CyReN

Halo 4 No Sprint Discussion

I really hope you guys don't exclude the hard work other modders have already done within the last few months. Just please at least attempt to hear those players out or give them a chance in testing.

If you don't like those settings I would love to hear in depth reasons as to why from those who are making the choices.

We spent 7 months JUST trying to get no sprint. Why not try to implement any other changes that could benefit the game right now? Not saying we need to tweak more than sprint, but there are other options out there that have been tested for a lot longer than this no sprint situation

I think anything other than no sprint is too radical of a change to ask for. All that the competitive community has realistically asked for in Halo 4 was the modded 180 second random ordnance. That is, in my opinion, a really small change to ask for and, in the grand scheme of things, doesn't mean much. I think that even though the mod community has made Halo 4 better, they've made it into something that isn't Halo 4. I don't think the developer will support something that radical.

Realistically, I think no sprint should be doable from the developer. After that, we should bitch about Oddball throwing being disabled. I have to imagine that that's a similar amount of effort. Stuff like speed boost becoming camo and altered player size... I'm not seeing it happen.

@^ They also "modded" the 2x OS.

You know a no-throw oddball gametype exists now right?

I knew I was forgetting something. But then the weapon tune made the 2x OS universal, finally.

I'm not surprised. But does it exist without all the other mods, and with no sprint? That's the problem with mods is that none of the people like Ghost have the tools to make them themselves - we have to kinda scavenge the other modders stuff.

Katastrophe, even if they don't get implemented, I still want them tested. The way I see this, we're currently in beta mode for Halo 5. Forgive me for bashing on Halo 4 for a second, but out of the box the game was pretty awful. It's been a non-stop process of fixing it and I would really just hate for us to fix sprint and call everything else ok. 

If we can test changes that have a possibility of benefiting the game, I say we go ahead and do it. Maybe we can find some really interesting results and create a "perfect" balance between a utility weapon being skillful/difficult to use, yet consist and powerful, while stripping some of the mechanics weighted on to said weapon.

If that turns out to not be a good switch for the future of halo, we can leave it behind. Right now, I'm not afraid of losing casuals or alienating a community, because we already lost most of the community with vanilla settings. I feel no sprint will be the only mod to attract a player base and get them back into the game, but if we can at least test and tweak every little thing, we can possibly make the best version of Halo 4.

I think any concerns of alienating a community at this point is redundant.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I honestly don't think modding Halo 4 to show 343 how we want Halo 5 to be is a legitimate strategy. If 343 really wants to take our opinion into consideration, they can read the forums.

Or just play some Halo 2.

I think anything other than no sprint is too radical of a change to ask for. All that the competitive community has realistically asked for in Halo 4 was the modded 180 second random ordnance. That is, in my opinion, a really small change to ask for and, in the grand scheme of things, doesn't mean much. I think that even though the mod community has made Halo 4 better, they've made it into something that isn't Halo 4. I don't think the developer will support something that radical.

Realistically, I think no sprint should be doable from the developer. After that, we should bitch about Oddball throwing being disabled. I have to imagine that that's a similar amount of effort. Stuff like speed boost becoming camo and altered player size... I'm not seeing it happen.

Quote of Halo 4.

Timers were broken.

Weapon timers? I was under the impression that it was straight from ghost's fileshare then modded :/ ah gotcha, well thanks for the heads up, I'll let the modder know.

Weapon timers? I was under the impression that it was straight from ghost's fileshare then modded :/ ah gotcha, well thanks for the heads up, I'll let the modder know.

Yup had some whacky custom game options too I can't remember exactly... But message me if you want the ones everyone is using

Just played NS customs on Halo 4 for the first time and had so much fun. It's  :beyond:  me why we still have to play w/ Sprint. I really hope Quinn gives Ghost an official gametype ASAP because idk if I can carry on playing Halo 4 with Sprint.

Running customs right now - message me for an invite.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just played NS customs on Halo 4 for the first time and had so much fun. It's  :beyond:  me why we still have to play w/ Sprint. I really hope Quinn gives Ghost an official gametype ASAP because idk if I can carry on playing Halo 4 with Sprint.

:3

I'm just going to throw this out there...

I think the no sprint settings should have the shields set to 4 second recharge wait and 110% recharge rate. Doju pointed out that this most closely resembles the speed of Halo 2 and 3's shields. Considering the new Halo 4 BR is essentially the Halo 2 BR, and sprint is removed, I see no reason to stick with the current shield settings (6 second wait, 100% rate). This is done without mods.

I know the thread is about no sprint discussion which... what is there to discuss? It's better. But if we're changing that mechanic, we're going to have to change the other mechanics that were altered in order to compensate. Shields, to me, is the biggest priority. You figure Halo 4 has a default slow shield mechanic because sprint allows you to get away further. So to balance, your shields should recharge faster since you can't get nearly as far away.

I'd go on to remove the loadout and force the spawn settings via the Base Player Traits options and remove the ammo glitch - with the weapon tune, I feel like this is no longer needed. I'd also remove PoDs and put them on the map and you might actually have a respectable Halo game, aside from poor CTF and flinch.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm just going to throw this out there...

I think the no sprint settings should have the shields set to 4 second recharge wait and 110% recharge rate. Doju pointed out that this most closely resembles the speed of Halo 2 and 3's shields. Considering the new Halo 4 BR is essentially the Halo 2 BR, and sprint is removed, I see no reason to stick with the current shield settings (6 second wait, 100% rate). This is done without mods.

I know the thread is about no sprint discussion which... what is there to discuss? It's better. But if we're changing that mechanic, we're going to have to change the other mechanics that were altered in order to compensate. Shields, to me, is the biggest priority. You figure Halo 4 has a default slow shield mechanic because sprint allows you to get away further. So to balance, your shields should recharge faster since you can't get nearly as far away.

I'd go on to remove the loadout and force the spawn settings via the Base Player Traits options and remove the ammo glitch - with the weapon tune, I feel like this is no longer needed. I'd also remove PoDs and put them on the map and you might actually have a respectable Halo game, aside from poor CTF and flinch.

Discussing changes to other mechanics because of no sprint is fine.

Shield and radar properties need to be reconsidered, I agree

:3

Thanks for the lobby. :P We must do it again soon.

Discussing changes to other mechanics because of no sprint is fine.

Shield and radar properties need to be reconsidered, I agree

Radar?

I think he means for something like Legendary Slayer.

At least I hope. :P

I think I'm beginning to understand why he's not in favor of a more effective strafe and I don't think it has to do with not feeling natural.

Can anyone PM me a fileshare with NS gametypes in them or get me in a quick lobby to DL them?

Much appreciated. 

Can anyone PM me a fileshare with NS gametypes in them or get me in a quick lobby to DL them?

Much appreciated. 

Message 'Katastrophe'.

I'll be happy to pass them along.

The ones I have are straight up v4 settings without sprint and 120% movement. These are the ones that, as far as I'm aware, Saucey, aPK, Ghost and the rest of BE are using/promoting.

Actually, if anyone wants to start a lobby, message me. I'm bored and it's too early to sleep. Please have Skyline. I'd actually really like to try to run the altered shield settings but if everyone just wants to do straight v4NS, that's fine.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The ones I have are straight up v4 settings without sprint and 120% movement. These are the ones that, as far as I'm aware, Saucey, aPK, Ghost and the rest of BE are using/promoting.

Not promoting, just really enjoying.