Sign in to follow this  
Zandril

Novus

Hey guys. I'm proud to show you my latest map in Halo 4.

I call it Novus. Latin for new.

I named it that mainly because I wanted to show off the little knowledge I have of the Latin language and because this map is a new start for me. A map I built without basing it off of anything other than my own ideas. First time I've done that. And I'd say it worked out pretty well.

hS9JIev.jpg

Novus is an asymmetric map that plays best on Extraction and Slayer. CTF also plays pretty good. This map has undergone so many changes I've lost count on how many. And all these changes only made the map better.

Weapons in the map

Power Weapons

- Rocket Launcher x1
- Sniper Rifle x1

Other Weapons

- Battle Rifle x2
- Plasma Grenade x2 (4 total)

THANK YOU

After working on the map for three months, I decided to release it. The barrage of feedback I received was overwhelming that it led me to change the map even more.

I'd say that it has changed for the better. Both for gameplay and aesthetics. I've made major changes to this map for 4 times now and I can safely say that each update improved the map.

Of course, I couldn't have done all of this to the map without help.

I would like to thank, (in alphabetical order)

- AbleSir Thomas
- AbsentDuckling
- a Chunk
- Auburn
- dhg redemption
- Festuca
- FlyingShoe ILR
- II Acidity II
- Juanez Sanchez
- Noooooch
- oOZeroFlameOo
- PA1NTS
- SpinCycle014
- TheFatedFire
- THESLAMMERSS
- WARHOLIC
- X51000

I apologize if I missed anyone or misspelled anyone's name.

Minor Update

Replaced base stripe with a crate as an access point from leftside Red to the extraction site at the rock area.

0moAbSa.jpg

Changed the pieces used in Blue to 3x3 shorts to keep the piece usage more consistent.

9L0BxBR.jpg

Changed the locations of the extraction sites

nav9T1P.jpg

SCREENSHOTS

Main photos

0bDndAY.jpg

73jXzqV.jpg

Khf9cjC.jpg

JMm3KOQ.jpg

Db5uW0f.jpg

Rd6d577.jpg

4UxsFJL.jpg

fN2G1ro.jpg

VJrmHKV.jpg

LCoRwWA.jpg

f0PIB8F.jpg

p3ft20X.jpg

EQVjyMJ.jpg

qxpK5sF.jpg

p2hkyJ5.jpg

po9f6Fe.jpg

Overviews

KFgus34.jpg

EDddBPZ.jpg

ztXi9OD.jpg

WidwDKC.jpg

iaoaMo3.jpg

v2ayMqU.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

Played a game on this map last night. we played slayer. i know this is going to come off negative but these are the issues that our lobby came across. Seemed too big for 4v4. I don't think the outskirts of the map were used at all really. it felt like the height variation from floor level to the upper part of the map seemed quite intense. the all natural rock area seemed quite secluded from the rest of the map. I think it would get used quite a bit more if you made it more like a natural rock tunnel and incorporated it into the structure of the existing map instead of excluding it to the side. Gold area floor is HUGE. felt like it took forever to get across it. Movement felt very awkward in red base. I found it somewhat pointless having the 2 ramps in the back as you have to backtrack in order to get up and around. the platforms also seemed at an awkward height. too high to feel comfortable jumping on but too low to feel like an obstacle you have to walk around. I'm not speaking for the whole lobby but the map didn't get taken too seriously.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Played a game on this map last night. we played slayer. i know this is going to come off negative but these are the issues that our lobby came across. Seemed too big for 4v4. I don't think the outskirts of the map were used at all really. it felt like the height variation from floor level to the upper part of the map seemed quite intense. the all natural rock area seemed quite secluded from the rest of the map. I think it would get used quite a bit more if you made it more like a natural rock tunnel and incorporated it into the structure of the existing map instead of excluding it to the side. Gold area floor is HUGE. felt like it took forever to get across it. Movement felt very awkward in red base. I found it somewhat pointless having the 2 ramps in the back as you have to backtrack in order to get up and around. the platforms also seemed at an awkward height. too high to feel comfortable jumping on but too low to feel like an obstacle you have to walk around. I'm not speaking for the whole lobby but the map didn't get taken too seriously.

I agree with a lot of your feedback as they were issues that I myself noticed and was also made known to me by other forgers. I am currently making major changes to the map using the feedback of a lot of people. Your's is included.

Thank you for the comment. I'll do my best to make this map better.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't feel too good about 1/3 of the map being symmetrical, reminds me of yemiL's map that I can't remember the name of, the gameplay wasn't that great on it. This looks cleanly forged and has a good structure otherwise, I see some potential in the design.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't feel too good about 1/3 of the map being symmetrical, reminds me of yemiL's map that I can't remember the name of, the gameplay wasn't that great on it. This looks cleanly forged and has a good structure otherwise, I see some potential in the design.

I'm currently making Red asymmetric. All in all, the map is undergoing a lot of MAJOR changes. So stay tuned.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You may want to spread out the starting spawns for red/blue team so players don't run into each other causing a cluster****. But that may not even happen so it would be just something to keep in mind when testing for now.

You may want to spread out the starting spawns for red/blue team so players don't run into each other causing a cluster****. But that may not even happen so it would be just something to keep in mind when testing for now.

you must play with handicaps...

• Upvote (+1) 2

That never really happened to me. But I'll keep it in mind and look into it once I can. :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

The OP has been completely revamped. New map version, download link, info, and a write-up I hope you guys take the time to read. :)
  • Upvote (+1) 1

OP has been updated with the latest, and possibly final, version of the map. Thanks again to everyone who was with me in this map's development!

• Upvote (+1) 1

OP has been updated with the latest, and possibly final, version of the map. Thanks again to everyone who was with me in this map's development!

Looks beautiful  :)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Looks beautiful  :)

Thanks Squeak. :)

A very nice looking map!! :o Wish I could forge asym :(

Have you tried before? All the maps I used to make where sym. Gave asym a try. And my asym maps turned up better than my sym ones. Then again, the sym maps I made were when I was a total forging nub. :P

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just gave everyone here a positive rating. I feel good today. :P

Zandril, it's awesome that you changed this much in the map. Some people would have given up making the map remain mediocre. But props to you for staying with the map for as long as you can. Look what that did. The map has transformed from mediocre to pretty damn good.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just gave everyone here a positive rating. I feel good today. :P

Zandril, it's awesome that you changed this much in the map. Some people would have given up making the map remain mediocre. But props to you for staying with the map for as long as you can. Look what that did. The map has transformed from mediocre to pretty damn good.

Thank you. I really appreciate that. :)

I've decided to stop tinkering with the map. It's time to start anew.

So I'm just going to quote my little "speech" from Forge Hub explaining why I've decided to let go of the map.

Maybe I should just make some last aesthetic changes to the map and then leave it at that. I remember altering the initial version to V2 where I added the rock cave, changed green and red. It took so much time and was a huge pain.

I honestly don't see myself going through that again.

I'd say that this map has served it's purpose. Not to be the best map that everyone would love but to be a huge learning experience for me and to be something that would allow me to know the community better.

Through testing this map, I made a bunch of new friends here at Forge Hub, Halo Customs, etc. I'd say that I was able to rise from being unknown to slightly known through this map.

I've learned so much from this one map. More than I thought I would. And I couldn't be more thankful to everyone who supported and helped me. Without you guys, I wouldn't have been able to transform Novus from its initial version to what it is right now.

After all the testing, all the feedback, and all the hours spent making changes to the map, I'd say that Novus is not a bad map. If anything, I'd say its's a good map. Not great but good.

When I first released this map, I thought a lot of people would really like it. But the initial reactions I got were criticism against the map. I'm not going to lie. Some comments seemed harsh. But I powered through all of it and kept a good attitude toward everything. And I realized that all the comments that I felt were attacks on me and the map were the comments that made it a whole lot better in the end.

Novus in Latin means new. And the whole experience that Novus gave me was definitely new. I met new people and learned new things. But in the end, the map would not be something that would reach its true potential without completely redesigning/reforging it.

So perhaps it would just be better if I left the map how it is (and I'd say that its current version is actually pretty good) and start anew. I myself am honestly pretty excited on how my next map would be. With all the new things I've learned from Novus, my next map is bound to be an improvement.

Thanks to everyone who was with me in the growth of this map (I'll make a list soon). To the community, I salute.

Thanks again for all the help guys. :D