Sign in to follow this  
Bofox

Quinn Del Hoyo has been promoted to lead designer.

I just heard the news and wanted to get some thoughts on this. I personally think it's a terrible idea, but I'd like to hear some other opinions.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The biggest request the competitive community has, is to be listened to.

Actually listened to, not heard and disregarded. 

This community wants Halo to be the best it can, and requests changes that will reflect that.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Oh boy. Here we go.

Quinn, please keep an open mind towards the people that have been playing this series for 16 years and can articulate what makes it good. That's all I ask.

That is clearly too much to ask of them, unfortunately. It's "343 Halo" now. What other people think/the halo's that came before, don't matter as long as they like what they make. Our pleas the last 4 or more years have (mostly) fallen upon deaf ears. I am not expecting that to change anytime soon.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hmm...yeah not sure if good or bad. 

Lets see what he does. Lead Designer for what specifically? The whole game? Mutliplayer (he was Senior Multiplayer Designer in Halo 4)? 

people in that r/halo thread keep affirming people can change, his ideals don't seem any different than in gears:judgment or H5; No focus on social gameplay, a want to make the game competitive.. without actually making the game competitive, sums him up in my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Isn't Quinn the guy who everyone said would be good because in one of his bios it said he had an extensive competitive gaming background in Starcraft,Halo CE, and Quake(idk if it was that) or something? The only thing I like about Quinn is that he clearly prefers a faster-pace game and he is a good communicator, not sure if H5 MP's design was mostly his doing(Halo:combat Animations evolved as I call it) but I hope it doesn't carry over into H6 or itll be the first Halo I dont buy. I never understood how these people who must of grew up playing the same competitive FPS I did make such horrible game mechanic decisions contrary to the games they grew up playing that literally spit in the face of what a quality competitive FPS should be. To me once your a hardcore competitive gamer, you always remain one and think like one unless they all just become casual yes men when they come to work on Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think they should simply focus on depth and smooth gameplay rather than complexity. That's about all I ask for from Quinn/everyone at 343 at this point. I really feel like their most glaring mistakes stem from mistaking complexity for depth on a basic level. A great example is how convoluted the controls and maps are in H5 and they pretend it adds movement depth but the entirety of the maps plus the movement options are designed to function roughly exactly like it did before while looking different with the real difference coming in needing to press multiple buttons to simply move around. That's not depth. Its just pointlessly complex.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Oh boy. Here we go.

Quinn, please keep an open mind towards the people that have been playing this series for 16 years and can articulate what makes it good. That's all I ask.

hello friend I've been playing halo since halo 1 and I think sprint is a good thing!!
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

hello friend I've been playing halo since halo 1 and I think sprint is a good thing!!

I've been playing since the silent cartographer demo, and think armor lock takes skill! 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lets not hate him just yet. He still gets a chance. Then if he screws up, you all have valid reasons to.

I'm pretty sure he's played as long as long time vets have, just he's more competitive minded. Not always a good thing, but not completely a bad thing either. 

Yeah, lets find ways to share our thoughts to him in a professional manner. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Can't wait to be able to go prone in Halo 6!  Jk, I stopped buying products from 343i a long time ago Lol

• Upvote (+1) 3

The moment I see an ability or sprint, this will be the first Halo game I absolutely never purchase. Not even going to waste my time.

Same. I bought Halo 5 used, but I won't even buy Halo 6 used. I won't bother with Halo at all.  

• Upvote (+1) 7

I don't have a deep disdain for people who like that stuff in Halo. Whatever. It's just that it ruined what made the game unique and pretty much blurred the lines between any other Modern FPS on today's market. 

Halo isn't special anymore and that's why millions of people stopped playing it, making content for it, etc. 

When you spend more time pressing buttons to do abilities and traversing the map than you do actually shooting in a First Person Shooter... you tend to lose interest pretty quick.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Lol

How

The guy has bungled xbox's two biggest franchises beyond belief.

• Upvote (+1) 3

*looks at tab*

*says teambeyond*

*looks again*

*nope. Still doesn't say halowaypoint*

Oh. You're trolling. Good one. You had me there for a minute.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lets not hate him just yet. He still gets a chance. Then if he screws up, you all have valid reasons to.

I'm pretty sure he's played as long as long time vets have, just he's more competitive minded. Not always a good thing, but not completely a bad thing either. 

Yeah, lets find ways to share our thoughts to him in a professional manner. 

IF he screws up? lol. What parallel universe are you currently occupying? You realize that he has a history and didn't just pop into existence just now when he got this position, right? The perfectly reasonable cynicism is the direct result of his past work (like the worst Gears of War game, for example) and his public interactions with the community. And the notion that he's more "competitive-minded" sure gave me a chuckle.

• Upvote (+1) 8