Sign in to follow this  
phil

Tom French appointed Multiplayer Director

Here are my predictions with tom french in the future

He will be extremely transparent in the first few months, then he will just go into the shadows just like bravo and sketch did, except he is a mutliplayer designer.

He will take in some changes, but he will ignore most feedback just like all the multiplayer designers did in the past.

If he finds something controversial he will just post a survey onto waypoint and will find a 90% to 10% bias and will not consider anything (just like the sprint survey). 

I just beg to god I'm wrong, I just want halo to be good again.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Im sure Tom French will do great in his position.He's more than some random developer that was put in the spot. This is Tom French we're talking about.

The guy doesnt hate Halo. H5's forge is the most powerful creation tool on the Xbox. Himself and his team wouldnt put that much effort into it if they didnt love what they were making. And the only thing holding his work back is the console.

I get some of you are timid, because he's from 343, and you think he's going to be like all the others. But look at his record. Hes done nothing but good for forge, and hasnt warranted any kind of backlash for his short time as MP Director.

In conclusion, hes a good dev with a love for Halo and his Pig. Give him a chance

• Upvote (+1) 4

i think he'll be good but no matter what i feel 343 will follow flavour of the month trends like that dorky kid in school who just wanted to be popular, hold firmly onto sprint like it's some kind of vital organ and further push their ideas and develop them further into un-halo territiory, while further ignoring 'classic' style.

my bets are not going fully into hero shooter territory but half-assing it by utilizing some of the philosophies that hero shooters use, big team will further be destroyed by the want for a halo battlefield game, vehicles will continue to play like shit, playlists will still be a mess, new poor functioning playlists will take precedence over mainstay playlists, movement abilities will be downplayed because now CoD use them less (due to negative reception) and the campaign will feel as disjointed to halo 4 and 5, as halo 5 did to halo 4.

Despite this there will be advertisement that the game will be more true to its roots than ever before and that they learnt from their mistakes and wont make those mistakes again.

• Upvote (+1) 3

He also was a mission designer on Halo 4.

Any idea what missions he did? I'm fully expecting it to be the good missions.

Ut4 does it :)

The way UT does it seems so convoluted. I feel anything more than 2 inputs at a time is unnecessary.

The way UT does it seems so convoluted. I feel anything more than 2 inputs at a time is unnecessary.

What do you mean? Isn't it just move + crouch?

What do you mean? Isn't it just move + crouch?

Slide + Dash + Move, or Slide + Double Tap a direction.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think slide boosting in Halo 5 is actually one of the biggest flaws in the game right now. I am fine with Slide as a feature, as long as jumping afterwards does propel you to the other side of the map instantly. (maybe that is just sprints fault though)

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think slide boosting in Halo 5 is actually one of the biggest flaws in the game right now. I am fine with Slide as a feature, as long as jumping afterwards does propel you to the other side of the map instantly. (maybe that is just sprints fault though)

Slide seems cool until you think about the fact that it absolutely ruins hitboxes in pretty much every game in which it's featured. Particularly obnoxious in a game like Halo with relatively longer kill times and headshots that still actually mean something.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ut4 does it :)

UT4 does it, but slide is used like 80 percent of the time used for map movement to get under map hurdles. There are specific dodge+slide and wall-dodge+ slide movement "short-cuts" on maps that can get u to an item faster or give u a nice sneaky entrance. Although a boost dodge into a knee slide with Flak gun is pretty effective especially if u know an enemy is coming at u hot around a corner!  :D  Every single movement mechanic in UT has a clear and specific purpose(except translocator in CTF that shit is just fun though like the grappling hook from QW CTF lol), and can be chained together in unison to gain momentum and move faster as seen below on DM-Lea. Only game that can challenge it in that department is Quake(which certainly has tighter,faster movement physics), but I think UT4 utilizes its movement system in a greatly intricate and fun fashion that is easy to pick up on. Like the way it is on DM-Lea in UT4 is quite near perfection. Multiple strategies depending on spawn and play-style,countless skill jumps/chain possibilities, balanced map flow, dynamic item placement, multiple ways to deny/contest power items/positions, interactive shield barriers you can shock combo through, beautiful art design and zero visual clutter,ect.. I never get tired of playing this map(originally a UT2004 user-created map) prob a top 5 map all-time for me. I just love old-school map design like this with a cool modern twist, its FPS perfection modern shooters cannot attempt to replicate.No animations or sprint immersion required. :kappa:   https://youtu.be/MFXt0V3rAOk?t=83

Also, for the person who complained about the old style of having to double-tap to dodge in UT(its ingrained in my muscle memory so its natural to me lol) in UT4 the devs made it so you can now single-tap dodge by assigning dodge to a key(or STD as we call it lol) and then just holding down a directional key+the single-tap dodge key you assigned. its alot easier on newer players for sure, but its hard to teach an old dog new tricks as they say. Sort of like how some people still Claw in Halo despite it being slightly awkward out of habit from playing older games.  ;) Anyways, there is my daily reminder to play UT4 the best modern Arena FPS on the market! Thank you.  :glasses:

https://youtu.be/knSzJbkofek?t=73 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Slide seems cool until you think about the fact that it absolutely ruins hitboxes in pretty much every game in which it's featured. Particularly obnoxious in a game like Halo with relatively longer kill times and headshots that still actually mean something.

I thoroughly agree. As someone who is also dumb enough to have played Destiny, I hate preparing for someone to come around the corner only for them to be flattened along the ground.

If it just used the crouching hitbox somehow and simply kept full momentum I wouldn't have as much of an issue with such an annoying and otherwise unnecessary mechanic.

See, I 1000% agree with you that CE is without comparison, and I definitely find that a lot of these people give H2 and H3 too much credit. H3 produced a lot of great memories for a lot of people. It introduced Forge, which was fucking epic - I had been dying to create my own maps since 2002. But H3 was -fucking trash- gameplay-wise. If you go into the MCC slayer playlist and get voted into a non-H:CE game, the H2 games feel weird but still pretty awesome. H3 is fucking garbage.

But here's the thing - I can't follow you all the way to "therefore Halo 5 is just another point on that chart". And the reason is precisely because of how trashy H3, Reach and H4 felt in comparison to even H2 (forget CE for a second, since it lives in an entirely different realm). A lot of people on these boards seem to think H5 is our worst installment yet, and that is just ludicrous to me. There are definitely gimmicky aspects to the gameplay, the artwork is uninspired, and you can tell that they made a lot of decisions for all the wrong reasons. But to ignore its many bright spots is just stupid. The H5 pistol is a MAJOR fucking upgrade from basically every utility weapon since the H2 BR. H5 pistol battles can actually be won or lost consistently based on skill. Some H5 pros consistently shit on other H5 pros in pistol fights, so there's depth there. The movement system was clearly shitty pandering to the COD folks, but a dispassionate assessment of the current H5 meta simply has to conclude that all's well that ends well. The movement system is complex, yes, but it does add actual depth. You can make amazing plays using cleverness and quick-witted or outright skillful movement.

Anyway, the TL;DR is that yes, 343 blows major chunks, and yes, Halo has been in freefall for a long time, but H5 has a lot of encouraging aspects to it. Just because there's questionable sandbox choices on a lot of the maps doesn't mean we should invalidate some of the skill gap we did get. In Halo CE, you could easily organize 7 teams of 2 such that the first team would get 50-0'd by the second, who would in turn get 50-0'd by the third, who would then get 50-0'd by the fourth etc. etc. I'm not ready to close the door on the possibility that we one day return to a skill-gap has cavernous as the one you have in CE. That's not a prediction, I'm just saying the tunnel is not completely dark.

Play a custom without the movement tech, the weapons are far less skillful if it wasn't for the movement in the game, maybe someone can correct me but it feels like the highest magnetism we've had in a halo game, which is only less felt due to the string of movement.

I want there to be more depth in movement, but do we want want to accomplish that by this current trend of button press movement abilities? I'd be more of a proponent of tying it to the map design (slopes, gravs, jump pads, jumps) and physics system, or to start creating more weapons which provide some sort of additional movement (brute shot jumping, sword lunges). The newer cods (which have started to move away from this from negative reception) and titanfall (both games died early) are really the only games that do this now (to this extent), i feel it's not too liked by players.

the pistol is really the only encouraging thing you mentioned, tom french and halo community members in the development could also be seen as positives, but in terms of the direction or execution i cant think of much more positives than that, maybe that the game dropped with a nice amount of ok 4v4 maps, though lets be honest are any of them better than good?

obviously everything is subjective and that my experience comes into play but even though h2 wasn't CE and 3 was a sluggish mess with poor hit detection and (default) reach was quite slow and random with poor map variety i feel that they all had a great list of strengths to their design in some way, i cant think of much for h5 at all, especially none that offer replayability.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Im sure Tom French will do great in his position.He's more than some random developer that was put in the spot. This is Tom French we're talking about.

The guy doesnt hate Halo. H5's forge is the most powerful creation tool on the Xbox. Himself and his team wouldnt put that much effort into it if they didnt love what they were making. And the only thing holding his work back is the console.

I get some of you are timid, because he's from 343, and you think he's going to be like all the others. But look at his record. Hes done nothing but good for forge, and hasnt warranted any kind of backlash for his short time as MP Director.

In conclusion, hes a good dev with a love for Halo and his Pig. Give him a chance

Of course, we should give everything a chance really.

But still, there's something that doesn't feel right. I don't know, but I'm open minded to see what he does.

Remember when everyone thought Frankie was supposed to be the savior of halo around the time of Reach NBNS?..............Then we got Halo 4. We've all been burned too many times. I have zero confidence any of the mechanics that most of the community wants gone will be removed.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Remember when everyone thought Frankie was supposed to be the savior of halo around the time of Reach NBNS?

Ahhh... The good days of being young and naive.   :)

• Upvote (+1) 4

No sprint no radar, at least for one playlist please. I know 343 get's sick of hearing it but I get sick of saying it too lol. I feel like just for competitive would be the compromise here, and they seem fine with segregating war zone from regular Halo settings/maps, so what's holding them back from having a bad ass set of smaller maps and super competitive settings for the esports scene as well? Having the game play like the vanilla settings can be very important, but usually that comes with new games, and Halo is very old so we may have to rethink that ideology. I have no problem with them keeping sprint/radar in, but I just don't enjoy it at all personally, would love to be able to enjoy at least 1 playlist in new Halo games:(

I really wish the competitive focus would be put on 2v2 going forward.

Tho I love 4v4, that would definitely give Halo something too set itself apart from other games. Lots of 1v1 games and 4v4/5v5 games but not many if any 2v2 games at all. Would make forming a team much easier too, and debatably easier to watch. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

See I would be ok with this because I only have one friend.  

It really does make it way easier to play the game competitively. You don't need to find three other people to team with. I used to always play MCC CE with my roommate pretty much every day for over a year. That is something we wouldn't have done if it was primarily a 4v4 game. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

I really wish the competitive focus would be put on 2v2 going forward.

Same. Trying to find that many players that synergize well with you AND trying to keep track of 3 different teammates is a chore for such a tournament level in Halo IMO.

Larger player counts can be fun in their own right, especially BTB, but it just doesn't mesh as well for competitive as 2v2 Halo does honestly.

I'm so sick of having to sit and wait in a lobby to find 8 players for a random custom scrim. Let alone even thinking about trying to actually get good in a team setting.

• Upvote (+1) 3