Sign in to follow this  
Bofox

Quinn Del Hoyo has been promoted to lead designer.

I think they should simply focus on depth and smooth gameplay rather than complexity. That's about all I ask for from Quinn/everyone at 343 at this point. I really feel like their most glaring mistakes stem from mistaking complexity for depth on a basic level. A great example is how convoluted the controls and maps are in H5 and they pretend it adds movement depth but the entirety of the maps plus the movement options are designed to function roughly exactly like it did before while looking different with the real difference coming in needing to press multiple buttons to simply move around. That's not depth. Its just pointlessly complex.

Meh, I don't really find the movement in H5 all that complex tbh, but to each their own... You're definitely right about the controls being a little iffy though in some instances. Gotta buy an Elite controller just to play the game comfortably... lol

Meh, I don't really find the movement in H5 all that complex tbh, but to each their own... You're definitely right about the controls being a little iffy though in some instances. Gotta buy an Elite controller just to play the game comfortably... lol

Complex as in requiring too many inputs to properly utilize, not the overall skill gap in using each Spartan ability.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Frankie O'Connor and Quinn Del Hoyo are delusional and think that Halo 5 was a success. They ripped off a bunch of naïve kids with their REQ pack scam. Their plan for Halo 6 is a refined Halo 5. They are too stubborn to realize that nobody wants a refined Halo 5. Nobody wants armor/Spartan abilities. Nobody likes Halo 5, which is why nobody plays it. When I say nobody, I mean the millions of players that have left Halo since 343 has taken over. People want real Halo back. Original formula or fuck off. Rifles with depth and non-cluttered weapon sandbox. No game breaking gimmicks, no sprinting/thrusting away like a pussy, just a no BS Halo game where you and your opponent see each other and the more skilled shooter lives. Halo 6, if a refined Halo 5, will sell less than 1 million and cement 343's demise. For this reason alone, I am eager for Halo 6's release.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 2

So if I understand correctly, Tom French is in charge of Multiplayer but Quinn is in charge of both Tom French and every other aspect of the game?

I eagerly await the trailer for Halo 6 just out of completely morbid curiosity.

IF he screws up? lol. What parallel universe are you currently occupying? You realize that he has a history and didn't just pop into existence just now when he got this position, right? The perfectly reasonable cynicism is the direct result of his past work (like the worst Gears of War game, for example) and his public interactions with the community. And the notion that he's more "competitive-minded" sure gave me a chuckle.

I just don't see all his faults like you guys. My focus is elsewhere. Predominantly I see if 343 does one thing, even if its remotely right, TB still doesn't like them. Its almost paradoxal if you really think about it; they want to support competitive Halo, yet hate the company that runs it. But I understand some choices they make aren't choices we see as wise. 

Lets say Quinn is indeed a bad choice. Okay. Then find the best way to voice our wishes to him. Even if you've done it before. He could read all about them and they could influence his decisions. We alone can't change their promotion decisions. And another thing: I haven't played Gears of War in years. I once tried it, but didn't like it. So I really don't know anything of what he did that cause you to tell me he's bad news. 

Bottom line: if he's bad news, then thats..well..bad. Give him our wishes. See how he and their teams work on designing the next multiplayer. But really, if he still shows the incompetence you say he has, then I guess 343's decision is questionable.

I'm 50/50 on their decisions nowadays. 

• Downvote (-1) 6

Then find the best way to voice our wishes to him. Even if you've done it before. He could read all about them and they could influence his decisions.

Let me tell you something about Quinn Del Hoyo(and 343 in general): He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until Halo is dead.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If Quinn left 343 he'd get a job at a major studio quickly. These companies aren't about whether or not people like sprint, or any other competitive complaint. They simply want large game developments to meet deadlines without major fuckups that cost them money.

They simply want large game developments to meet deadlines without major fuckups that cost them money.

Because 343 definitely nails this part...

• Upvote (+1) 7

My Reddit thread is surprisingly one sided

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/6bcptc/quinn_delhoyo_promoted_to_lead_designer/?st=J2RWN9G7&sh=95a6699a

Custom, social and casual community see him as a competitive minded individual so aren't happy and the competitive community aren't happy because we know his idea of competitive is very different in some regards to our ideas.

We're a scapegoat.

I just don't see all his faults like you guys. My focus is elsewhere. Predominantly I see if 343 does one thing, even if its remotely right, TB still doesn't like them. Its almost paradoxal if you really think about it; they want to support competitive Halo, yet hate the company that runs it. But I understand some choices they make aren't choices we see as wise.

Lets say Quinn is indeed a bad choice. Okay. Then find the best way to voice our wishes to him. Even if you've done it before. He could read all about them and they could influence his decisions. We alone can't change their promotion decisions. And another thing: I haven't played Gears of War in years. I once tried it, but didn't like it. So I really don't know anything of what he did that cause you to tell me he's bad news.

Bottom line: if he's bad news, then thats..well..bad. Give him our wishes. See how he and their teams work on designing the next multiplayer. But really, if he still shows the incompetence you say he has, then I guess 343's decision is questionable.

I'm 50/50 on their decisions nowadays.

I'm unfamiliar with brick walls. Everyone keeps saying they're really hard, but I haven't seen it for myself. So I suggest we all keep headbutting this brick wall until it falls down.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I just see things differently. I guess I'm not in the hardcore competitive mindset like you all. Oh well. You might be right in the long run. I just don't know.

I just see things differently. I guess I'm not in the hardcore competitive mindset like you all. Oh well. You might be right in the long run. I just don't know.

There's just a very clear history there. Some of the things he's done like bringing pro's in to help with H5 and coming here and chatting with us about map layout changes are extremely cool and give me hope, but then I see his history of decisions that come from his own mind like Gears Judgment and H5 at launch, and the snarky way he interacts with people on twitter regarding shit that matters, and it makes it really hard to be optimistic. Trust me, I want to be. I bet I would like Quinn a lot if I actually met him. But the dude is misguided about Halo. My hope is that seeing the results of H5 and being around the pro team will help point him in the right direction.

• Upvote (+1) 5

There's just a very clear history there. Some of the things he's done like bringing pro's in to help with H5 and coming here and chatting with us about map layout changes are extremely cool and give me hope, but then I see his history of decisions that come from his own mind like Gears Judgment and H5 at launch, and the snarky way he interacts with people on twitter regarding shit that matters, and it makes it really hard to be optimistic. Trust me, I want to be. I bet I would like Quinn a lot if I actually met him. But the dude is misguided about Halo. My hope is that seeing the results of H5 and being around the pro team will help point him in the right direction.

Ok. Gotta agree there. Makes more sense now.

• Upvote (+1) 2