CyReN

Halo 4 No Sprint Discussion

Since yesterday the floodgates have opened and so many threads have filled General Discussion. Let's try and keep it in one place for now on.

I didn't have the offer to have a game type. It was a hypothetical question at one point early on, and at the time being with no test options, I decided to stick with Sprint in the playlist. It was a blind decision for Team Throwdown - something that I would never feel comfortable executing.

-Ghost

v5 Testing & Discussion | Halo 4 Modded Settings Discussion

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think we should switch to no sprint. It won't fix everything - there will still be no descope - but it'll be a step in the good direction. Sprint just never belonged in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I think we should switch to no sprint. It won't fix everything - there will still be no descope - but it'll be a step in the good direction. Sprint just never belonged in Halo.

I do however like the idea of AAs. In competitive Halo though, they should be treated somewhat like powerweapons, kind of like in reach, but it's whatever.

Sprint, especially in FFA, speeds up the game in a bad way. I hate sprint in FFA because you could get someone oneshot, then they'll sprint away, only to be killed by someone else -_______-

Keep in mind... This is for discussing the settings... Not for flaming/asking Ghost to implement into Throwdown

I'm still waiting for someone to get sacrificed and put the gametype on his/her file share.

Oh well, meanwhile in my own opinion... we should have No-Sprint in a couple playlist. But we must get used to have a balance between both. Because I see thousands of people liking Sprint plus 343 not getting rid all of it in the next Halo.

Removing sprint alone won't make Halo 4 good again. It is only one thing in a long list of problems with the game.

You need to take it to the next level of modding like the Unity guys with reduced aim assist/magnetism, no bloom 4sk magnum/DMR, no flinch, Camo ordinance and all the other crazy fixes they are implementing.

These settings probably wont get implemented for the sole fact that its modded. But anything could happen i mean if Quinn decides that sprint might work then we might see real settings that have NS. but i'm glad that ghost is getting a chance to actually test it out for once.

Enjoying watching Saucey play NS. 

Except Station 9 Kreygasm.png

Chat is going bonkers over ProMod being so much better for movement and strafe ability.

Never gon happen because Quinn gon Quinn (not hating).

• Upvote (+1) 1

The fact that there is so much emphasis on SPRINT vs NO-SPRINT takes attention away from other issues like loud footsteps noises, spread/bloom on precision weapons, no-throw oddball and lack of a Camo power up among other issues. Ironically modded settings have fixed all these issues yet here we still talking about IF we should remove sprint. It's a joke at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Enjoying watching Saucey play NS. 

Except Station 9 Kreygasm.png

Saucey pulling in more viewers than Neighbor.  :saucey:

• Upvote (+1) 1

The fact that there is so much emphasis on SPRINT vs NO-SPRINT takes attention away from other issues like loud footsteps noises, spread/bloom on precision weapons, no-throw oddball and lack of a Camo power up among other issues. Ironically modded settings have fixed all these issues yet here we still talking about IF we should remove sprint. It's a joke at this point.

People don't want to relearn Halo 4 this late in its lifetime.

No sprint.

No auto flag pick up.

Ability to drop the flag.

Ability to remove indicator above flag carrier.

De-Scope.

I understand de-scoping can't be implemented, but surely the rest can?

ZBNS Reach.

That's spamming or pacing vs a new powerup, a new gametype, spamming/pacing, awareness, etc.

Nobody wants to relearn Halo 4. Modded settings to that degree simply won't be popular.

Descope can be implemented, 343 just doesn't have the resources to do so, neither do regular modders.

Imagine the work for No Sprint x 1000.

That's spamming or pacing vs a new powerup, a new gametype, spamming/pacing, awareness, etc.

Nobody wants to relearn Halo 4. Modded settings to that degree simply won't be popular.

Camo isn't a new power up...

Not being able to throw the oddball isn't some radical new concept...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Said it on Facebook, will say it here.

Sprint should not be removed from the game... I don't get why this is an argument, but we have a lot of people that aren't willing to accept and welcome changes. There is a mentality that we all have in life that carries over to gaming; fight or flight. Just because someone else isn't willing to actually think about it for a brief moment, does not mean I, or anyone else, should be doomed because we do think about it. You didn't get a kill? Get over it. The other person was smart enough to know to get out of there... You have a choice to make... Call them out so a teammate may finish them, or chase them, or let them go. If you want a dimwit as an opponent that will typically fight to the death, face the computer. There are always going to be encounters where you must choose. It adds a dimension to the game that would otherwise be black and white. I know some people may not like this word, but ADAPT. You need to know how to do it. I get that we don't want the core gameplay being changed, and I don't believe it has. Call of Duty recycles their game every year, try them out if you want the same crap.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 19

When looking at any mechanic for halo we have to ask ourselves a few questions:

What are the apparent positives?

What are the apparent negatives?

What are the non-obvious positives?

What are the non-obvious negatives?

How does it alter the game on a fundamental level?

This is what I feel about the above: 

The apparent positives are that you get into battle faster making the game faster. The alternative is a modded gametype. It allows you to do more jumps. The maps we have are scaled up to accommodate for it.

The apparent negatives are that sprint promotes running away, making the game slower. It allows people to escape bad situations and decisions making the game less intelligent. It allows someone who just spawned to immediately get back into the game, meaning you aren't punished as much for death, making deaths not significant. It makes map control less significant because people are mobile enough to break any setup much easier than no-sprint would allow. 

The non-obvious positives are that sprint It is default making it more likely for casuals to understand it. I've got nothing else. Maybe someone else can find more but that is all I can think off.

The non-obvious negatives are that we all hate sprint and it makes us not want to play the game at all. It also makes many non-competitive players not want to play and has driven away thousands of casuals. Halo 3 had no sprint and it was the biggest game of it's time. Pretty much nobody likes sprint and the only people who do are the only people who didn't leave Halo with Reach. 

How does sprint impact the flow of the game? It changes the game from one that has strategy and high levels of map control (Halo 2 style) to one that is highly based on aggression. It also lowers the level of punishment for poor mistakes. It does this by allowing people in bad situations to get away, and people who died to get back into the fight quicker. The people who have map control aren't going to be sprinting a whole lot since they are already in position, meaning it is something that only helps the team that doesn't have map control. It also makes objective worse in general because people can get to the objective quickly and blindly run it easier. It also allows people to catch the person with the objective carrier faster or assault the extraction point quicker. Because of this, maps are required to be bigger making gameplay in a non-sprint setting worse. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Camo isn't a new power up...

Not being able to throw the oddball isn't some radical new concept...

Players don't want to relearn Halo.