Sign in to follow this  
Hard Way

"Proven Fix for Heavy Aim Incoming" -Josh Menke

Its kind of hard to explain but the sens curves etc aren't the same thing as joining a server and your aim feeling like its suddenly on 2 sens instead of the 5 that you play on. They were/are both fucked up but they're different issues.

Many peoples' complaints from day one have been "the aiming is fucked". At no point did anyone have a handle on why it was fucked. This new revelation (along with the XIM stuff) is our first peek into why that might be. 

The sensitivity and acceleration features didn't help anyone or solve anything. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Nearly 2 years it took... this game has had a bug that affects player stats, their ability to consistently progress and improve at the game... tournaments with large prize pools have been on the line... constant outcry, and up until now, it was basically written off as conspiracy theory lol. Absolutely crazy... asinine really.

This is a huge win for the competitive community.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Nearly 2 years it took... this game has had a bug that affects player stats, their ability to consistently progress and improve at the game... tournaments with large prize pools have been on the line... constant outcry, and up until now, it was basically written off as conspiracy theory lol. Absolutely crazy... asinine really.

This is a huge win for the competitive community.

i can online imagine what integral thing they are going to fuck up with Halo 6

Okay, IF this new fix is going to fix "heavy aim", then the aiming will still be one of the worst I've ever played on. No "fix" so far has done anything but make it more annoying and convoluted as to what settings to play at. Either they fix the aiming and make it feel like it did in the beta/other Halo games or there is no point to even trying to play Halo 5 again. 

1. i'm sure the aiming problems and how it works are more complicated than we know 

2. this should not matter as 343 intentionally changed the aiming and made objective changes that i'm gonna assume they have documented or know of. the fact that its taken this long is either proof that they are incompetent at figuring out how it happens, or that they willfully didn't care and played dumb for the first year.

i don't know what other conclusions you could draw from this. i for one will be extremely happy if this is fixed, but i just don't get how its taken this long when THEY know what they changed.

• Upvote (+1) 2

1. i'm sure the aiming problems and how it works are more complicated than we know 

2. this should not matter as 343 intentionally changed the aiming and made objective changes that i'm gonna assume they have documented or know of. the fact that its taken this long is either proof that they are incompetent at figuring out how it happens, or that they willfully didn't care and played dumb for the first year.

i don't know what other conclusions you could draw from this. i for one will be extremely happy if this is fixed, but i just don't get how its taken this long when THEY know what they changed.

No dude, coding is hard and every new line of code breaks the one before it. Give 343 a break, they are trying super hard. 

/s

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really wonder if heavy-aim is less of an issue for west-coast / mid-western population?  I mean, the 343 dev's are all in Washington so would only ever notice it them self when they played elsewhere on travel.  This would also explain why some people simply don't complain about it near as much (Snipedown for instance).  I live in Georgia and heavy-aim slaps me in the face on the regular so I too am confused how it took so long for them to acknowledge it unless there was something else at play here messing up the tests/evidence.

I live in Washington state and have had zero heavy aim in 5000+ games

• Downvote (-1) 1

i'm not even trying to shit on 343 at this point. it just seems to me that these are the only two conclusions you can really take away from this when you KNOW they have access to the source code and all the documentation they did to this game.

No dude, coding is hard and every new line of code breaks the one before it. Give 343 a break, they are trying super hard.

/s

Don't think anyone's giving them a pass, just being factual.

Unfortunately it's not an easy problem to fix. Still shouldn't have taken a year to fix though.

Normally you would have a point but we have a statement from a 343 employee saying they fundamentally changed the aiming system. Excuse me for not giving fucking 343 the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this.

Feel like I am taking crazy pills with all the people giving 343 a pass on this.

I mean you can do what you want, but the 'fundamental change' you are talking about, as described, was more or less simply changing values, not changing how samples are processed.

It looks like whatever is impacting aiming had nothing to do with their post-beta attempts to tweak aiming, but is a flaw with how inputs are handled in general. That's not an excuse (its probably a worse problem to have) but i just goes to show how silly it it to jump to conclusions.

It's really annoying when people equate being rational to "giving a pass".

343 fucked up. No one disputes that. it's not ok. But to make assumptions about this issue's timeline based on the beta doesn't make any sense.

It's quite likely that the issue was present in their codebase before the beta was even released, but the beta was an older build, sliced just so that players could give feedback on mechanics.

IMO, the sort of input tests that went on in the Heavy Aim thread should happen with every game before they are shipped... especially games with competitive ambition. Quality Assurance.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Okay, IF this new fix is going to fix "heavy aim", then the aiming will still be one of the worst I've ever played on. No "fix" so far has done anything but make it more annoying and convoluted as to what settings to play at. Either they fix the aiming and make it feel like it did in the beta/other Halo games or there is no point to even trying to play Halo 5 again.

I hope they don't make it feel like Halo 3.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I hate h3 aiming more than h5. It's is so fucking clunky, and it was made worse since the 360 controllers were so small

I hate h3 aiming more than h5. It's is so fucking clunky, and it was made worse since the 360 controllers were so small

I agree I can handle heavy aim more than I can H3 aim.

I mean how many different things did they fuck up with the aiming anyways? I don't even know how its possible. To need this many patches that each address something different about the aiming to make it not awful is actually insane. I hate it because this is not a problem for anyone. It wasn't even a problem for 343. Not in H4. Not in MCC. Not in the beta. HOW do they do this?

CdYqSyoXIAALpWm.jpg

I've never been bothered by the aiming in Halo 5, it always felt like something was different but it never really drove me insane to the point of disliking the game, however...

• [*]Regardless of who and how frequently it happened, I would absolutely NOT consider this issue to be "acknowledged" by 343. If they have publicly acknowledged it, I would say that only happened within the past 3-4 months, and extremely intermittently, which is absurd.

[*]No first-person shooter (that has now been played for upwards of $4,000,000) should have a fundamental problem with aiming when the game launches, let alone two years after release. If you couldn't aim properly in Overwatch or Call of Duty, people would lose their minds.

Quick sidenote but there was actually an aiming issue with overwatch that blizzard took forever to fix.With that out of the way I can 100% agree with you that the aiming in halo 5 feels very different.Halo 5 was unfortunately the first halo game I played,and after that I went on a classic binge bought MCC,halo 2,3,and reach.I'm still considering possibly buying nhe CE.One of the first things I noticed when I played MCC was how different the aiming felt.I windmilled way more in halo 5 than any other halo game.The best way to describe it is aiming in previous halos feels smooth even during a firefight,halo 5 most certainly doesn't.

It's definitely complicated, but it's not as easy as going in and fixing what they know that they changed... bugs are kind of just bi-products of software development. I don't know much about they can be avoided or how exactly they come about, but it isn't like they can just pin-point what went wrong because they know what design changes were made, I don't think...

I would think that there has to be some type of "lean, clean" way of coding that keeps the code structured and orderly and prevents weird things from happening, but I really have no idea. I just know a bit about how to simplify the design of 3D models... the theory, and stuff like that, and DESIGNING efficiently. Coding however, is an entirely different beast. It's not always spelled out for you, what exactly is happening and why.

Did I mention Halo 3? 

Halo 3's aiming system was bad, but not Halo 5 bad. Halo 3's aiming was at least consistent, so you could get used to it. Halo 5's aiming system is bad on a whole other level. 

MCC Halo 3 is a different beast entirely too. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Ok, so just to clear this up... You're ok with 343 creating a FPS game where the aiming mechanics are still broken 1.5 years after release? Even though they already claimed to fix the aiming before?

I'm not trying to "pull a frank" as you so adequately put it, but come on man. I can understand defending 343 on some aspects of the game that aren't directly in their control, but the core mechanic of FPS games is the aiming. I have never played another console FPS that has the inconsistent aiming issues that H5 has.

Also I find it funny that you bring up MCC in your defense of 343.

I didn't defend it. I said lets wait and see before we say it was a easy fix or not. That's not defending. And I said "pull" a frank because he likes to attack stuff without all the info.

never did I say it was acceptable. Or really even defend 343. I just said wait a bit for all the information before assuming it was easy or whatever.

I don't even know how you came to conclude that I brought up MCC to defend them. If you had bothered to read anything I said you would have realized I said MCC proves that even having lots of money and people means you can still put out a shitty broken product.

Many peoples' complaints from day one have been "the aiming is fucked". At no point did anyone have a handle on why it was fucked. This new revelation (along with the XIM stuff) is our first peek into why that might be. 

The sensitivity and acceleration features didn't help anyone or solve anything. 

There has been plenty of discussion. The acceleration options do work.  You accelerate to full turning speed faster if you set the acceleration higher. 343 admitted that they changed the default acceleration from previous halo's and gave us those options. The aiming being inconsistent is another matter. Not everyone seems to notice this issue so I can see how it would be hard to differentiate the two if you don't notice it or don't get inconsistent aiming at all. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I honestly don't know how people can say they've never noticed it. If you haven't noticed you must have literally no muscle memory while your aiming.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This. 

They changed it on purpose. 

For them to act like heavy aim is a vaporous mystery that is difficult to solve is grade A Trump-level bullshit

You act as though they've intentionally hurt the KEY mechanic of an FPS. Why would they do that? To what end does that accomplish?

• Upvote (+1) 1

You act as though they've intentionally hurt the KEY mechanic of an FPS. Why would they do that? To what end does that accomplish?

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever why they did it. 

The fact remains, they did it, and it was deliberate. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There has been plenty of discussion. The acceleration options do work.  You accelerate to full turning speed faster if you set the acceleration higher. 343 admitted that they changed the default acceleration from previous halo's and gave us those options. The aiming being inconsistent is another matter. Not everyone seems to notice this issue so I can see how it would be hard to differentiate the two if you don't notice it or don't get inconsistent aiming at all. 

The acceleration options work for what acceleration actually has to do with in this instance, which is the time it takes to get up to full speed - something that takes about a full revolution to achieve, and has no bearing on small twitch movements where the aiming is still wonky as hell. 

The acceleration options did not fix the underlying aiming problem that people have been grappling with from the beginning. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not like 343i messing something up is new. The completely changed Halo with H4, bombed MCC, now botched aiming with H5. All we know is that 343i did something to the aiming after the beta, and they're trying to patch it 18 months later. They obviously knew what the problem was, but didn't do anything about it.

Idea for 343 - Make profiles similar to Titanfall 2 for aiming possibilities. I never thought aiming in a First Person Shooter would be such as a hassle, but since 343 was determined to make us aim their way stemming from the beta, I think in Halo 6 it's only fair to give us the aiming that we prefer.

Carbon copy the aiming functionalities of

• Halo CE
  • Halo 2
  • Halo 3
  • Halo Reach
  • Halo 4
  • Halo 2A
  • Halo 5

And let us pick how we want our reticule to slug across the screen.

Titanfall 2 did this and it was godlike. I want to copy all the good things from these other AAA titles.

• Upvote (+1) 8