Lickmyb4c0n

Halo and OG Xbox backwards compatibility?

Interesting, what visual effects? 

In Halo 1, there's a unique bloom effect when the grass is lit up, and when the flashlight passes over rocks. PC/MCC doesn't do this justice.

The heatwave effect in Jet Set Radio Future isn't as intense on the 360. The flamethrower in Conker: Live & Reloaded has a similar effect.

Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions has a bokeh effect not found in the GC or PS2 versions.

The road surfaces in Project Gotham Racing 2 have an impressive "solidity" to them.

Halo 1, Blood Wake, and the exclusive "Oil Rig" level in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 feature an excellent "distant shimmering water" effect.

And Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow has several delicate lighting effects not seen in other versions or even Chaos Theory.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Good lord, this kind of shit bugs me. Let me be clear: PCs and consoles are not in direct competition, ESPECIALLY not in Microsoft's case, given that their most important software product is literally the most widely used PC operating system in the world. This is not a desperation move. It's Xbox finally pulling their heads out of their asses and embracing the PC market. They make money on software and subscriptions. Consoles are sold at a loss. Now all they need to do is stop trying to force the Windows 10 store on people and/or make the Windows 10 store a decent service.

​What really baffles me is how consumers have become so invested in the "console exclusive" shit-show. Exclusives don't benefit anyone but the publishers trying to hold games hostage to sell their shitty hardware. "Not real exclusives." lol. No, they're doing exactly what they are supposed to: they are available on Xbox and not on PS4/Switch. This is exactly the same reason Sony is supporting cross-play with PC and not with their competitors' consoles. None of that benefits consumers in the slightest. What it does is make people feel better about whatever console they chose. The people most concerned with that particular micropeen-measuring contest are console gamers, not people who own gaming PCs.

Consoles and PC have come closer together since Windows 8 debuted the "interface for idiots", and Xbone got dragged down by a slow UI and software bloat. Even so, consoles still have the edge in overall user friendliness, convenience for TV users, and cost. What people like myself are really saying when we call out fake exclusives is that we're scared of the day consoles disappear - PC is not an equivalent.

Consoles and PC have come closer together since Windows 8 debuted the "interface for idiots", and Xbone got dragged down by a slow UI and software bloat. Even so, consoles still have the edge in overall user friendliness, convenience for TV users, and cost. What people like myself are really saying when we call out fake exclusives is that we're scared of the day consoles disappear - PC is not an equivalent.

If every single game in the world came out on all the consoles AND PC, there would still be a market for consoles. When games are exclusive it only benefits the company that has that exclusivity and hurts the consumers. So it kills me when so many people get so butthurt about a game coming out for other systems or PC. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If every single game in the world came out on all the consoles AND PC, there would still be a market for consoles.

This used to be the case, but now that PCs have improved controller support, the Metro "interface for idiots" UI, and the 4K/60 FPS narrative that's going on, console players see each lost real exclusive as a potential lost console hardware sale. It's not too bad right at this moment, but the trend IS in the direction of PC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're right. It isn't an equivalent. PC is better in every single way at this point. User-friendliness is a non-issue and has been for YEARS. Windows 10 is not a command line OS. It's easy as hell to use. Want to use it with a TV? Plenty of support for that. Cost? Seriously, dude. What? Getting equivalent performance is to consoles is not expensive, upgrading is easy, the cost of games is WAY lower across the board, the cost of peripherals is similarly low (since you aren't stuck spending too much money on proprietary controllers).

The people who are too lazy to deal with modern PCs will buy consoles regardless. The majority of people with decent PCs do not want to spend several hundred dollars on dumpy hardware they don't need in order to play a handful of "real exclusives." Gone are the days where powerful personal computers cost an arm and a leg and consoles were the relatively affordable way the play games. Why do people invested in the console market, with no intention of gaming on PC, give a shit if a game is on PC? It makes no sense. Console wars bullshit has literally convinced people that they benefit from inane anti-consumer practices that don't affect them at all.

The only thing I liked about consoles was that you really never experienced hardware lag (not anymore though) and most games had co-op (not anymore though).

i dont even know 10 pc games that have split screen for campaign and mp. 

Just gimme Ninja Gaiden Black and Chaos Theory and I'll be happy.

Lets hope more think like us... NG black is one of best games ever for me :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

The people who are too lazy to deal with modern PCs will buy consoles regardless.

But given the increasing costs of manufacturing powerful console hardware and developing AAA games, there needs to be some benefit to the Sonys and Microsofts of this world to stay in the console market. Is the console diehard base enough? For example, almost nobody but Nintendo diehards bought the Wii U, and it only sold 13 million. Thankfully, Nintendo wasn't badly hurt by that because they make low power hardware that they don't take losses on. The Sony/Microsoft crowd, however, demands power. They pretty much HAVE to sell at a loss. Now that PCs are "close enough" to consoles (not really*) and are drawing away the non-diehards, there IS a possibility of consoles completely disappearing.

*It's a false parity. Consoles are losing their identities as dedicated games machines. Modern console UIs are cluttered, bloated garbage, subject to installs and constant updating like PCs. Because PCs HAVE to do everything, they will NEVER be as user friendly and efficent as consoles CAN be (but actually are less and less). An HDMI port, controller drivers, and Metro UI does not a console at its best make.

In Halo 1, there's a unique bloom effect when the grass is lit up, and when the flashlight passes over rocks. PC/MCC doesn't do this justice.

The heatwave effect in Jet Set Radio Future isn't as intense on the 360. The flamethrower in Conker: Live & Reloaded has a similar effect.

Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions has a bokeh effect not found in the GC or PS2 versions.

The road surfaces in Project Gotham Racing 2 have an impressive "solidity" to them.

Halo 1, Blood Wake, and the exclusive "Oil Rig" level in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 feature an excellent "distant shimmering water" effect.

And Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow has several delicate lighting effects not seen in other versions or even Chaos Theory.

I actually have little experience with emulators but was under the impression that emulators will never be able to run an original game better because of my experience with the OG games that were BC on 360. I feel like almost every game in the library has visual glitches which I know can be common. Still amazed by how much there is though.

im a little hyped now when i shouldn't be. someone with an ounce of credibility told me something nice about BC. i hope it is true. (he wants to come out and say it). 

or maybe its like the pre mcc gh0st leaks and it just turns up false. 

im a little hyped now when i shouldn't be. someone with an ounce of credibility told me something nice about BC. i hope it is true. (he wants to come out and say it). 

or maybe its like the pre mcc gh0st leaks and it just turns up false. 

Depends on whether an ounce of credibility is enough.

Depends on whether an ounce of credibility is enough.

yeah, even this info is true, it still might not be enough. i just remember gh0st's promises pre-mcc lol

• Upvote (+1) 2

I actually have little experience with emulators but was under the impression that emulators will never be able to run an original game better because of my experience with the OG games that were BC on 360. I feel like almost every game in the library has visual glitches which I know can be common. Still amazed by how much there is though.

I'm no expert myself, but I believe with emulators, better /=/ more accurate. Well developed emulators that run older consoles (generally 5th gen and lower) have a lot of memory to work with, which is why stuff like frame advancing, state saving, ect. all works fluidly in modern emulation. Typically, games that maybe struggled a little bit in terms of performance on original hardware can be run far better in emulators .That's not to say 7th gen games will necessarily run well in 8th gen hardware, or that they inherently couldn't, its just that its possible for an emulated environment to provide better performance than original hardware, so long as the host hardware is significantly better than the hardware its emulating.

Perhaps a bigger issue in emulation is the issue with "accuracy". As already noted by FarSight, certain details can seem to get lost in emulation (and in porting too). Generally, emulation, as its name suggests, only "emulates" hardware the best it can. Community emulators especially have to make some assumptions and generalizations as to how everything exactly interacts in real hardware. Minute imperfections can therefore butterfly and cause issues in any aspect of the emulation.

O.o 

I'm starting to think the same, Phil Spencer was tired of the bullshit since 2013, when 1 hour after the xbox one reveal EVERYONE hated the xbox one, and Phil wanted to fix it up quickly, notice how TV, the Kinect, the "Always online," bullshit is gone, ever since Phil came in..

If phil was head of xbox during development of the One, i would be willing to bet it that it would be more powerful and have no kinect and clearer message.

Good for you, but the average person doesn't know what a .ini is. In any case, there will probably still be some missing effects - I've seen visual effects on the original Xbox that I've never seen anywhere else. The people who engineered it really went the extra distance.

No, but game devs should be able to make changes to the ini of their games half asleep.  I think that's his point.  If getting a game to work properly is as simple as fiddling with an ini for 20 minutes, there is no reason for full studios to not be able essentially do the same thing, with a lot more precision.

And to this whole PC vs Console debate....  I'm 31 and have been gaming back and forth on both PC and console since i was booting up those "6 in 1" arcade game collections on 3 1/4" floppys from DOS.  The number of times i have read a "PC gaming is dead" or "Console Gaming is dead" headline over the years is ridiculous.  I'm sure many others here have witnessed the same.  There is always an ebb and flow to the gaming market and there will always be a large audience for console just like there will always be a large audience for PC.  PC is making the most headway right now, but the PS4 and Xbox one together have still sold like 60 million units.  Both have sold more at this point than their same time in the previous generation's lifecycle.

Anyway.... I'm going to go buy a PS4

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nothing pissed me off more than seeing halo 3 and shitty halo 4 get backwards compatible and halo 2 got nothing. Fuck 343 I hate them so much and will never buy a halo game they make ever again.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Nothing pissed me off more than seeing halo 3 and shitty halo 4 get backwards compatible and halo 2 got nothing. Fuck 343 I hate them so much and will never buy a halo game they make ever again.

You will buy Halo 6 just like the rest of us and you will feels so dirty doing it. You will regret it so much that you let the hype get to you. Just like the rest of us.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You will buy Halo 6 just like the rest of us and you will feels so dirty doing it. You will regret it so much that you let the hype get to you. Just like the rest of us.

not me lol, I bought halo 5 just a month ago, when I thought the game was ready.

but I still bought it

I guess the perfect human cannot exist

Does anyone know if the Halo CE Anniversary will have OG Halo 1 multiplayer? Or is it that Reach shit?

Reach

• Upvote (+1) 1

It started out with 100 games which I thought was great (360 emulator) and the list for the original xbox emulator on 360 is pretty big too. Anyone know if they disclosed how they are acquiring games? Will it start out with the same list we already have on 360? Or have those licenses expired over time and they will have to jump through the same hoops all over again.

I talk with the guy who made the 360 emulator quite often. I've asked about this being possible for over a year and was always met with some answer that made it seem like it was impossible mainly for licensing purposes. There's a good number of games, mainly the first installments of series that weren't playable on 360 which really killed me. Mech Assault and Unreal Championship being the main 2. I really hope they go all out with this. I think the original xbox was my favorite generation of gaming overall.

@@Botheredhat360 That guy is actually a very long term member of the xbox team. He's responsible for basically all things emulation, which is a huge deal. Most underrated xbox employee. Phil's great, Major Nelson's great, but this guy is the blood sweat and tears that makes it all happen.

Part of me really hopes that they bring back some way for us to play original Xbox games on Xbox Live, while another part of me thinks it's only a pipe dream, because I don't think Microsoft would be that caring. I really hope the former half will become a reality, and the latter half is false.

• Upvote (+1) 2