Lickmyb4c0n

Halo and OG Xbox backwards compatibility?

Say that they bring back H2 on the backward compatibility program... is there any sort of implication there that they'd possibly turn the servers back on, do you think?

Man, I hope so... MCC Halo 2 just isn't cutting it for me when I play it. Messed up spawns, hit detection sucks, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's a good start, good chance they bring back online, they will probably use xbox one servers instead of scrambling with the old ones.

Also, xbox one and OG uses x86 architecture, so it's easier to emulate games, they probably have a full emulator rather than a single game emulator. 

So, it's a matter of, does halo 2 work on their emulator? And, are they willing for people to play on this rather than mcc.

If they don't, it's simple.

We riot.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Considering the issues with MCC if they allowed us to play all the classic halos through BC then I would be pretty happy.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Nope because people gotta buy MCC.What's this,MCC isn't fixed? We'll force you to by never making h3,h2,or h1 bc because fuck you that's why-343 probably.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They technically haven't even announced Halo CE or Halo 2 (or Halo 3 for that matter) BC yet unfortunately and while I do share the same idealism as you, I truly believe 343 is going to hold out or not release these games at all. ESPECIALLY if they're online enabled because they will immediately eat the entire population of MCC and a large portion of Halo 5, which I don't think they will be willing to do to themselves. Particularly Halo 3. I would imagine you're going to see a list of obscure titles like they did on the 360 like BLACK and Indigo Prophecy (which was actually pretty dope honestly) and Magatama.

I know the backwards compat list was pretty hefty after a while, but they also took some time.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Say that they bring back H2 on the backward compatibility program... is there any sort of implication there that they'd possibly turn the servers back on, do you think?

Man, I hope so... MCC Halo 2 just isn't cutting it for me when I play it. Messed up spawns, hit detection sucks, etc.

Nope. They never shut down the Halo 2 servers, they shut down the entire original Xbox Live service. Unless they want to update all that and bring it back online, we'll be able to play all of these older games offline.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nope. They never shut down the Halo 2 servers, they shut down the entire original Xbox Live service. Unless they want to update all that and bring it back online, we'll be able to play all of these older games offline.

I mean there is a chance they'll use new servers for these games, as they do use x86 architecture for clients and servers, so it shouldn't be hard, didn't you see the tweet where one dude was playing some system link on crimson skies with an xbox one s and OG xbox!!!

Here

https://twitter.com/wcstillwell/status/874044169777369089

I think there's a possibility, a much bigger possibility than H3A obvs

They technically haven't even announced Halo CE or Halo 2 (or Halo 3 for that matter) BC yet unfortunately and while I do share the same idealism as you, I truly believe 343 is going to hold out or not release these games at all. ESPECIALLY if they're online enabled because they will immediately eat the entire population of MCC and a large portion of Halo 5, which I don't think they will be willing to do to themselves. Particularly Halo 3. I would imagine you're going to see a list of obscure titles like they did on the 360 like BLACK and Indigo Prophecy (which was actually pretty dope honestly) and Magatama.

I know the backwards compat list was pretty hefty after a while, but they also took some time.

It started out with 100 games which I thought was great (360 emulator) and the list for the original xbox emulator on 360 is pretty big too. Anyone know if they disclosed how they are acquiring games? Will it start out with the same list we already have on 360? Or have those licenses expired over time and they will have to jump through the same hoops all over again.

I talk with the guy who made the 360 emulator quite often. I've asked about this being possible for over a year and was always met with some answer that made it seem like it was impossible mainly for licensing purposes. There's a good number of games, mainly the first installments of series that weren't playable on 360 which really killed me. Mech Assault and Unreal Championship being the main 2. I really hope they go all out with this. I think the original xbox was my favorite generation of gaming overall.

@@Botheredhat360 That guy is actually a very long term member of the xbox team. He's responsible for basically all things emulation, which is a huge deal. Most underrated xbox employee. Phil's great, Major Nelson's great, but this guy is the blood sweat and tears that makes it all happen.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It started out with 100 games which I thought was great (360 emulator) and the list for the original xbox emulator on 360 is pretty big too. Anyone know if they disclosed how they are acquiring games? Will it start out with the same list we already have on 360? Or have those licenses expired over time and they will have to jump through the same hoops all over again.

Our licenses from 360 will carry over to xbox one, so if we have halo ce for example on our 360 account it carries over.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I talk with the guy who made the 360 emulator quite often. I've asked about this being possible for over a year and was always met with some answer that made it seem like it was impossible mainly for licensing purposes. There's a good number of games, mainly the first installments of series that weren't playable on 360 which really killed me. Mech Assault and Unreal Championship being the main 2. I really hope they go all out with this. I think the original xbox was my favorite generation of gaming overall.

@@Botheredhat360 That guy is actually a very long term member of the xbox team. He's responsible for basically all things emulation, which is a huge deal. Most underrated xbox employee. Phil's great, Major Nelson's great, but this guy is the blood sweat and tears that makes it all happen.

Yeah the list of the OG xbox on 360 is pretty damn large:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/legacy-devices/original-console/play-original-games

It makes me wonder if a lot of the ground-work of the ports are already set in place, but the thing that gives me the most doubt is that at the time, those servers were still online. Not sure how much that will impact releases of OG titles. I'm with you 100% on Unreal Championship though! All kinds of down for that! I'm actually still holding out for UT3 on 360 on XB1!

I was excited when I saw the announcement since the original CE and H2 could be possible, but then I remembered MCC. I agree with Deucey on this one.

After Halo 1, the best part of the original Xbox was Xbox Live multiplayer. MechAssault. Rainbow Six 3. Unreal Championship. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. Project Gotham Racing 2. Crimson Skies. Conker: Live & Reloaded. Halo 2. If they don't re-add Live support, these games lose 75% of their value.

They MIGHT do a one-off Phantom Dust-style hack for Crimson Skies, but beyond that, I expect absolute bare-bones emulation, probably filled with bugs and slowdown just like the emulation on the 360.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Im willing to bet Phil Spencer is tired of 343s crap as well, i refuse to believe microsoft will not have online multiplayer for og xbox halo 2 after an announcement this big, could totally see them making something work for halo 1 aswell

also halo 1 and halo 2 spotted infront of the left tv

gWNqxpm.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Im willing to bet Phil Spencer is tired of 343s crap as well, i refuse to believe microsoft will not have online multiplayer for og xbox halo 2 after an announcement this big, could totally see them making something work for halo 1 aswell

also halo 1 and halo 2 spotted infront of the left 

O.o 

I'm starting to think the same, Phil Spencer was tired of the bullshit since 2013, when 1 hour after the xbox one reveal EVERYONE hated the xbox one, and Phil wanted to fix it up quickly, notice how TV, the Kinect, the "Always online," bullshit is gone, ever since Phil came in..

• Upvote (+1) 2

i refuse to believe microsoft will not have online multiplayer for og xbox halo 2 after an announcement this big, could totally see them making something work for halo 1 aswell

also halo 1 and halo 2 spotted infront of the left tv

You're really setting yourself up for disappointment man.

How people still have faith in Microsoft after they've dropped the ball so much is completely beyond me

• Upvote (+1) 2

You're really setting yourself up for disappointment man.

How people still have faith in Microsoft after they've dropped the ball so much is completely beyond me

Just watch the xbox 360 slim reveal in 2010 and then the one in 2005, they fucked up so badly in 2013 unbelievable

2013: TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV

2014: MCC *woot* broken

2015: Halo 5 meh 360 Backcompat woot

2016: Nothing, just dead shit

2017: New console og back compat, no exclusive good games.

We've come to pure shit

All these fanboys in r/halo saying the e3 in 2005 didn't have any halo, at least we had amazing games like gears and crackdown and forza to carry the xbox!

I don't understand why some people treat Phil Spencer like he's the second coming. He's marginally better than Don Mattrick, but the Xbox team right now is still pure, concentrated SHIT compared to the original Xbox/early 360 team. Halo 4, MCC, Halo 5, all huge failures compared to the Bungie Halos, but it's still full steam ahead with 343. Wouldn't be surprised if they're being kept around because the higher-ups there are a bunch of suckups that are good at marketing and keep costs down.

And his policies aside, his public speaking style is the worst. He sounds like every corporate stereotype combined into one. This year's E3 Xbox conference was especially bad, with the word "exclusive" being used constantly when 90% of the games shown were timed exclusives or available on PC (putting Xbox games on PC smells like a desperation move because Xbone won't sell).

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Just gimme Ninja Gaiden Black and Chaos Theory and I'll be happy.

Chaos Theory is $3.40 on Uplay right now. Pretty sure basically any PC could play it no problem. I want Ninja Gaiden so bad though. 

I got the Original Splinter Cell working on my PC just fine with a few .ini tweaks. Widescreen and all. I know Chaos Theory would work just fine too. 

Good for you, but the average person doesn't know what a .ini is. In any case, there will probably still be some missing effects - I've seen visual effects on the original Xbox that I've never seen anywhere else. The people who engineered it really went the extra distance.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Good for you, but the average person doesn't know what a .ini is. In any case, there will probably still be some missing effects - I've seen visual effects on the original Xbox that I've never seen anywhere else. The people who engineered it really went the extra distance.

Interesting, what visual effects? 

And his policies aside, his public speaking style is the worst. He sounds like every corporate stereotype combined into one. This year's E3 Xbox conference was especially bad, with the word "exclusive" being used constantly when 90% of the games shown were timed exclusives or available on PC (putting Xbox games on PC smells like a desperation move because Xbone won't sell).

Good lord, this kind of shit bugs me. Let me be clear: PCs and consoles are not in direct competition, ESPECIALLY not in Microsoft's case, given that their most important software product is literally the most widely used PC operating system in the world. This is not a desperation move. It's Xbox finally pulling their heads out of their asses and embracing the PC market. They make money on software and subscriptions. Consoles are sold at a loss. Now all they need to do is stop trying to force the Windows 10 store on people and/or make the Windows 10 store a decent service.

​What really baffles me is how consumers have become so invested in the "console exclusive" shit-show. Exclusives don't benefit anyone but the publishers trying to hold games hostage to sell their shitty hardware. "Not real exclusives." lol. No, they're doing exactly what they are supposed to: they are available on Xbox and not on PS4/Switch. This is exactly the same reason Sony is supporting cross-play with PC and not with their competitors' consoles. None of that benefits consumers in the slightest. What it does is make people feel better about whatever console they chose. The people most concerned with that particular micropeen-measuring contest are console gamers, not people who own gaming PCs.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Good lord, this kind of shit bugs me. Let me be clear: PCs and consoles are not in direct competition, ESPECIALLY not in Microsoft's case, given that their most important software product is literally the most widely used PC operating system in the world. This is not a desperation move. It's Xbox finally pulling their heads out of their asses and embracing the PC market. They make money on software and subscriptions. Consoles are sold at a loss. Now all they need to do is stop trying to force the Windows 10 store on people and/or make the Windows 10 store a decent service.

​What really baffles me is how consumers have become so invested in the "console exclusive" shit-show. Exclusives don't benefit anyone but the publishers trying to hold games hostage to sell their shitty hardware. "Not real exclusives." lol. No, they're doing exactly what they are supposed to: they are available on Xbox and not on PS4/Switch. This is exactly the same reason Sony is supporting cross-play with PC and not with their competitors' consoles. None of that benefits consumers in the slightest. What it does is make people feel better about whatever console they chose. The people most concerned with that particular micropeen-measuring contest are console gamers, not people who own gaming PCs.

Thank you and very well put. QFT. 

Saying Xbox has no exclusives because they are also on PC is such an ignorant statement made by so many people nowadays. 

• Upvote (+1) 3