Sign in to follow this  
CyReN

Competitive Halo Is Back After Almost A Year Out Of The Spotlight

It's just the fact that viewers will never be as high. Hoping to see some record numbers at this event. Then we can see the turn around.

I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy. I am very realistic in my thought process because when 343 announces a major event of this capacity I know where this is going in the long run.

Plus, there are too many jaded people in this business (eSports or general gaming) so a little optimism is needed! :D

I would not say that you are in the wrong of thinking, but being a realist doesn't only mean looking at the money put forth. You have already been apart of a 100k tournament where there was supposed support of Shootmania. Money does not always mean that there will be success. The first place winner of EVO SFIV won around 6k and it was a lot more successful commercially with numbers, attendance, et cetera. I am not saying that you are wrong in being optimistic, but if we are being real here, successful only comes from profit. That is only saw by seeing how much money you put into something, and seeing the return on said investment. 

Thanks for posting this Cyren. I know that to you guys competitive Halo may never "be back" but when 343 puts $500,000 on a tournament, which is one of the highest payouts Halo has ever had, I consider that to be a huge step in the right direction. 

I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy. I am very realistic in my thought process because when 343 announces a major event of this capacity I know where this is going in the long run.

Plus, there are too many jaded people in this business (eSports or general gaming) so a little optimism is needed! :D

Dont get me wrong I appreciate what you are doing being so active in different communities and am I going to participate/watch the FFA tourney? Of course I am just so I can say I did if nothing else. I just dont think a mostly online "tournament" comprised of random FFA game-types(Swat next week) is really the kind of competitive tournament that would mark competitive Halo is back or actually being supported by the developers but it will be fun you are right.

I'm honestly just really glad that we've got someone involved with competitive Halo also working for a site like Kotaku. He'll potentially bring in more viewers with Halo updates. 

I'm honestly just really glad that we've got someone involved with competitive Halo also working for a site like Kotaku. He'll potentially bring in more viewers with Halo updates. 

and we forget that Kotaku is the Slowest news site with very little real information

and we forget that Kotaku is the Slowest news site with very little real information

little publicity is better than no publicity

little publicity is better than no publicity

Yeah, but we'd be better represented on a site like IGN or Gameinformer. As much as i like GoldenBoyFTW, Kotaku is a joke.

Yeah, but we'd be better represented on a site like IGN or Gameinformer. As much as i like GoldenBoyFTW, Kotaku is a joke.

Not sure I agree with that, IGN is a joke if anything. Have you ever tried to actually discuss a game over there? Its all over-used GIF's and system wars over there, and people "rep-whoring" by trying to make up with the stupidest Xbox One joke. Kotaku you can actually discuss the games with a slightly more mature community and the content is not just about system wars or what have you.

To be fair, Kotaku still gets a lot of views and while they are more of a gosspiy site than an actual games site, that's still attention. Gamespot also does some news on Halo.

Slowly getting there with Slasher at Gamespot and Goldenboy at Kotaku. Goldenboy used to work at IGN too.

Slowly getting there with Slasher at Gamespot and Goldenboy at Kotaku. Goldenboy used to work at IGN too.

With the IPL SCII league, right?

We'l be back once we get over 10k at an event

That would be one third of the current H4 population  :o

Setting the bar pretty high....

That would be one third of the current H4 population  :o

Setting the bar pretty high....

Im not saying I expect/think we will reach that target (I dont) but to be considered as "back", or anything close to that, there needs to be audience.

I'm not admitting it's back until it seems like the Halo 2 days. The days when Halo was played for "fun."

I'm not admitting it's back until it seems like the Halo 2 days. The days when Halo was played for "fun."

Good luck with that. Agl point check!

Lol

Good luck with that. Agl point check!

Lol

Agl point check? Elaborate please.

Exactly.

Ill pretend like I know whatever the **** you are talking about and finish the conversation there.

The commenters, as well as some of the staff that used to write about Halo, on Kotaku are extremely ignorant.

Wow. I'm not sure I'll ever visit that website again...it actually makes me sort of angry that anyone could genuinely put that list in that order...

• Upvote (+1) 1

They were obviously ranking the games mostly based on the single player experience.

That list would be so much worse if they were going off multiplayer.

I never even thought Halo 2's single player was bad at all.  I always enjoyed it.