Sign in to follow this  
Hard Way

"Proven Fix for Heavy Aim Incoming" -Josh Menke

I'll bet you're right it's a spectrum.

Josh does make it sound like they've found a biggie, and fixing that will be good enough to remove heavy aim 90% of the time.

I've just got a new elite controller and I'm really struggling to aim going from the s controller with higher stick tension. So if the fix takes long enough that I can readjust to the elite again I don't mind so much.

I replaced the sticks on the elite controller with standard plastic xbox ones.  The metal ones are slick, but they are so heavy they take longer to return to center.  The tension of the actual thumbstick module on the PCB isn't any different, its the weight of thumbstick itself that makes the difference.

I replaced the sticks on the elite controller with standard plastic xbox ones. The metal ones are slick, but they are so heavy they take longer to return to center. The tension of the actual thumbstick module on the PCB isn't any different, its the weight of thumbstick itself that makes the difference.

Honestly it made a big difference. I did manage to add some length to the spring inside one of the thumbstick modules which increased the tension to about 100 grams and it was so unbelievably easy to hit perfects. I did try to modify it to a slightly lower tension but in removing it I killed the controller.

I'm hesitant to mess with my new one in that regard though. I find it really difficult to desolder the lead free stuff on the elite and I'll probably only do that it the future when if the module gets worn out.

I replaced the sticks on the elite controller with standard plastic xbox ones.  The metal ones are slick, but they are so heavy they take longer to return to center.  The tension of the actual thumbstick module on the PCB isn't any different, its the weight of thumbstick itself that makes the difference.

I did the same, my problem with the metal sticks was it felt too loose at the bottom where it connected to the base.  I felt like that looseness + heavy aim made for an even more unbearable problem once you'd played H5 enough.  

On an earlier topic, I don't necessary think the accel curves in H5 are bad.  Like you, I think our impression of them is so skewed because of heavy aim and how it seems to effect us at will, randomly.  On the PC version of H5 I can set any sens and acceleration and get used to it before a full game ends.  You absolutely cannot do that with H5 in its current state on console.

Other than a few tweets from the event, have we heard anything else about the new aiming?

This has probably been said before, but I am now completely confident that Heavy Aim has something to do with the netcode of halo 5.

I have had severe internet problems the last 8-10 months and finally it looks like we managed to find the problem and immediately there is so much less Heavy Aim. I am so happy now :D I can aim!

Now, just get this update out there and we are golden!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I dont want less Heavy Aim I want no heavy aim.

Yeah, we all do! But this proves the point for me that it is somewhat network/netcode related.

Yeah, we all do! But this proves the point for me that it is somewhat network/netcode related.

But it still feels awful in an offline campaign game?

But it still feels awful in an offline campaign game?

The weird thing I have noticed is that my entire Xbox is smoother now when the internet is working. Meaning the menus and such. Like when pressing the Xbox button and navigating to friends or when writing a message. Maybe this can somehow explain why campaign is worse with worse internet? Remember they said before Xbox one launched "that you always had to be online" and "deal with it" and then changed it.

They said its "something about input sampling"

Still waiting for the heavy aim patch :/ No updates according to Josh Menke either. 

At this point I expect it to be part of some big update announced at E3, with the words free slapped all over it for marketing.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, release the aim fix. @@Neighbor No more "Soon™".

• Upvote (+1) 2

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, release the aim fix. @@Neighbor No more "Soon™".

they said they "fixed it" but dont know how to get it out  :kappa:

When 343 fixes something, it means they think they fixed it, and when they do fix it, they don't release it until a month later. Damnit 343 why do you take so long to fix stuff. Other AAA companies would of fixed this issue in a week! You're so incompetent it's ridiculous. It's not the developers fault it's the managing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"As you played, and the more you played, your latency would build up and heavy aim would gradually feel worse. One of the solutions was pressing start actually, before they changed the start screen.

The good news - they told me they were trying to figure out how to refresh that latency constantly in game, and that wasn't on the build we played." -Mikwen

The heavy aim update is scheduled for next week btw.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Like Josh Menke mentioned previously, this update fixes an issue that impacts how aiming feels at some points, and does not change aiming itself

So yeah, as we suspected this will help with the aiming inconsistencies, but the cancerous acceleration curves will be left untouched. Props to 343 for fixing the issue though.

So yeah, as we suspected this will help with the aiming inconsistencies, but the cancerous acceleration curves will be left untouched. Props to 343 for fixing the issue though.

I think the problem is more with heavy aim and not the acceleration curves.  If you've ever played on PC the aiming feels absolutely delightful.  I've tried sensitivities between 2-5 on it and can adjust to each quickly and they feel great.  If your aim is consistent any accel curve can be adjusted too.

• Upvote (+1) 3

No. It shouldn't have been an issue in the first place, it took them WAY too long to acknowledge and address it, and we don't know yet for certain if this "fix" will solve the problem completely or if it will even have a significant impact. Even if the fix does completely remove heavy aim, they absolutely do not deserve props for this.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

343 maybe fixing the broken aiming in their first person shooter over a year and a half after launch. What a great studio. Such value for your money. I feel like I'm stealing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm on Team Props for 343. Better late than never. Especially for a game I play everyday regardless of its issues.

• Downvote (-1) 6