Sign in to follow this  
phil

Tom French appointed Multiplayer Director

Anyway, Tom French has done a lot for us in a shit time, so let's not let a couple of ambiguous tweets - sour as they might sound - skew our opinion of him just yet.

If anything, he might just provide us with the transparency the multiplayer team sorely needs. That in itself is a net positive.
  • Upvote (+1) 8

If anything, he might just provide us with the transparency the multiplayer team sorely needs. That in itself is a net positive.

^ this hopefully he stays as transparent as he has been.

Having open dialog and honesty would go a LONG way.

• Upvote (+1) 3

We'll see. Management may pull his strings on that one a bit.

Weird to say, but I've only heard of 3-4 of those. Granted my YouTube preferences have changed.

Somehow the Halo YT scene is still sizeable and like with anything else notable names change as older names step down and new ones take their place. 

Its simple, sorry you don't understand it.  I enjoy Halo 5 more than Halo 2.  What I remember of Halo 2 is them adding dual-wielding of SMGs as a primary marketing strategy (on the hype videos to release etc).  Dual-wielding was the opposite of what made Halo CE great.  The game went backwards.  I remember inferior gameplay to Halo CE in every way and I remember modders.  I've already done things cooler in Halo 5 and have memories/clips far greater than anything H2 did for me.  I don't know why its so hard for you to understand a different opinion, like hello?

Neg 117 - no one change my rep dammit

I didn't understand your post because your original has almost no resemblance to this post:

Not to mention you guys forget how fucked up those old games were.  Halo 2 was absoutely RUINED by modders at any level of competitive play but all you guys talk about is how good all of this shit was like you've completely forgotten how much has changed...for the better. 

No mention of dual wielding, no comparison to CE, no comparison to H5. You brought up modders and that's it, like that was your grand argument that crushes H2, as if someone can't like a game that has some flaws.

I have no problem with you preferring H5 to H2, but the way you presented that opinion was rude and stupid.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Dude, we're not the minority.

Look at the H2 and H3 population. Now look at the Reach, H4 and H5 population. People don't want this shit. They never have. YOU are the minority. Get that through your head.

To be fair, he might be right on the majority of the minority of those that have stuck around or found the series since Reach.

Bungie had a birthday party with 10 kids and had chocolate cake - now 343i had a birthday party and there are 3 kids and 2 of them want carrot cake now.

• Upvote (+1) 8

To be fair, he might be right on the majority of the minority of those that have stuck around or found the series since Reach.

Bungie had a birthday party with 10 kids and had chocolate cake - now 343i had a birthday party and there are 3 kids and 2 of them want carrot cake now.

343 had a birthday party, set out invitations to those 10 kids, those 10 kids came, 343 set the cake on fire, 7 kids leave, 3 kids stay, 2 of them want carrot cake but 343 shoves the ashes down 2 of the guys' throats and 1 of them likes it.

That's more accurate now.

#neverforgetmcc

• Upvote (+1) 9

I think he'll be good with communicating with the community, but my hopes aren't very high after that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can we as Team Beyond write an open letter to him with what we want from the future of Halo multiplayer? Gameplay things like a real utility weapon and no sprint, all the way to stuff like party restrictions. Something short but sweet that we can sign off on as a community to really get our consensus "opinion" together?

Right, well, getting back to the topic at hand.

I feel the best way to get something like this to succeed is to list off what abilities and other changes we don't have a problem with (either ones that exist already or future potential abilities), before we lead into general sandbox discussion and things we do have a problem with.

If all they see is "strong utility, no sprint, small but diverse sandbox, better maps" they're just going to write us off as nostalgia obsessed and unwilling to compromise on anything.  We need to show that we are willing to work with them on some things but unwilling to abandon our principles on other things.

• Upvote (+1) 4

How about we not respond to Jabbo.

We could do that.

I feel like his posts should all just be deleted and given a timeout. He's just trolling what could have been a serious thread. 

I'm not really optimistic of this change. Something could happen, or it could stay the same fake halo we have now. like he said in his tweet, he doesn't have full control. If cursed lemon was the MP design lead we could probably still end up with a bad halo game like h5 because of that sole reason. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Right, well, getting back to the topic at hand.

I feel the best way to get something like this to succeed is to list off what abilities and other changes we don't have a problem with (either ones that exist already or future potential abilities), before we lead into general sandbox discussion and things we do have a problem with.

If all they see is "strong utility, no sprint, small but diverse sandbox, better maps" they're just going to write us off as nostalgia obsessed and unwilling to compromise on anything. We need to show that we are willing to work with them on some things but unwilling to abandon our principles on other things.

Stabilize works,thrust is controversial but imo if tweaked to allow us to fire during and a shorter distance works.As long as aim assist isn't obnoxiously high thrust becomes much less annoying.I don't like ads from an aesthetic standpoint.Sprint and all it's children need to leave.Clamber removes the need to learn how to crouch jump.Ground pound I'm personally unsure of.

We actually have a good topic going guys. Just ignore the troll and discuss whether Tom French can save halo. 

Short answer: 100 percent not a chance, that ship has sailed. 

Long Answer: 343 has already made it clear they are here to bastardize Halo in order to boost sales to the casual military fan-base(which they have already done to unsurprisingly poor results) what makes you think Halo 6 will suddenly be Halo again? Not unless Tom French locks the rest of the 343 employees out of the building before release, and deletes sprint/ADS/Spartan Heroes(just taking a wild guess here but it actually sounds plausible) from the source code. Halo 6: Combat  Animations Evolved with be 343's legacy with Halo MP imo. They have forced a permanent rift into the community by forcing their uninspired generic idea of Halo on the community splitting it into two main subsets "Modern(Call of Halo)" and "classic(H1-H3)"(HINT: Successful,upwards trending franchises DONT do this because they are smart) that has killed major subsets of it all because they dont know how/nor care how to properly build upon Halo's core gameplay and still do not which has all but doomed the game for further failure until further notice(or miracle in this case).

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'd rather take a few minutes to try and save a few of you lost souls.  Already got a few who finally understand reason and have admitted it.  I feel bad seeing all of you beat your heads against then wall over and over when, half the time, you don't even know what you are truly mad about.  Not to mention you guys forget how fucked up those old games were.  Halo 2 was absoutely RUINED by modders at any level of competitive play but all you guys talk about is how good all of this shit was like you've completely forgotten how much has changed...for the better.  I think thruster, sprint, and clamber are some of the ways FPS games HAVE to evolve for console players and am mind boggled by so many of you who don't get it then go whine to actual 343 employees on twitter daily.

I literally just signed into my account at work to let you know that this is one of the dumbest messages I've ever seen on these forums. As if modding is a core gameplay mechanic.

Shut the fuck up.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Stabilize works,thrust is controversial but imo if tweaked to allow us to fire during and a shorter distance works.As long as aim assist isn't obnoxiously high thrust becomes much less annoying.I don't like ads from an aesthetic standpoint.Sprint and all it's children need to leave.Clamber removes the need to learn how to crouch jump.Ground pound I'm personally unsure of.

Slide is fun, but needs to function more like other games Titanfall 2. Trying to make slide work without sprint would be a challenge, though.

Slide is fun, but needs to function more like other games Titanfall 2. Trying to make slide work without sprint would be a challenge, though.

Ut4 does it :)

Trying to make slide work without sprint would be a challenge, though.

Honestly I think that the answer would be relatively simple. Make it momentum based along with the melees.

Falling from enough hight would 1-hit melee in place of Ground Pound for example. Assuming no melee lunge.

Anyway, Tom French has done a lot for us in a shit time, so let's not let a couple of ambiguous tweets - sour as they might sound - skew our opinion of him just yet.

What has he done? Never heard of him.