Genesis

Questions about the Current State of the Game.

So I'm getting tired of playing unfinished shooters on the PC such as Battlegrounds and H1Z1, so I'm trying to find a game to fill the void. CS is not my cup of tea and since Halo previously was my bae from the H2 up to Reach v7 eras. 

I guess I should ask some questions that I'm curious how long time competitive players feel about the current state of Halo 5:

So I played H4 for 3 months and quickly figured out that the game was not competitively viable. I despised sprint from reach and wasn't happy that they introduced it back into H4 plus other abilities and thats about were I fell off. Since H5 features sprint, clamber, and other movement options that I'm not accustomed to;

Do you enjoy or feel like it fits in this game competitively? Does it feel good or clunky compared to previous games?

Maps were another huge issue that developed in Reach, I played reach competitively and hated bloom, sprint, and abilities. But also it sucked that most of the vanilla maps were not competitively viable which resorted to a lot of forge maps. IMO I enjoyed watching and playing Reach v7 but once H4 came out I could clearly see that they were wanting to steer this game another direction instead of the traditional 4v4 sized maps. And the 4v4 maps were, to be honest, awful. 

Do you like the maps that are used? Are the maps well thought out?  

I enjoy watching some of these matches at the HCS Daytona and noticed how much the game has changed. I want to have something to improve at, so how is the ranking system? Does this game have replay-ability? Are the playlist popular? I remember I would get bored in Reach because of no ranking system, my teams never had communication or were new to the scene. 

Finally, is it worth buying in your opinion or are we banking on H6 at this point? Lel

Thanks homies for your answers, I member how rewarding H2/H3 felt with its gameplay and ranking system and am looking for something to fill that void that I feel like most games today miss. 

h5 is like a halo 4 with bandages on it. the ranking system is alright but last time i checked it still matched party vs solo players. the armor abilities all feel like gimmicks. and the aiming is fucked up. 

we all have no hope for halo 6. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

If you pretend it's not called Halo, it's a decent game. But theres no way around the shitty aiming. It can strike at any time. I have a lot of fun with it, and I think it's a good value, but it certainly doesn't feel like H2-v7. Its just different, and if you can embrace that before you even start then you'll be in a much healthier place.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If you pretend it's not called Halo, it's a decent game.

But theres no way around the shitty aiming. It can strike at any time.

Huh.

It's mediocre as a Halo game and it's worse than pretty much all of the games it wishes it was. I have no idea how it can be argued it would be decent when literally no one would bother making that argument to begin with if "Halo" wasn't on the box.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It's easily the most competitively viable shooter on consoles right now. Obviously it plays pretty differently from classic Halo, but if you liked Reach, I would say Halo 5 is a huge step up from how it played. Though even with sprint (and all the other design pillars of Halo that sprint has infected), Halo 5 plays closest to classic Halo than any other game on the market right now (save obviously for the MCC).

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's easily the most competitively viable shooter on consoles right now. Obviously it plays pretty differently from classic Halo, but if you liked Reach, I would say Halo 5 is a huge step up from how it played. Though even with sprint (and all the other design pillars of Halo that sprint has infected), Halo 5 plays closest to classic Halo than any other game on the market right now (save obviously for the MCC).

Closest to classic Halo? That's quite a stretch.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Gears is more competitive.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Halo5 is fun. I think You can argue that it shares more with the original trilogy than anything else post trilogy, but the implementation of sprint and clamber will severely challenge that argument.

The aiming is shitty, but it appears a fix is incoming

The matchmaking is rough due to low pop and no party considerations currently in the algorithm

The ghost melee bug has somehow made its way back into the game.

The HCS playlist has made the game more fun that it's ever been

The file size is ridiculous

It's ok. I'd buy it- it's gotta be cheap by now. NOTE: you'd still be getting an unfinished shooter.

Let me put it another way:

Do you like the idea of essentially pressing button combos of 5 plus inputs to navigate a map at a BASIC competitive level? If so, I hope you claw or have a scuf/elite controller. If not, you're gonna have a bad time.

Do you like playing a glorified $60 game of Rock Paper Scissors where your mechanical skill is placed in the backseat and luck of the draw matters more?

Do you like the idea of being shit on off spawn by literally any weapon placed on the map because you couldn't reach your TtK/Ease of Use upgrade in time? If you can't decide, just think about default Halo 2/3 settings (SMG/AR starts) and how THAT made you feel. Halo 5 suffers from the same problems, albeit from a different end of the same spectrum.

Do you like the idea where the very act of aiming is a roll of the dice? If so, get your d20 out and have a blast. (343 "says" they have a fix incoming, but we all know what 343 says and what 343 does are 2 entirely different things.)

Do you like the idea of a game taking up up to 100+ gigs of storage space for no rhyme or reason?

Here's a few rapid fire ones:

No achievement based cosmetics, all RNG?

Broken, team of 4 oriented ranking system that spits on solo play?

Mediocre at best, straight up cancerous at worse map design?

How people like this game is beyond me, but more power to you if you like all that shit.

• Upvote (+1) 3