infinity Slayer is one of those things where if it's working for you it's the best thing ever, but if it's not going your way, be that getting shitty ordnance rolls or the enemy team getting all the best toys, it's the worst idea ever.

Everybody always claims that they get the shit ordnance rolls and everyone else gets the good stuff, my team always rages at me because they seem to think I get a Beam Rifle every roll, yet they're stuck with the famous Needler/Pulse Grenade/Speed boost combo.  Obviously hyperbole but the unpredictability/randomness of it can detract from the enjoyment of a close fought game, or make what would already be a crushing defeat all the more bitter because the entire enemy team seems to have every power weapon in the history of Halo, ever.

Ordnance is one of 343i's great ideas that sounds awesome on paper (Reward players with a choice of power weapons/powerups upon achieving a certain number of points, whether from kills, assists or objective scores), but looking at it objectively, in practice actually detracts from the fairness/consistency of the gameplay.

One of the most irritating scenarios in Halo 4 is a hard fought 59-59 match (we're talking infinity slayer here) being brought down to not who has the best setup/teamshot/communication, but whoever rolls a Sniper on their ordnance drop.  I've lost track of the amount of times this has happened to me, both in favour of and against, but the frequency with which this happens is shocking.

From a casual point of view, the variety of weapons and the excitement when you roll a Beam/Snipe/Binary is obviously of major appeal to players who maybe don't pay much attention to the nuances of the game, which makes sense because that is actually the biggest proportion of the population.  But to anybody who takes the game seriously the inconsistency of ordnance is a major negative to Infinity Slayer.

This is turning into an essay so all I'll do now is mention how I think ordnance could be implemented to compromise between variety and fairness.

In my opinion ordnance should obviously be a reward to the player who earned it, but shouldn't have the ability to turn a game around basically due to a dice roll.  Top tier power weapons (Snipe, Beam, Binary, Rockets, Fuel Rod, Incineration Cannon, SAW) should never appear on ordnance, they should be map spawns only.  What I would classify as mid-tier or situational power weapons (Railgun, Concussion, Sword, Shotgun, Scatter) should occur only on one slot on the ordnance selection and rarely.  The other ordnance slots should be utility drops such as sidearms (Boltshot, Plasma Pistol, Magnum) and Grenades or certain armour abilities.

I would also increase the score required for ordnance to something close to 150 points, just to reduce the frequency with which it occurs in a game, 75 is just too low.

tl:dr No power weapons on personal ordnance, only grenades, utility weapons/sidearms, grenades and AAs, occasionally lower tier power weapons.  Also higher point requirement for personal ordnance.

Ordnance was added for those casual players who play the game for a month and then leave to go play Call of Duty.

Hell, even Frank O'Connor plays Call of Duty over his own game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I want to scrap ordinance entirely. I thoroughly enjoy the gameplay brought by AAs on the map, never on the player. All we need to keep for H5 is Jet Pack, Thruster, and Camo as a powerup. Can we bring back equipment too? Regenerator, power drain, and bubble shield should have never left us. Maybe we could make them work for competitive settings this time around, who knows.

The ordinance system was a good idea on paper but in reality it didn't really work out that well. Ordinance just needs to be scrap. We tried it and a majority of the community didn't like it.

I think AAs should work exactly as equipment did. Like a 1 time use jet pack with limited fuel, a one time use came, one time use regen, one time us hardlight. IMO it would work well. 

PODs didn't work because they didnt have a tier system of weapons, they just gave u randomized lottery each time. very very very bad idea, a single idea that accounts for thousands of people leaving halo 4 within 3 months of release lol not saying they shouldve copied, but if you're going to copy cod's scorestreaks, at least do it right.

i agree that pods could at the very most contain only semi-power weapons (needler, concussion), and things like sniper/rockets should be fought for on the map

In my opinion ordnance should obviously be a reward to the player who earned it, but shouldn't have the ability to turn a game around basically due to a dice roll.  Top tier power weapons (Snipe, Beam, Binary, Rockets, Fuel Rod, Incineration Cannon, SAW) should never appear on ordnance, they should be map spawns only.  What I would classify as mid-tier or situational power weapons (Railgun, Concussion, Sword, Shotgun, Scatter) should occur only on one slot on the ordnance selection and rarely.  The other ordnance slots should be utility drops such as sidearms (Boltshot, Plasma Pistol, Magnum) and Grenades or certain armour abilities.

I would also increase the score required for ordnance to something close to 150 points, just to reduce the frequency with which it occurs in a game, 75 is just too low.

tl:dr No power weapons on personal ordnance, only grenades, utility weapons/sidearms, grenades and AAs, occasionally lower tier power weapons.  Also higher point requirement for personal ordnance.

Yeah, this is basically what I was saying.  Ordinances would never make it into an MLG/Throwdown playlist, but for Infinity Slayer and Infinity Slayer only it wouldn't be all that bad if they kept it to useful weapons that are not power weapons.  I mean this is what aggravates me more than the addition of ODs themselves, the lottery system of Incineration Cannon or Needler.  You don't need to be an competitive tryhard to understand that.  That is where 343 really frustrated me with the concept.

The ordinance system was a good idea on paper but in reality it didn't really work out that well. Ordinance just needs to be scrap. We tried it and a majority of the community didn't like it.

Dude, I get it.  But they are not going to just scrap a fundamental part of the game from the basic playlists.  I'm not trying to create a thread about whether Ordinances are good or bad, I'm trying to make a thread about how Ordinance Drops can be present in the game without them turning the game into fiesta slayer.