Sign in to follow this  
CyReN

Competitive Halo Is Back After Almost A Year Out Of The Spotlight

Damn it, fully expected opening this thread to see MLG had picked Halo back up :(

Good video Goldenboy! Love hearing analysis on eSports.  :goldenboy:

• Upvote (+1) 6

I read the article and video but personally I don't feel like "competitive halo is back" at all. It's like we were crippled and are going through some painstaking physical therapy to get our series back but despite what we do the doctor just tells us we'll only be able to recover to about 70% of full health. This challenge feels like the Halo 2 challenge which to me was far from "competitive halo".

To me I feel like it's more a rebirth of a different era, and it reminds me a lot like how Halo CE started out in the tournament scene. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Damn it, fully expected opening this thread to see MLG had picked Halo back up :(

Good video Goldenboy! Love hearing analysis on eSports.  :goldenboy:

Same. But MLG can stay out of this for all I care. It's a wonder competitive Halo didn't die out after all the babying it received from MLG.

"Competitive" halo isn't quite back yet. We are finally having more tourneys than a year ago though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The commenters, as well as some of the staff that used to write about Halo, on Kotaku are extremely ignorant.

louie.gif

I don't even know what to say after reading that.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I read the article and video but personally I don't feel like "competitive halo is back" at all. It's like we were crippled and are going through some painstaking physical therapy to get our series back but despite what we do the doctor just tells us we'll only be able to recover to about 70% of full health. This challenge feels like the Halo 2 challenge which to me was far from "competitive halo".

To me I feel like it's more a rebirth of a different era, and it reminds me a lot like how Halo CE started out in the tournament scene. 

pretty much this

The commenters, as well as some of the staff that used to write about Halo, on Kotaku are extremely ignorant.

I literally just Lol'ed irl. They put Reach at #1, Halo 4 at #2 and H2 last?

Good joke.

"Competitive" halo isn't quite back yet. We are finally having more tourneys than a year ago though.

Ironic how we have too many events now. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

I literally just Lol'ed irl. They put Reach at #1, Halo 4 at #2 and H2 last?

Good joke.

Ironic how we have too many events now. 

Double face-to-desk maneuver, for when reading it once and not believing what my eyes were seeing.. caused me to read it once again.

The FFA tourney does resemble the Challenge Rumble pit play-list doesn't it lol. People keep saying this FFA tourney is a sign of maybe 343/Microsoft finally supporting comp Halo(12 years late into the franchise.....) but its really just a general online event with random game-types meant to get anybody playing H4 again that comp players are playing in. Its not anything close to  tournament support or actual developer support for the scene what we actually need.

Dont forget the interview for H4 on how 343 is supporting the e-sport scene was Kevin Franklin talking about Griball and Frank O'Connor saying "Stat support" is supporting the scene. These are the kind of people in charge of the franchise still.

They were obviously ranking the games mostly based on the single player experience.

That list would be so much worse if they were going off multiplayer.

• Upvote (+1) 3

They were obviously ranking the games mostly based on the single player experience.

That list would be so much worse if they were going off multiplayer.

I skimmed through it quickly (because my eyes were bleeding) but they did mention Multiplayer in there at least once (when talking about H2).

Play Halo then Halo 4 back-to-back and you'll realise just how little has changed in the last ten years. 

LMAO, so obvious this guy is not a Halo fan. I am guessing Ninja Gaiden 3 plays like Ninja Gaiden Black too going by this guys scale.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ugh,  here I was thinking that something BIG (Like no ZBNS) happened to Halo 4....damn you Cyren you made me cry a bit.

I have always respected his intellect and optimism, but sometimes he's as far away from a realist as one could possibly be.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks for posting this Cyren. I know that to you guys competitive Halo may never "be back" but when 343 puts $500,000 on a tournament, which is one of the highest payouts Halo has ever had, I consider that to be a huge step in the right direction. 

I have always respected his intellect and optimism, but sometimes he's as far away from a realist as one could possibly be.

I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy. I am very realistic in my thought process because when 343 announces a major event of this capacity I know where this is going in the long run.

Plus, there are too many jaded people in this business (eSports or general gaming) so a little optimism is needed! :D

• Upvote (+1) 5