Sign in to follow this  
Master

343, sort out the 1v1 settings before the GC come around. They're bad.

For those who didn't see the AGL stream.. they said that they were using the official GC settings for the 1v1 final of the FFA. First of all, it was a best of ONE. That's right, not a best of 3, or best of 5, but a best of 1. Just when you thought it couldn't be worse, it was first to TEN kills. 

It seems to me like 343 always want to change ONE little thing and put their own "mark" on it, and in the process completely destroy the dynamics of the game.

Why can't you just do 1v1s the way they have been done FOREVER. They've been first to 15 ever since the beginning. But no, they can't just leave it alone, they have to change it to first to 10 (why?!?!). 

To be honest I don't mind the concussion rifle (although it needs A LOT less ammo, Ola still had rounds left when the next one spawned).. but there's no way that should have been a best of 1 series. 4 rounds of FFA to end it all with a first to 10 kill single game? That's just straight up dumb.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Agreed. It's all pretty goofy. I also don't like how the extent of control is OS and concussion rifle. Onyx 1v1 was a snorefest, because it basically all relied on pushing once you got OS. Skyline was a LITTLE better, but still felt lame and anti-climatic for the most part.

Let me get this straight. You're here to complain like whinny little bitch, while you're not one of the people who are going to play inthe Finals in the Championship?.... seems legit.  :ninja: 

And the cancer of the community has begun to spread.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Let me get this straight. You're here to complain like whinny little bitch, while you're not one of the people who are going to play inthe Finals in the Championship?.... seems legit.  :ninja: 

What? 

So according to you, only NBA players can criticise the rules of basketball? What a load of nonsense.

There's a reason these events are streamed. It's ENTERTAINMENT. When 343 come out with a bunch of garbage settings (First to 10 kills, single game), the FANS who watch it have a right to say so.

Also, I think you'll find that almost everyone agrees with me

Unless you think that having a first to 10 single game is a good way to end a HUGE FFA competition?

• Upvote (+1) 2

https://forums.halowaypoint.com//

I actually missed this on the stream, but first to 10 doesn't seem enough for me.  Best of 1 single elimination is pretty intense though, especially as there's gonna be $200k on the line.

In my humble opinion it should have been either best of 3, or double elimination.  Or both.

For one thing, that concussion rifle had WAYYY too much ammo in it for a 1v1. If they do Onyx, no OS/Scatter IMO.

For one thing, that concussion rifle had WAYYY too much ammo in it for a 1v1. If they do Onyx, no OS/Scatter IMO.

They can use Pitfall

To be honest I thought the main issues with that 1v1, in order, were:

1)Sprint

2)Skyline

3) 1+2 combined.

It was ridiculous.

So ghost hasn't had any 1v1 settings/maps thrown his way? Let's see here- how about 1v1 Unity settings? Best of 3, first to 15, no AA, no radar, no ordnance. 90s snipe 120 sd/rail. Extremely fast paced and the most competitive 1s gametype out there.

Tourney using these settings with sign ups going on over at HaloCustoms.com, some really great 1s maps being used. Ghost, here are some settings/maps for you.

Check it out- http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/1520-halocustomscom-1-v-1-tourney/

• Upvote (+1) 1

So ghost hasn't had any 1v1 settings/maps thrown his way? Let's see here- how about 1v1 Unity settings? Best of 3, first to 15, no AA, no radar, no ordnance. 90s snipe 120 sd/rail. Extremely fast paced and the most competitive 1s gametype out there.

Tourney using these settings with sign ups going on over at HaloCustoms.com, some really great 1s maps being used. Ghost, here are some settings/maps for you.

Check it out- http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/1520-halocustomscom-1-v-1-tourney/

This was nice when we last tested it. I'd like to see it get some more attention, it's definitely worth looking at and there will be a tourney through HaloCustoms for it shortly, too (once signups end, of course).

I play a lot of 1v1's. Bo3 or Bo5 would for obvious reasons be better, but i'll address some of the things in this thread.

I didn't watch any of it, so I don't know what map the concussion rifle is on. In regards to onyx, I think OS/Scatter are very important and add to the meta of 1v1's. I'm sure at lower levels of 1v1s ( people who may be well versed in other types of games but haven't really started to understand the flow of singles in h4 ), OS and or scattershot seems really over powered and takes away from the skill of the gametype.
I think it's the opposite, I'm not going to go too into strategies because most of them are situation, but essentially the two main power ups on the map counter eachother. If two people who know what they're doing play a 1v1, you have to really fuck up to not get at least one or the other. 
Also, when you get to the top level of these 1v1s, you'll start to see that power ups aren't a guaranteed kill. That's where the skill gap starts. Anybody can get kills with OS and Scattershot, Good 1v1 players can get kills against them.

Kind of a long post sorry sooo TL;DR - Needs to me more than best of one, 15 kills would be optimal but it's not the biggest issue, powerups on onyx are fine.

EDIT: Since i'm seeing a lot of 1v1 interest here, why don't some of you guys hop on http://www.progamingleague.com/ladders/116#ladder-menu and get some good practice :) Or message me to play 1v1 anytime 

If OS is going to be used in 1v1's then the damage boost needs to be on the map as a proper counter to it. It will add more depth to maps like Onyx, which so far are one dimensional...grab OS..get 1-2 kills with it and go back to camping a base and shooting across the map at my opponent. Rinse and repeat. That is boring and takes minimal skill to win. Add more weapons, more powerups to make 1v1s really shine.

If OS is going to be used in 1v1's then the damage boost needs to be on the map as a proper counter to it. It will add more depth to maps like Onyx, which so far are one dimensional...grab OS..get 1-2 kills with it and go back to camping a base and shooting across the map at my opponent. Rinse and repeat. That is boring and takes minimal skill to win. Add more weapons, more powerups to make 1v1s really shine.

not true at all read the post I placed above you. Scatter shot directly counters OS let alone the fact if you're good you wont give OS 1-2 "easy" kills.

edit: and also "add more weapons more powerups to make 1v1s really shine". That's actually probably the worst thing you could do as far as making singles more competitive. I've played 500+ GB/PGL 1v1s so i'm sorry if I come off pushy but I've seen the ups and downs of these, and I promise, that's not what you need.

I agree about the concept (add weapons/powerups, just one OS and scattershot is not nearly enough) but not about your implementation. The damage boost is a 2 shot kill with the BR. Unless you have Overshield, it is nearly impossible to kill a damage boost player, especially with the extreme ease of aiming in this game. When it is much more common to trade shots, then being up shots is an incredible advantage.

On another note, the 2x overshield is pretty ridiculous for 1v1s imo as well. Doesn't it take more than one clip to kill an OS player? I heard Doju say something like 16sk with the BR.. Also the ordnance waypoint is very annoying because of the added emphasis on positioning in 1v1s.

My thoughts (just an idea) for Onyx: neutral sniper top (or bottom?) mid with zero spare clips, LRs at gold/green, scattershot either bottom green or gold, OS opposite from the scattershot?

@Capitalist

Devil's advocate question: What about Halo CE/2 1v1s? Prisoner/Damnation certainly had a lot more than two power items on the map - would you argue that removing some of the items would make the game more competitive?

I agree about the concept (add weapons/powerups, just one OS and scattershot is not nearly enough) but not about your implementation. The damage boost is a 2 shot kill with the BR. Unless you have Overshield, it is nearly impossible to kill a damage boost player, especially with the extreme ease of aiming in this game. When it is much more common to trade shots, then being up shots is an incredible advantage.

On another note, the 2x overshield is pretty ridiculous for 1v1s imo as well. Doesn't it take more than one clip to kill an OS player? I heard Doju say something like 16sk with the BR.. Also the ordnance waypoint is very annoying because of the added emphasis on positioning in 1v1s.

My thoughts (just an idea) for Onyx: neutral sniper top (or bottom?) mid with zero spare clips, LRs at gold/green, scattershot either bottom green or gold, OS opposite from the scattershot?

@Capitalist

Devil's advocate question: What about Halo CE/2 1v1s? Prisoner/Damnation certainly had a lot more than two power items on the map - would you argue that removing some of the items would make the game more competitive?

I don't think comparing Halo CE/2 to Halo 4 has any relevance. Just because it may or may not have worked ( i didnt have an xbox as a wee lad ) in those games doesn't really carry over. Especially with how different 4 is.

• Downvote (-1) 2

I don't think comparing Halo CE/2 to Halo 4 has any relevance. Just because it may or may not have worked ( i didnt have an xbox as a wee lad ) in those games doesn't really carry over. Especially with how different 4 is.

That sounds a little like a copout, man... what specific changes between CE/2 and H4 in weapon-related metagame (timing, etc) have made comparisons irrelevant?

Halo 2's main 1v1 map Warlock only had one power-up(camo) and on the rest of them like Sanc, Middy, Lockout there was none. Halo 1 on the other hand featured multiple power-ups on 1v1 maps(see Wizard), so it can really work both ways. There is no god pistol in H4 though and you dont have the maps to support multiple power-ups so we should keep the power-ups to a minimum. Getting a 2x OS on Onyx a Middy inspired map is currently OP and it would be better off using a PW dynamic or none instead of power-ups. Camo really is the best 1v1 power-up though, shame its gone :(  

In june I helped my friend make settings for a 1v1 tourney he was running and they turned out decent. Maps were: APK's Sanctuary, V4 Simplex, and Rail. Sanc had OS bottom mid and a sniper (4 bullets) in each hut. Simplex had OV ring 2 and a concussion rifle bottom purple. Rail had a 4 bullet sniper at snipe spawn and OS.

I thought they all played pretty well. The only problem is possibly the host hearing when OS is about to be up a few seconds before, but that wouldn't be a problem on LAN. If anyone cares to check them out I can give you his GT, much better than what we saw today imo.

Edit: I know camo works much better than OS, but we know that's not possible in halo 4.

343 and Ghost need to look at what Unity is doing with 1v1 settings *cough* and 4v4 settings *cough*

Ghost isn't even in charge of the GC tournament. lol you can clearly tell it is 343 running the show (FFA grabbag, FFA swat) . maybe you meant Bravo

And btw I just checked out Unity's version of Skyline (horizon), it has sniper rifle, SAW, 2 shottys and sticky detonator? I don't know if that is a mistake linking the wrong map screenshot, but i think 100% of the people complaining about just the concussion rifle will not like these settings either

Ghost isn't even in charge of the GC tournament. lol you can clearly tell it is 343 running the show (FFA grabbag, FFA swat) . maybe you meant Bravo

And btw I just checked out Unity's version of Skyline (horizon), it has sniper rifle, SAW, 2 shottys and sticky detonator? I don't know if that is a mistake linking the wrong map screenshot, but i think 100% of the people complaining about just the concussion rifle will not like these settings either

I meant Ghost for the AGL 1v1's. They use v4 settings so maybe if Ghost gave them some 1v1 settings they would implement them as well

that version fo skyline sounds like heaven to me. All those weapons open up more ways to get kills and beat ppl. Skyline v4 with a sticky det. is really one dimensional. 

Halo 2's main 1v1 map Warlock only had one power-up(camo) and on the rest of them like Sanc, Middy, Lockout there was none. Halo 1 on the other hand featured multiple power-ups on 1v1 maps(see Wizard), so it can really work both ways. There is no god pistol in H4 though and you dont have the maps to support multiple power-ups so we should keep the power-ups to a minimum. Getting a 2x OS on Onyx a Middy inspired map is currently OP and it would be better off using a PW dynamic or none instead of power-ups. Camo really is the best 1v1 power-up though, shame its gone :(

Priz is also one of the main 1v1 maps. Rockets were banned of course

Can't really compare h1 1v1 to h4s. Every h1 pw had much more skill involved compared to the counterpart or the weapon in h4. That's why 2 snipes, 1 os and 1 camo works in that game. Everything was actually hard to use

Your weapon set is wrong. There are no shotties or sticky detonators on the map. You must have looked at the screenshot with weapons on it (and probably not played Horizon itself), that has the Unity version's weapons in big black circles and also the default version's weapons in small text to help with orientation.

The only power weapons on the map are saw and sniper.