Sign in to follow this  
phil

Tom French appointed Multiplayer Director

Public just finds out he gets promoted and already badgering him for immediate changes. He was just joking because the vocal minority (most of you here) only want to play Halo CE/2/3 because you were simply better at those simpler games...more likely you just thought you were but you've always been bad. Please go start a Halo 2 only forums and take the dead horse over there. I want to see Halo continue to evolve as hardware and technology evolves. I'd block all your asses too if I was them.

What's your H5 rank and KDA almighty God?
  • Upvote (+1) 9

Public just finds out he gets promoted and already badgering him for immediate changes.  He was just joking because the vocal minority (most of you here) only want to play Halo CE/2/3 because you were simply better at those simpler games...more likely you just thought you were but you've always been bad.  Please go start a Halo 2 only forums and take the dead horse over there.  I want to see Halo continue to evolve as hardware and technology evolves.  I'd block all your asses too if I was them.

Here's a crazy thought: People might have been better at the "simpler" Halos because they were better and worth playing more to get better in? If you don't play a game you won't be as good in it. Maybe you should try thinking before you type this garbage out.

h2 customs were just fine

Exactly. They were 90% of my Halo 2 matches and that's how multiplayer should be at its best.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Here's a crazy thought: People might have been better at the "simpler" Halos because they were better and worth playing more to get better in? If you don't play a game you won't be as good in it. Maybe you should try thinking before you type this garbage out.

Exactly. They were 90% of my Halo 2 matches and that's how multiplayer should be at its best.

Ladies...ladies... 1 at a time please.  There is enough Jabbo for everyone.  Please form a single file line and go ahead and write your highest Halo 2 rank on a folded piece of paper.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 25

Twitter banter aside, I can't imagine Tom French being any worse than what we've already had. Even if he holds similar views to Quinn, I think his ability to execute ideas competently, the fact that he's relatively open-minded and talks to the community, and the fact that he has yet to make a total ass of himself are going to work in his and our favor. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd rather take a few minutes to try and save a few of you lost souls.  Already got a few who finally understand reason and have admitted it.  I feel bad seeing all of you beat your heads against then wall over and over when, half the time, you don't even know what you are truly mad about.  Not to mention you guys forget how fucked up those old games were.  Halo 2 was absoutely RUINED by modders at any level of competitive play but all you guys talk about is how good all of this shit was like you've completely forgotten how much has changed...for the better.  I think thruster, sprint, and clamber are some of the ways FPS games HAVE to evolve for console players and am mind boggled by so many of you who don't get it then go whine to actual 343 employees on twitter daily.

I don't think those things are necessary.  How does that make me a "lost soul" and what am I "not getting" here?

No one has claimed the classic Halo games were perfect.  Dig deep enough and you can find some pretty vicious criticisms of Halo 2 and Halo 3 around here, and even a few nitpicks about Ce as well. If need be I'll even provide some of my own. All people are claiming is that the classic Halo games...were actually Halo games.  There's also a portion of the Beyond community that prefers not to frame the issue that way, but still argues that the classic Halo games were more competitive than modern ones regardless, and thus more enjoyable for the competitive gamer.

Can you objectively support your position that these mechanics are necessary for the evolution of console FPS?  I can support my position that they are not, citing Overwatch as an example. Overwatch has been a massive success yet either doesn't have these things, or has them on one or two heroes in the game that aren't even the most popular.

I do know what I'm mad about.  I am not saying this to be elitist or to brag, but I've played tons of different shooters with a wide variety of (movement) mechanics, as well as plenty of other kinds of games.  This gives me more perspective on the topic than a typical Halo 5 player who has only played Halo 3 or CoD4 and doesn't even know what a strafe jump is or how something like FoV impacts perception of speed.  I know exactly what I dislike about sprint and other mechanics, through hands on experience of games that both have and don't have the mechanics.  If you've come to different conclusions that's fine, but don't profess that I'm being ignorant and unreasonable just because my view differs.

• Upvote (+1) 8

is jabbo a troll from r/halo, and can I delete him if so

It doesn't matter where he's from, its just evident that he isn't interested in having a legitimate discussion.

You can click here to access the "reiku78" menu.

I'd block all your asses too if I was them.

I think you've already mentally "blocked" any ideas that don't fit in your worldview, so literally blocking people would be a little superfluous.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Favyn and LateNight are two of the only Halo youtubers left and Tom French just treats them with mocking contempt lol. Gotta love 343...

The actman is a great one too, and quite popular

It doesn't matter where he's from, its just evident that he isn't interested in having a legitimate discussion.

You can click here to access the "reiku78" menu.

I think you've already mentally "blocked" any ideas that don't fit in your worldview, so literally blocking people would be a little superfluous.

The funny part to all of this is that I'm in this position with you all because I actually like Halo 5.  Every one of my posts has been supported of it.  If anything, that mental block is on both sides I'm just well in the minority here on these boards.

• Downvote (-1) 3

Ladies...ladies... 1 at a time please.  There is enough Jabbo for everyone.  Please form a single file line and go ahead and write your highest Halo 2 rank on a folded piece of paper.

He literally was just promoted and got bombarded by salty kids on Saturday morning about the same shit they' heard from the same small group of people.  If anyone is going to influence change in Halo its the pro's and they are already working with them.  This place might know more about that if you didn't like to insult and run every pro off if they don't hate 343 as much as you. 

• Downvote (-1) 9

Hey buddy, Halo has been in a constant state of devolving since Halo 1 fifteen years ago. The only thing complex about Halo 5 is the fact you need a modded controller or a claw grip to play it at a high level. Halo 5 is the same shit as Halo 2 and Halo 3, just different weapons and abilities. Team shoot, block spawn A so enemies spawn at spawn B, and campy slayer games with no incentive to move.

What has Halo 5 evolved in? The time to get between point A and point B with sprint on stretched maps is the same time it takes to get between point A and point B in Halo 2/3. The only difference is you have to lower your weapon in Halo 5. In Halo 2 and Halo 3, people were in permanent sprint compared to Halo 5. That's not evolving buddy. What about the radar and automatic gameplay we had for 2 years? We went from precision weapon battles and outsmarting people to camping while watching radar and having an automatic out. Not quite evolution either.

Halo 1 is 1000 times more complex than any Halo game. The fact you included it in your "simpler than Halo 5" list shows you don't have a clue what you're talking about. What has Halo 5 evolved in compared to other Halos?

Those are straight up opinions...opinions popular on this board but not shared by most of the playerbase.  Halo looks better, runs better (60 fucking frames less you forgot), dedicated servers.  More mobility options = higher skill ceiling, they brought back a strong starting utility weapon (H5 pistol compared to CE pistol). The pistol people begged for since CE but Bungie absolutely destroyed the gun.  Pull your heads out of the ground.  They are taking risks, sure some didn't work but you gotta do that in this business.  The pro's have helped him with competitive settings - you KNOW that will transfer to H6 and the development game.  So yea...grats on your forum points.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 16

Those are straight up opinions...opinions popular on this board but not shared by most of the playerbase.  Halo looks better, runs better (60 fucking frames less you forgot), dedicated servers.  More mobility options = higher skill ceiling, they brought back a strong starting utility weapon (H5 pistol compared to CE pistol). The pistol people begged for since CE but Bungie absolutely destroyed the gun.  Pull your heads out of the ground.  They are taking risks, sure some didn't work but you gotta do that in this business.  The pro's have helped him with competitive settings - you KNOW that will transfer to H6 and the development game.  So yea...grats on your forum points.

so whats the difference between his/this forums opinions and you opinions?

It's not like you're stating facts here....

And what makes you think you know what "most of the playerbase" wants?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 5 currently 34th most popular game on xbox one in my region but keep defending it, everything's fine, *insert everything's fine gif*

21st in us store...

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Those are straight up opinions...opinions popular on this board but not shared by most of the playerbase. Halo looks better, runs better (60 fucking frames less you forgot), dedicated servers. More mobility options = higher skill ceiling, they brought back a strong starting utility weapon (H5 pistol compared to CE pistol). The pistol people begged for since CE but Bungie absolutely destroyed the gun. Pull your heads out of the ground. They are taking risks, sure some didn't work but you gotta do that in this business. The pro's have helped him with competitive settings - you KNOW that will transfer to H6 and the development game. So yea...grats on your forum points.

Mobility options haven't raised the skill ceiling... they raised the skill floor... making the game less accessible.

They've lowered the skill ceiling because the margin-of-error has increased since People can use the Spartan Abilities nullify mistakes.

We now have a game that's harder to get into, but has much smaller skill gap.

The h5 magnum isn't strong in comparison to the CE magnum (which had a .9s .6s kill time). The h5 magnum is weaker (1.18 ttk i belive) than just about every gun In the game. This is part of the reason why ARs and most rifles have (finally) been removed from hcs.

It's cool to like h5 ( i like h5 even though its a bad halo game), but if you are going to argue, bring facts.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 2

So what happened with Quinn in all this? Is he finished at 343?

Nope. He's still there.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Who did he replace?

And honestly, his responses don't seem all that great.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Mobility options haven't raised the skill ceiling... they raised the skill floor... making the game less accessible.

They've lowered the skill ceiling because the margin-of-error has increased since People can use the Spartan Abilities nullify mistakes.

We now have a game that's harder to get into, but has much smaller skill gap.

The h5 magnum isn't strong in comparison to the CE magnum (which had a .9s kill time). The h5 magnum is weaker (1.18 ttk i belive) than just about every gun In the game. This is part of the reason why ARs and most rifles have (finally) been removed from hcs.

It's cool to like h5 ( i like h5 even though its a bad halo game), but if you are going to argue, bring facts.

You call those facts?  The h5 magnum is the single closet thing we've had to the H CE magnum with balancing in mind.    H2 gave us dual wielding and removed the magnum from being effective at all.  That's a FACT for you.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 12

Who did he replace?

And honestly, his responses don't seem all that great.

Perfect example of hivemind mentality here.  Tom French went from being a praised dev here who has good communication and made good forge changes to now being shunned because he made light of the vocal minority's "bring back classic halo - only say good things about it or we riot."

"hmmm yess I don't like his responses because he has not agreed to give us only the good things we remember about classic Halo back. Pitchforks!!"

• Downvote (-1) 7

I'm down with Tom French having a bigger say in the game. Like it or not, he busted his ass giving the community what they wanted in forge, which I can appreciate. We can never blame one person at 343i for how the game ends up. It's a part of microsoft, which means it runs through a lot of people, just for approval. 

• Upvote (+1) 4