Sign in to follow this  
ThreeShotPistol

Sprint in future Halo(s)

I've been thinking about sprint and the inevitable fight that will be had over the coming months/years about sprint in Halo and how the Halo community is going to deal with it moving forward. I just wanted to post my idea about what could be done to satisfy both competitive and casual players alike who enjoy pure Halo as it was for the most part through the first three titles (like myself) and those who have come later and/or enjoy the new changes to the multiplayer of Halo. I'll keep it short as possible.

My idea is to move sprint to a base trait or armor ability that is used to enhance the experience of Big Team Battle gametypes on the large Halo maps intended for teams of 8 (or perhaps more in the next Halo), as well as being a custom game option that you can toggle on/off if you want to create custom gametypes that utilize sprint in whatever ways you can dream up. 

In the base Halo multiplayer experience, I.E. gametypes with teams of 4 players or less, you will be playing without sprint on small to medium sized maps designed without sprint in mind.

These days I am mostly playing Halo 1 and 2 on XBC. Whenever I find myself messing around on maps like Coag or Waterworks, I occasionly make a long journey on foot across these maps and for the first time in my life, actually WANTING to have the option to sprint in Halo. In past Halos, you got around big maps in two ways.

1. Teleporters.

2. Vehicles.

Now, I have absolutely no problems with this at all as someone who grew up playing big maps in this way. However, now that sprint has been introduced and used twice in the last two consecutive titles, I feel using it in big maps with large teams as well as easily switched on in custom options is a good middle ground to land on for the future of the series.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I do not mind a Toggle Option for Sprint, the more customization for Custom Game-Types the better, but otherwise, in Matchmaking, no Sprint needs to be removed completely.

It is up to the Map Designer to design Map Layout's with enough options and routes to get around the Map quick enough, while not having to bother with mechanics like Sprint that actually can completely ruin the experience of BTB as well. Element's like Teleporter's and Gravity Lift's have always worked in the past to improve the speed at which a Map can be moved around, though Map's do not always need those elements either, its all up to the Map Designer.

No Sprint in Matchmaking, ever again, please for the love of Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I really think that players should be able to toggle sprint on and off. Sprint shouldn't even be in some MM playlists.

I've been thinking about sprint and the inevitable fight that will be had over the coming months/years about sprint in Halo and how the Halo community is going to deal with it moving forward. I just wanted to post my idea about what could be done to satisfy both competitive and casual players alike who enjoy pure Halo as it was for the most part through the first three titles (like myself) and those who have come later and/or enjoy the new changes to the multiplayer of Halo. I'll keep it short as possible.

My idea is to move sprint to a base trait or armor ability that is used to enhance the experience of Big Team Battle gametypes on the large Halo maps intended for teams of 8 (or perhaps more in the next Halo), as well as being a custom game option that you can toggle on/off if you want to create custom gametypes that utilize sprint in whatever ways you can dream up. 

In the base Halo multiplayer experience, I.E. gametypes with teams of 4 players or less, you will be playing without sprint on small to medium sized maps designed without sprint in mind.

These days I am mostly playing Halo 1 and 2 on XBC. Whenever I find myself messing around on maps like Coag or Waterworks, I occasionly make a long journey on foot across these maps and for the first time in my life, actually WANTING to have the option to sprint in Halo. In past Halos, you got around big maps in two ways.

1. Teleporters.

2. Vehicles.

Now, I have absolutely no problems with this at all as someone who grew up playing big maps in this way. However, now that sprint has been introduced and used twice in the last two consecutive titles, I feel using it in big maps with large teams as well as easily switched on in custom options is a good middle ground to land on for the future of the series.

Halo 5 should be a game as similar to Halo 2 as possible, with smaller maps, no personal loadouts, no armor abilities but possibly with some sort of pickup allowing people to use some equipment. Like in Halo 3, just make it better.

I wouldn't even mind it if Sprint was able to be used once per life. It would make things better IMO, having to savor it for the right time.

Halo 5 should be a game as similar to Halo 2 as possible, with smaller maps, no personal loadouts, no armor abilities but possibly with some sort of pickup allowing people to use some equipment. Like in Halo 3, just make it better.

I would suggest Halo 1. But since H1 and H2 were the best Halos by a mile, either one will do. Just a matter of what one prefers.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sprint only works with games with super fast kill times IMO, halo should just abandon the concept of sprint. 

Edit: Unless they find some way to balance it, which actually works out pretty well, sprint should be gone.

Whilst I'm bitterly disappointed that it now looks like we can only push for either a compromise or a toggle option, there's one important thing that should be considered:

Halo, back when it was actually Halo, (CE-3) never had sprint, and guess what? It never needed it either. Anyone who looked at those games and thought: "You know, sprint would make these games so much better" should have been sent to a mental asylum because that clearly wasn't the case. So why do we need it at all? Because "all modern shooters" have it? I don't buy that at all. Halo went downhill in popularity the moment it tried to be a "modern shooter" (CoD) and is still in decline.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I would suggest Halo 1. But since H1 and H2 were the best Halos by a mile, either one will do. Just a matter of what one prefers.

I said Halo 2 because of it's ranking and matchmaking. I agree that both were amazing though.

Appreciate the feedback guys. I'm just trying to figure a way to work with 343i to allow them to keep sprint if they want to in a way that doesn't ruin the 4v4 or less gameplay that we all want back.

Obviously no sprint period is the optimal solution, this to me seems like a more practical one.

I would prefer sprint in Halo dies a quick death in the next Halo (except as a custom game option) but I think it's more realistic it will be included in some way. I think my idea will at least keep it from ruining small maps and 4v4 gameplay. Just keep sprint away from the base arena gameplay.

I agree. On maps like simplex and onyx, I tend to only use sprint in very short bursts, and sometimes not at all, although on larger maps like adrift, I use it all the time. Maybe have sprint as an aa with thrust and rotate the two depending on map size? I mean yeah, no sprint is ideal, but I think sprint is here to stay

Sprint only works with games with super fast kill times IMO, halo should just abandon the concept of sprint. 

Edit: Unless they find some way to balance it, which actually works out pretty well, sprint should be gone.

I've always wondered what would happen if they made it so sprinting had a long start up an slow down speed. Think of it like a car, you have to build up momentum but there is risk in using it due to the slow start/stop. That way you can cover large distances faster but the slower start speed makes it less easily abused to escape silly decisions.

Whilst I'm bitterly disappointed that it now looks like we can only push for either a compromise or a toggle option, there's one important thing that should be considered:

Halo, back when it was actually Halo, (CE-3) never had sprint, and guess what? It never needed it either. Anyone who looked at those games and thought: "You know, sprint would make these games so much better" should have been sent to a mental asylum because that clearly wasn't the case. So why do we need it at all? Because "all modern shooters" have it? I don't buy that at all. Halo went downhill in popularity the moment it tried to be a "modern shooter" (CoD) and is still in decline.

Thank god someone understands what I am trying to say. There should be no toggle option it should either have it or not simply because it is a game changing mechanic. I can't begin to explain how much more fun no sprint is.

I agree. On maps like simplex and onyx, I tend to only use sprint in very short bursts, and sometimes not at all, although on larger maps like adrift, I use it all the time. Maybe have sprint as an aa with thrust and rotate the two depending on map size? I mean yeah, no sprint is ideal, but I think sprint is here to stay

Next game I will be taking the "It's either me or sprint approach :D"|

Maybe have two loadouts, one with sprint and one with thruster. 

I hope they do a ranked social split and have ranked playlists with no sprint and small maps, and social is sprint and big maps. 

Sprint only works with games with super fast kill times IMO

Ding.

I thought about the idea of maybe having a flagnum while sprinting, but at the end of the day, I think I should be able to back up at the same speed as the kid running sword or shotgun. Realism be damned, we are playing a game with a shield made of LIGHT, realism has NEVER been one of Halo's finer points. Make it play well first.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ding.

I thought about the idea of maybe having a flagnum while sprinting, but at the end of the day, I think I should be able to back up at the same speed as the kid running sword or shotgun. Realism be damned, we are playing a game with a shield made of LIGHT, realism has NEVER been one of Halo's finer points. Make it play well first.

This was so apparent after I played the game Bulletstorm which has fast killtimes with automatic precision weapons.. Sprint works in it because you can get caught and punished (Even though it's against bots, still makes the point apparent). With Halo's killtimes and people running away it's such a frustrating experience.. but the noobier players are using that as a reason why sprint is good (Being able to run away after making a dumb play)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ok, I will play the devil's advocate as well...because I like a good debate.

Ways to improve sprint in Halo:

1) Faster Kill Times - Use H:CE as the base with significantly faster kill times for the primary rifles.

2) Slower sprint speed - I believe it is around 170% currently. Reduce speed to 140%.

3) Shorter Sprint duration - reduced by 30%

4) De-Sprint - get knocked out of sprint when shot. Think descoping for sprint (someone else gave me this idea)

5) Raise Weapon Instantly after Sprinting - make sprint not just a defensive ability. The delay to raise your weapon just feels clunky as it is right now.

6) Smaller Maps - the above improvement will allow for smaller maps again with faster gameplay.

Arguments against sprint. These are the 3 big ones that we always hear:

1) Get out if Jail free card - De-sprint would help immensely with this.

2) It is solely a defensive ability - immediately raising your weapons would help this

3) it destroys map control - slower sprint speeds and duration will help greatly with this.

And

4) Sprint just isn't Halo - I can't argue against nostalgia :)

Ok, I will play the devil's advocate as well...because I like a good debate.

Ways to improve sprint in Halo:

1) Faster Kill Times - Use H:CE as the base with significantly faster kill times for the primary rifles.

2) Slower sprint speed - I believe it is around 170% currently. Reduce speed to 140%.

3) Shorter Sprint duration - reduced by 30%

4) De-Sprint - get knocked out of sprint when shot. Think descoping for sprint (someone else gave me this idea)

5) Raise Weapon Instantly after Sprinting - make sprint not just a defensive ability. The delay to raise your weapon just feels clunky as it is right now.

6) Smaller Maps - the above improvement will allow for smaller maps again with faster gameplay.

Arguments against sprint. These are the 3 big ones that we always hear:

1) Get out if Jail free card - De-sprint would help immensely with this.

2) It is solely a defensive ability - immediately raising your weapons would help this

3) it destroys map control - slower sprint speeds and duration will help greatly with this.

And

4) Sprint just isn't Halo - I can't argue against nostalgia :)

Check. Check. Check. Checkmate.

How is that checkmate? I like that proposal, I think that might work. Honestly, I really want to make sprint work, and I think it can.

what about allow sprinting but also allow shooting whilst sprinting? or it doesnt even have to be 'sprinting', it could be like the spartan's got activateable booster packs or roller blades or some shit.

Ways to improve sprint:

1. Remove it....

2. Make Halo.

3. Profit

That should be 343's design philosophy for the next Halo.

Its a nice fantasy that both Spartan Warfare and Halo can coexist in one game, but you would have to be moronic to suggest sprint only for half of a MP game then have the other half completely different. You literally only have to bump up the base movement speed by 10-15 percent where it currently is (110) and you dont need sprint in Halo, its meant to be a medium-paced R+G shooter not the cluster-fuck it currently is.

Nobody should be crying if they cant get to top mid on Ragnarok in 2-2.5 sprint duration's in BTB, In WHAT BTB game can you sprint to the middle in 6 seconds  besides Halo? Back in my day Bloodgulch that shit was impressive because it was a HUGE canyon, Waterworks that map you could literally get lost on, BTB is SUPPOSED to have huge maps not play like a 4v4 DM-style game. You cant do that shit in Battlefield or PS2, the movement speed for BTB was fine as it was. Use a vehicle, teleporter, lift,  or whatever if you want to do that, otherwise shut your ADD ass up and learn what BTB means. 

Otherwise in 4v4 its literally laughable how bad it is, they basically took something perfect(Halo's movement) and nerfed the crap out of MC so they could introduce stupid shit like sprint and AA's and it makes me so mad IMO. They literally ruined Halo's core mechanics and pace so they could introduce their dumb-ass ideas.

• Upvote (+1) 3

While sprint shooting, the reticule could bounce up and down making aiming harder. It's a trade off, faster less accurate or slower more accurate. That would take skill both knowing when to sprint and how effective you are as well