Sign in to follow this  
Hard Way

"Proven Fix for Heavy Aim Incoming" -Josh Menke

You're just too blinded by nostalgia to see how squirrely those aiming systems probably were. You want to copy some Titanfall features? How about wall-running instead? #innovation #immersion #halosdoinggreat #weback :weback:

:simms:

Hell, I just played Halo period for the first time in months last night lol... Almost every game outside of Halo 3 felt god tier.

I'd definitely rock some Halo 4 aiming in Halo 5 lol.

• Upvote (+1) 8

You're just too blinded by nostalgia to see how squirrely those aiming systems probably were. You want to copy some Titanfall features? How about wall-running instead? #innovation #immersion #halosdoinggreat #weback :weback:

:simms:

hahaha, kill me

• Upvote (+1) 1

Heavy aiming is just the stupid inconsistencies that make every game feel different. Even if they fix it we'll still have stupid fucking acceleration curves, this game isn't going to be any better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Heavy aiming is just the stupid inconsistencies that make every game feel different. Even if they fix it we'll still have stupid fucking acceleration curves, this game isn't going to be any better.

What is wrong with the acceleration curves? 

They are shit and was changed for no reason. Read the long quoted post from ghostayame on page 2

• Upvote (+1) 1

They're awful? Different than any other game I've ever played?

There's no reason I can aim fine in Doom and Titanfall on console when I move 10x faster in those games than I do in Halo

This.

Remember when they fixed the aiming before?

Yep, and I KNEW that they missed the point entirely... all they did was soften the acceleration curve. Totally saw it coming...

The difference is, the acceleration curve is manageable... play enough and you'll get used to it. The aiming settings can even be tweaked to somewhat negate the harshness of the curve... but the heavy aim bug strikes randomly and cannot be effectively managed.

I've had things go haywire mid-match and it's like why even bother trying at that point? One game you post good numbers and 70% accuracy, then the next you go 2 and 12 because you struggle to hit a single shot. Complete bogus.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wonder how long we have to wait until they push the update out. I assume if Josh is going on twitter talking about how they have a fix then it should be almost available to push out.. 

I wonder how long we have to wait until they push the update out. I assume if Josh is going on twitter talking about how they have a fix then it should be almost available to push out.. 

He literally said he has no ETA and that pushing out the fix is not an easy task (or something along those lines). I think an optimist approach would be within the month. Ideally, they'd have it in before Daytona but certainly before Summer pro-league.

wait.. is it not input lag that makes games feel off? 

wait.. is it not input lag that makes games feel off? 

its everything really, the whole aiming system needs a rehaul

Stole this from the HCS thread.  new thread from Josh about heavy aim:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/matchmaking-feedback-update-%E2%80%93-may-8/b4515968-1a37-4f8e-aa40-e4593697cc74/posts

We identified one possible issue that may be causing aiming to feel sluggish.
It’s a state that players can get into
It’s a temporary state

That seems to jive with most people's experiences.  Shitty for a while better for a while. some nights are great, others hit or miss, others totally dogshit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Stole this from the HCS thread.  new thread from Josh about heavy aim:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/matchmaking-feedback-update-%E2%80%93-may-8/b4515968-1a37-4f8e-aa40-e4593697cc74/posts

That seems to jive with most people's experiences.  Shitty for a while better for a while. some nights are great, others hit or miss, others totally dogshit.

i call bullshit

temporary? The aiming feels shitty everytime i play the game, since day 1. Somedays it feels more responsive, but its still horrible.

• Upvote (+1) 5

i call bullshit

temporary? The aiming feels shitty everytime i play the game, since day 1. Somedays it feels more responsive, but its still horrible.

From my point of view there are definitely games where the aiming feels right and i feel like a God. But that is nowhere near the majority of my games. So I think that temporary state is in effect more than the normal state of the game is.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i call bullshit

Yes, temporary.

If you aren't experiencing heavy aim basically 'Turn on' and 'Turn off' than what you hate about the aiming isn't going to get fixed.  The accel curves in this game seem weird too, which i totally agree with, but thats a separate issue.  And honestly, until this heavy aim is fixed it will be hard to give a true judgement to the accel curves since they seem to be changing all the time currently.

And temporary is not specific at all. its just to point out the on and off nature of the problem which has been a consistent note since day 1.

Yes, temporary.

If you aren't experiencing heavy aim basically 'Turn on' and 'Turn off' than what you hate about the aiming isn't going to get fixed. The accel curves in this game seem weird too, which i totally agree with, but thats a separate issue. And honestly, until this heavy aim is fixed it will be hard to give a true judgement to the accel curves since they seem to be changing all the time currently.

And temporary is not specific at all. its just to point out the on and off nature of the problem which has been a consistent note since day 1.

I'll bet it has to do with the way the game is rendering graphics on the map. The resolution is dynamic, not only in that it can fluctuate as a whole, but that items in your line of view are rendered differently based on how close they are to you since the xbone is underpowered. Probably why close range engagements feel terrible and the aiming can go from sluggish to squirly for no reason.

The thing that worries me is they're testing it against their own bar for quality. Under that bar they've put forge maps into matchmaking that had unplayable fps for some people and left them there for months. They've held global events with $1m and above prize pools but not ensured the aiming mechanics feel the same for all the teams. MCC.

Saying heavy aim has a proven fix is one thing but saying a cause has been identified and now it's just being tested to meet 343 quality standards means very little. I'm not trying to be pessimistic but this is how I'm sure a lot of us feel after halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'll bet it has to do with the way the game is rendering graphics on the map. The resolution is dynamic, not only in that it can fluctuate as a whole, but that items in your line of view are rendered differently based on how close they are to you since the xbone is underpowered. Probably why close range engagements feel terrible and the aiming can go from sluggish to squirly for no reason.

None of that is new and all of them work just fine in other games. Not saying that isn't the issue, just that there is no way to make that call seeing as how games have been doing LoD (Level of Detail) since forever and the dynamic resolution works perfectly in other games with no degradation of aiming quality. 

Disagree... fixing auto aim would allow you the consistency to actually acclimate to the acceleration curves.

Aiming will still have issues, but there will be an immediate improvement.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Disagree... fixing auto aim would allow you the consistency to actually acclimate to the acceleration curves.

Aiming will still have issues, but there will be an immediate improvement.

Right and its possible (though unlikely, i'll admit) that the curves are fine and we actually have no idea what they are truly like depending on how pervasive this issue is.  "Temporary" is a pretty open ended description of time. Its also possible that this issue is more of a 'Spectrum' than a binary on/off problem. we have to wait and see i guess...

Right and its possible (though unlikely, i'll admit) that the curves are fine and we actually have no idea what they are truly like depending on how pervasive this issue is. "Temporary" is a pretty open ended description of time. Its also possible that this issue is more of a 'Spectrum' than a binary on/off problem. we have to wait and see i guess...

I'll bet you're right it's a spectrum.

Josh does make it sound like they've found a biggie, and fixing that will be good enough to remove heavy aim 90% of the time.

I've just got a new elite controller and I'm really struggling to aim going from the s controller with higher stick tension. So if the fix takes long enough that I can readjust to the elite again I don't mind so much.