The Snazzer

If this is true, then who is a halo pro?

As long as Ninja makes enough from twitch and youtube to pay his rent, he will be the only Halo Pro. Back in the day there were a small handful of them. There is only one now. Tournament winnings here and there, split four ways, are paying no one's bills.

There could have been a lot more people making a decent living gaming during halo's time, but none of them understood the market or how to make money from it back then, and those days are long gone.

What about Team Ambush? How much have they been making?

So that's what cT stood for? This whole time on THC after Smacks made the cT scan joke i thought that's why your name was cT lol. Man...

What about Team Ambush? How much have they been making?

So that's what cT stood for? This whole time on THC after Smacks made the cT scan joke i thought that's why your name was cT lol. Man...

You tell me, I've not followed tournament winnings. But unless they're making a g a month each, they'd do better at McDonalds.

And yeah, that was my name on MLG for the 8 years I worked for them, I just shortened it for THC cause cT is what my halo friends call me and it's just easier.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Did you actually read my post? I just described what I use Pro for in the Halo context in its current state. If the game changes, then obviously the context changes too.

(example scenario)

"Whos that Ninja guy?"

"Oh, hes a pro player"...... Not" he is a one of the better players of Halo and makes a some money off the game through either tournament earnings or stream earning. Whether this income is sustainable cannot be confirmed."

Like I said, I think the whole thread/arguing over the semantics of a word is stupid.

Some people can use a different term for it, and thats fine.

Ninja confirmed he's making about 20k a year off of twitch, 5k off of youtube, and 30k from his sponsors

Ninja confirmed he's making about 20k a year off of twitch, 5k off of youtube, and 30k from his sponsors

Not that it's my business, but I'm a little skeptical of that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

no

As long as Ninja makes enough from twitch and youtube to pay his rent, he will be the only Halo Pro. Back in the day there were a small handful of them. There is only one now. Tournament winnings here and there, split four ways, are paying no one's bills.

There could have been a lot more people making a decent living gaming during halo's time, but none of them understood the market or how to make money from it back then, and those days are long gone.

So if some guy we never heard of wins the 200k FFA , will he be considered a pro?

I agree but Pistola did say in a twitch chat that he has made about 850k from playing Halo over his career, I dont think any of the top pros during the MLG era regret it. The dream is still alive for some and as long as Halo MP is popular(aka not H4) and e-sports continues to grow I dont see why it cant become a legitimate profession for more games(aka games that are not Starcraft, LoL,DOTA)

I agree but Pistola did say in a twitch chat that he has made about 850k from playing Halo over his career, the dream is still alive for some and as long as Halo MP is popular(aka not H4) and e-sports continues to grow I dont see why it cant become a legitimate profession for more games(aka games that are not Starcraft, LoL,DOTA)

I wonder how much Ola still has saved

Same with the Ogre's/Walshy/T2

I agree but Pistola did say in a twitch chat that he has made about 850k from playing Halo over his career, I dont think any of the top pros during the MLG era regret it. The dream is still alive for some and as long as Halo MP is popular(aka not H4) and e-sports continues to grow I dont see why it cant become a legitimate profession for more games(aka games that are not Starcraft, LoL,DOTA)

I believe the number he said was 250k, could be wrong though

So if some guy we never heard of wins the 200k FFA , will he be considered a pro?

I don't think a one-time payment reeeeally qualifies as doing something professionally. I mean sure, he'll be able to pay a lot of bills and such, but it is not sustainable. I think being able to make a sustainable living off of something qualifies you as a professional. If a known "pro" wins it, that title will stick much easier.

I agree but Pistola did say in a twitch chat that he has made about 850k from playing Halo over his career

Yea, I don't believe that for a second.

Now that number is in the realm of possibility. Good for him, I hope he bought some real estate and stocks in 2009/10, that was a great time to invest.

Not 100 percent positive either but I think I remember someone in the chat type 850k? It was live on stream but I dont care enough to look it up. I am guessing people like Walshy,T2, Roybox, Pistola, Ogres definitely made upwards of 500k off of gaming. 

Pistola said 150k.  It was in the live stream with him, ghostayame, and those British people talking about universal settings. 

Not 100 percent positive either but I think I remember someone in the chat type 850k? It was live on stream but I dont care enough to look it up. I am guessing people like Walshy,T2, Roybox, Pistola, Ogres definitely made upwards of 500k off of gaming. 

Yeah I remember being in that stream, pretty sure it was ~250k. I think T2, Ogres and Walshy probably have made way more than anyone else because of the contracts + big sponsors + national championships.

Not 100 percent positive either but I think I remember someone in the chat type 850k? It was live on stream but I dont care enough to look it up. I am guessing someone like Walshy,T2, Roybox, Pistola, Ogres definitely made upwards of 500k off of gaming.

I'd love if one of them came in here and corrected me, but this seems unlikely. People spout off about the 250k contracts but having worked for MLG since 2005, I heard some sketchy stuff about those (I won't go into detail). I would love to hear if one of the recipients of those came in here and said they definitely got the entire amount paid to them directly from MLG. Let's just say it would surprise me.

Let's say they actually did get the entire amount. OGRE2 won what, four national championships? Those are 100k each, so 25k x 4 is another hundred grand. Let's say 15-20 or so 20k first places from MLGs, that's another hundred grand or so. That puts him at 450k. Sponsors, Gilbert Arenas, some gametime with fans maybe, some FFA winnings. He MAYBE earned 500-550k from gaming, maybe a tad more. That said, you gotta understand those winnings were probably taxed to HELL. I'm guessing somewhere around 40-50%.

So maybe he made a quarter mil after taxes, maybe a bit more. That's still some damn nice coin for his age, but let's not make these guys out to be milllionaires. Maybe Walsh has the same numbers, but that's pretty much the end of that list when it comes to the 500k mark. I doubt there's a huge list of people who made life-changing money off of this, but there are probably a solid dozen or so that definitely would not have regretted giving those years of their life to halo.

This is mostly conjecture, so I could be wrong. However, it's more than likely that I'm OVER estimating most of these numbers rather than under.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Another thing to consider is that I can't think of another sport were pros compete against amateurs for a money price.

Golf is the only one close, but even so amateurs can't collect money when they play pro tournaments.

http://www.esportsearnings.com/players

This is what pros have made from solely tournament wins.  It shows only Ogre2 and Ola though unless you click Halo Reach and it will show you the top 25 earnings from the game.

Ogre 2 has actually said that list is wrong and he should be way farther up that list, 92k for someone who has won like 35(not sure the exact number) major tournaments? That list just does not look right for multiple people there.

Ogre 2 has actually said that list is wrong and he should be way farther up that list, 92k for someone who has won like 35(not sure the exact number) major tournaments? That list just does not look right for multiple people there.

Huh.  Then I guess disregard that source then.

Now that I think about that the amount of wins for games like h2 seem really low

I'd love if one of them came in here and corrected me, but this seems unlikely. People spout off about the 250k contracts but having worked for MLG since 2005, I heard some sketchy stuff about those (I won't go into detail). I would love to hear if one of the recipients of those came in here and said they definitely got the entire amount paid to them directly from MLG. Let's just say it would surprise me.

Towey debunked the "$250k" contracts like a year ago.  He said that no one saw anywhere near that full amount.

The Ogres, Walshy and T2 have probably made the most from Halo. I remember hearing that T2 made 300k the year he won nationals. I guess that's not all from tournament wins though.

You know he's sponsored by Mind Nutrition right?

And PGL. I'd assume he makes more from PGL.  Ninja and Parasite (COD) are the only two sponsored PGL players as far as I can tell.

http://www.esportsearnings.com/players

This is what pros have made from solely tournament wins.  It shows only Ogre2 and Ola though unless you click Halo Reach and it will show you the top 25 earnings from the game.

edit: nvm this source doesn't seem very reliable

I guess they don't out fighting games up there? I don't know how much Infiltration has made, but the guy made $50 from two tournaments alone last year. EVO and 25th Anniversary tournament.