Simplicityyy

What are the most visually stunning games you've ever played?

Half-Life? lol. Bioshock was always just the awkward, dieselpunk bastard child of System Shock. Do people keep comparing Prey to Half-Life because they are unaware of its most blatant influence?

Both have been thrown around by publications. System Shock is definitely the progenitor of the genre, but my thought process was that HL is more popular and more people would understand what kind of gameplay I'm talking about easier. I also use "vein" as a general term, just enough to get the point across, not enough to get specific.

Both have been thrown around by publications. System Shock is definitely the progenitor of the genre, but my thought process was that HL is more popular and more people would understand what kind of gameplay I'm talking about easier. I also use "vein" as a general term, just enough to get the point across, not enough to get specific.

I suppose. Prey definitely plays some homage to HL, particularly in the opening section, but it's a very different game overall. Prey is a first person survival horror/RPG with guns. Half-Life is a linear FPS with some horror elements. I don't think the comparison works that well.

I suppose. Prey definitely plays some homage to HL, particularly in the opening section, but it's a very different game overall. Prey is a first person survival horror/RPG with guns. Half-Life is a linear FPS with some horror elements. I don't think the comparison works that well.

I mean you're not wrong and I'm not trying to prove that you are. I'm just trying to provide reasons to my comparison. The opening does have a good Half Life vibe to it, but there are some very stark differences as you noted the RPG elements to Prey (which is why I also threw out Bioshock).

Anyways to get this back on track.

Final Fantasy XIII - Say what you want about the game, but its was pretty visually stunning for its time and holds up pretty well today.

Final-Fantasy-XIII-Screenshot-3.jpg

Journey - Was pretty dope (this is the PS4 port though)

ji8cmDd.jpg

H2A - May have not been the game we wanted, but it sure did look pretty

Halo-2-Anniversary-Zanzibar-Screenshot-1

Crysis 1 - "If you can run Crysis, you can run anything"

394da4d4fe1ef4c.jpg

TLoZ Wind Waker - Cel Shaded games usually age well.

gfs_50820_2_7.jpg

Anyways to get this back on track.

Final Fantasy XIII - Say what you want about the game, but its was pretty visually stunning for its time and holds up pretty well today.

Final-Fantasy-XIII-Screenshot-3.jpg

Journey - Was pretty dope (this is the PS4 port though)

ji8cmDd.jpg

H2A - May have not been the game we wanted, but it sure did look pretty

Halo-2-Anniversary-Zanzibar-Screenshot-1

Crysis 1 - "If you can run Crysis, you can run anything"

394da4d4fe1ef4c.jpg

TLoZ Wind Waker - Cel Shaded games usually age well.

gfs_50820_2_7.jpg

Thats why I also mentioned Halo 2 Anniversary. :)

Lately I've thought of checking out Journey. The musical score is really good.

Thats why I also mentioned Halo 2 Anniversary. :)

Lately I've thought of checking out Journey. The musical score is really good.

Its interesting. I probably won't ever play it again, but it was definitely worth that single play through. The music is definitely one of the highlights of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its interesting. I probably won't ever play it again, but it was definitely worth that single play through. The music is definitely one of the highlights of the game.

If I did chose to play it, it would just add to the increasing pile of games I'm busy buying or replaying. 

Witcher 3 

Came here to say this. Had some really great lighting and generally fantastic design. All around beautiful.

Uncharted 4 is also amazing, though it's been said several times already. Naughty Dog is unparalleled at making gorgeous environments and fantastic character models.

Controversial opinion time: A lot of people are giving shoutouts to Halo 1 and Halo 3 for looking great in their time, but I had honestly never been very impressed with any Halo games visually until Halo: Reach. I thought it was the first time that the character models actually looked good, and I felt that the art direction really came together. Of course, it seems to be everybody's least favorite Halo game except me, so maybe my opinion sucks.

1. Ocarina of time was the first n64 game I saw. After years of 2d gaming as a kid the jump to 3d was mind blowing.

2. Mass effect 1. The facial expressions and the jump to HD was amazing.

In terms of visuals, I remember playing Bad Company 1 & 2 and remaining impressed and awed the entire time.

I have over 1600 hours in those two games and no regrets.

Homeworld was pretty damn good for its time, and Homeworld 2 did well to continue the trends the first game set using the better technology available. 

Halo CE will always be a great looking game to me

Republic Commando also looked great for its time, and its unique gritty-but-Star Wars look that it has helps it look great even today.

As for today's games, I'd say Battlefield 1 is probably at the top.

I remember when I got my first 360 years ago along with Halo 3, the first thing I said about the game when I was young was "Dad these graphics are too good and they hurt my eyes"

• Upvote (+1) 1

Skyrim is beautiful, definitely my favorite looking game. Gravity Rush, and Life is Strange are also quite visually appealing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Graphics and visual fidelity have grown to make games look incredible over the last decade or so. What are the most graphically stunning games you've ever played, or seen, and why are they?

1) Halo 3 (original and MCC version). Still the top dog nearly ten years later. An incredible art style, lighting and shadowing are the reasons why it looks so darn good. Its beginning to age a little due to lower polygon counts compared to today's games, and there's obvious pixelation. The door is open for a new #1, but it will take a LOT for me to admit a new champ.

2) Horizon Zero Dawn. Absolutely beautiful art style; really pumps the most horsepower out of the PS 4. I just wish everything was in 60 FPS. From the color choices to the lighting and shadow, everything pops out. Aloy loooks great too... she's cute :p

3) The Last of Us Remastered. Juuust behind HZD. I noticed some rough polygon counts during my playthrough a couple months ago. A grim and gorgeous art style make Ellie and Joels' journey, not to mention themselves, looks awesome.

4) Battlefield 1. The first time I booted up the prologue level and cutscenes I was shocked, like with HZD. The campaign looks amazing, since it doesn't have to put so many resources to keeping multiplayer running smoothly. And the cutscenes look gorgeous as well.

5) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I last played this game a couple years ago. On Xbox 360 it was good for its time, but on PC I bet it looks stunning. I don't have the remastered Xbox One version. A great artstyle that brings out the nordic inspired countrysides and cities.

6) Halo 2 Anniversary. 343 Industries and Certain Affinity did a stellar job remastering the graphics with better lighting, higher polygon counts, a modern take on its art style. The CGI cinematics by Blur Studios are incredible. THE highest quality cinematics I've ever seen in a game.

7)  (EDIT 7/6/17: I have now finished the whole series) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End. By FAR the best looking Uncharted game, in my opinion. Everything about it is stunning. Nate, Elena, Sully, Rafe, Nadine, and even little Cassie look nearly lifelike in cutscenes. The levels are lush with detailed colors everywhere. 

8) Rise of the Tomb Raider. Much cleaner than the reboot game. The artists made Syria and Siberia look grim, battle torn, and beautiful all at once. Lara looks so good. Best version of her that I've played, in my opinion, given that this was my second TR game.

9) Assassins Creed: Syndicate. My favorite AC game. I thought the developers rebuilt 1868 Victorian Era London beautifully. Just need a better framerate when I look around on the towers! Evie andJacob look quite nice a well.

10) Mirrors Edge: Catalyst. Forget what you say if you don't like the game, but at least admit the futurism looks amazing. So much nicer than the first game, obviously. Great looking cutscenes. The City of Glass' sleek dystopian art style gives the blues, reds, greys and whites a very...wait for it...mirror-like finish.

You know you were correct when someone thinks the same about the games you have played being visually stunning. Oh and I have found Assassins Creed: Syndicate and Uncharted 4 visually wonderful. Every bit is just treat to play.

• Upvote (+1) 1