CyReN

Halo Series Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Discussion

Discuss the recent titles that will become backwards compatible on Xbox One!

Sup everyone, just thought I'd start a thread for Halo 3 once it's launched on BC. MCC is trash and that thread is cancer so I'd rather have the discussion of this and that separated. I'm assuming at this point it's probably going to come out on September 25th, the 10 year anniversary of Halo 3's release date, even though they made it seem like it was coming this summer. I'm personally hyped as fuck for this as H3 is the game I had most fun with on Xbox since I've been gaming, although the hype may die out after a few weeks. Hope that 343 maybe gets access to change some of the playlists around so the population isn't divided so much.

Talk about how good the game is, talk about how shit H3 online is lol, find players to run matchmaking or customs with, whatever floats your boat.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's disappointing that it won't be compatible this month, on its 10th anniversary, but there is still a possibility that it'll be added before 2018.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Halo 3 BC. Reach plays so much better on the 360 than the BC version, even after the update, so I'm willing to bet the same will be true for Halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Friendly reminder that 343 didn't remake the best selling game in the series because it would be too embarrassing of them to remake the entire trilogy, proving that the fans miss the past.

They wouldn't be remaking Halo 3 anyway, since they only remastered the first two games. Remaking a game is more time-consuming than just adding prettier graphics to it, which is what they did for Halo: CE and Halo 2. I think 343i are not willing to give Halo 3 the same treatment because it being in the MCC is an excuse for them not to remaster it, which is a terrible excuse.

EDIT: As for the game itself... let's face it: Bungie made a lot of stupid choices, and never bothered to fix them. That ridiculous BR spread, the horrible netcode, the nerfed weaponry, low FoV (seriously, it must be at least 70° in that game)... Still, it was my first Halo in 2010, after Wars, so it holds a special place in my heart.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Place your bets. What has a higher player count 6 months from now. Halo 3 BC or Halo 5 without any changes?

Come on, let's at least be realistic here.

Place your bets. What has a higher player count 6 months from now. Halo 3 BC or Halo 5 without any changes?

Not 6 months from now, but after H3 BC launches it will easily have more players than H5 for a few weeks.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Halo 3 BC. Reach plays so much better on the 360 than the BC version, even after the update, so I'm willing to bet the same will be true for Halo 3.

the thing is you can just play on the 360 but have the increased player pool of all the lazy or poor bastards who don't have their 360 (setup) anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That ridiculous BR spread, the horrible netcode, the nerfed weaponry, low FoV (seriously, it must be at least 70° in that game)... Still, it was my first Halo in 2010, after Wars, so it holds a special place in my heart.

It's literally 55 degrees. The worst of all halos minus halo 2 vertical splitscreen. 

It is 70 on 720p, but its still worse than halo2/r/4/5. tied with ce on 360p though people play on that sweet 108 degrees split screen for ce and CE solo is 90 degrees for whatever reason on mcc. of all games, halo 3 odst has the widest fov at 88 degrees on 720p and ofc the game didn't have pvp multiplayer. 

fucking god bless bungie/343

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's literally 55 degrees. The worst of all halos minus halo 2 vertical splitscreen.

It is 70 on 720p, but its still worse than halo2/r/4/5. tied with ce on 360p though people play on that sweet 108 degrees split screen for ce and CE solo is 90 degrees for whatever reason on mcc. of all games, halo 3 odst has the widest fov at 88 degrees on 720p and ofc the game didn't have pvp multiplayer.

fucking god bless bungie/343

It's really that bad? Damn. I gotta look that up. I remember Halo 3's FoV being the worst in the series, but not that bad.

One of the reasons why I loved the CE Split Screen experience so much was how high the FoV was; the fact that the FoV got lower and lower each installment just blows my freakin' mind. Why would anyone think this would improve their games? Just how stupid can video game developers be?

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's really that bad? Damn. I gotta look that up. I remember Halo 3's FoV being the worst in the series, but not that bad.

One of the reasons why I loved the CE Split Screen experience so much was how high the FoV was; the fact that the FoV got lower and lower each installment just blows my freakin' mind. Why would anyone think this would improve their games? Just how stupid can video game developers be?

so they could improve graphics while maintaining 30fps. oh we're getting a lot of dropped frames at 70fov? lower it to 65. still at 65? lower it again. that's most likely why honestly

• Upvote (+1) 1

so they could improve graphics while maintaining 30fps. oh we're getting a lot of dropped frames at 70fov? lower it to 65. still at 65? lower it again. that's most likely why honestly

I'm not tech savvy when it comes to game design, but how does sacrificing player awareness benefit the framerate? Halo 3: ODST had a larger FoV, yet it still maintain a stable 30FPS, while keeping the visuals from Halo 3 intact. Then again, it's 2-year gap in terms of technology, so I can only guess they were able to do it with ODST.

I'm not tech savvy when it comes to game design, but how does sacrificing player awareness benefit the framerate? Halo 3: ODST had a larger FoV, yet it still maintain a stable 30FPS, while keeping the visuals from Halo 3 intact. Then again, it's 2-year gap in terms of technology, so I can only guess they were able to do it with ODST.

Low FOV = Less information to load onscreen at once per frame.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'm interested to see how it turns out. I doubt it will get a large population boost though. While Halo 3 is still my all time favorite game, there comes a time where hardly anyone plays it. Not just yet, but I feel its coming. 

That also means it could be time for a new #1 favorite game one of these days. 

So many good memories then, can't wait to relive them for the next day or so then have it die off.